Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images

Reflective Foil Insulation

I found this at Lowe's (24"x 50' yes feet, roll) for $30.22. It looks like a bubble wrap with foil over it. Was wondering if it would work if placed between the hammock and DIY UQ. I don't know how make a link to get you directly to the site, sorry.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I think you mean Reflectiz
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't know about using it for an UQ but it makes great coozies for freezer bag cooking. My husband and I made a whole bunch of them for our Boy Scout Troop with this stuff.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    like most pads you will have problems with condensation .....
    may of us have used it at some point in time ....it's ok to use i would add a CCF pad with it ad well..so your not laying against the reflectix ...
    but i would use it in the hammock...and not in the layers...thats just me
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It's been done before... If I remember correctly its not overwhelmingly successful for most people but some like it. If it's anything like the reflective windshield screens I was not impressed. But as I say others use that kid of thing quite a bit with what they claim is success. HYOH
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz ripstop (channel end)
    Tarp
    DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images

Why not?

I've done various things with this stuff. There are many uses: insoles, cozies, pads, etc. Putting it between the hammock and your UQ as you suggest would probably add some warmth, but it might not conform to the shape of the hammock very well. This could make larger, hard to warm, air pockets or drafts. It is bulky as it does not compress. I often use a small square with duct-taped edges for a sit-upon. Why not buy some and have fun experimenting.
    Last edited by skistrees; 10-02-2010 at 06:37. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    3-Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Reflecting is what it does.

'm brand knew here but I have a lot of experience with Reflectix having installed it in a few yurts.

So we loose heat in a few big ways when we're out there sleeping away in our slings of pure comfort: evaporation, convection/conduction (ie. cold wind or sitting on snow taking our heat) and radiation (electromagnetic waves). We keep dry to prevent the evaporation from cooling us off. UQ, TQ and pads are insulation that keep convection/conduction from cooling us off and create a barrier from cold. And yes Relectix will reflect back your body's radiant heat just like a space blanket... BUT it does not breath and it creates a barrier between you and your insulations which can make your down/pad etc. not as effective. And the farther away from your body it is, the less efficient it becomes at reflecting so it's not very useful as your outer layer.

Can it keep you warm? No doubt but I think best used as a cozy as others have said. Reflecting radiant heat is exactly how thermoses work. Keeps food warm and lets you hold a boiling pot!

All that being said, I've found it to work under my legs when I use a 3/4 UQ and I didn't have a pad.

Over simplified but that's the idea. Reflectix is amazing stuff. It's the only thing between the canvans of my friends yurt in Vertmont and as long as there is a radiant heat source (wood stove) it's sooooooooooooooooooo warm. The walls are less than a 1/2 thick!!

Hope that helps. Love this forum!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yep,

Use it in my RV windows during cold weather. Works great. Use a scrap as a sit pad, keeps my bum warm(er) in the snow. larger pieces work as sleds!

I've used a piece under my legs successfully. Don't know if I'd use it as a pad replacement, since it's plastic...

RV supply stores typically sell it off a 4' wide roll by the foot if you want some...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    We have used that successfully with the scout troop. Some of the adults who don't have a double layer hammock slide the reflectix inside of a fleece bag to avoid sliding around too much. Typically, we are in sleeping bags, so that provides the space needed for the reflectix to work well. Also, putting a roll in the truck is a pretty inexpensive way to be prepared to help a scout who forgot his insulation.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I have a small square of it I use to keep my feet warm, seeing I have a 3/4 under quilt. Plus I use that same piece to sit on and also can put my pack on it if I need to. But I have never tried to use it to sleep on.So I cant tell you how that would work.
    I do however love it in my feet area it keeps the cold air away from my little footies;;;;lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast