Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

19E->Carvers Gap and another gear failure! but not a Dutch Clip.

This weekend I did a conditioning and gear testing hike from 19E to Carvers Gap. I enjoyed the new 4Dog Esbit burner, the new MLD Exodus pack but experienced major failure with a Nano-7 hammock. From 19E to my campsite was a little over 11 miles with a lot of gain. I was whooped and slept like the dead for about an hour when I heard a strange thunder sound. I'd heard thunder and experienced big wind and big rain all day but this thunder sound was different. It was the sound of fabric tearing! The fabric sheered completely through dumping me onto the ground. I was lucky picking a spot free of rock or root and I was only a foot off the ground.
    It was not a serious problem, I had the pad I use in the MLD Exodus and a pad I insert into the foot box of the Warbonnet Mamba, so with tarp and top quilt still good I simply became an ultralightweight thru-hiker grounded but warm and cozy enough--I was tired enough to get back to sleep and slept until 0700. The hammock failure occurred right before 10pm.
    I weigh in right at 196 and I thought the Nano-7 was rate to 300 pounds? This hammock had only been used 2-3 times before for a tot. of 45ish minutes dialing in the lay....your thoughts please. If you watch the vid you'll see the failure occurred behind the whoopied channel--about 1-2 inches toward the main body of the hammock. I would have figured failure in the sewn channel but that was not the case
    Other gear tested was the MLD cuben poncho which performed wonderfully. The little 4dog esbit burner also did a great job and confirmed in the field that 1/2 tab will heat enough water for an inertia meal.
    Since this was a 'training' hike for Vermont next month I'm glad to know what works and what doesn't. For me I'll have to bight the bullet on the additional 4-5 ounces the Traveler will cost me but at least I know it probably won't fail.
    Here is a link to the vid, at 3:58 is the failed hammock.
    Also note I hung on Dutch Clips and (and Dutch Biners) and can't wait to hang on them again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyodIWafyog

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Great video, MM. Thanks for taking us along. Do you think that tear on the Nano started at one of the edges where the fabric is under more stress? The first foot or so of edge at each end might benefit from some reinforcement. Alternatively, build in some stretchiness. I'm not sure how you'd do that on a gathered end hammock, but when I cut down my hammock to add adjustable end strings I put a section of bungee in the outside string. It holds the edge up when I'm lying down, but lets the side stretch so I can sit comfortably. Before I added the bungee, I had the edge strings break when I sat too close to the edge.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    MM, sorry to see the failure. Glad you had backup. Like the chair. Thanks for the vid.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I had one of my 1.7 ripstops hammocks fail in the fabric just beyond where your heels go. My friend who was in it goes probably 220-230#s. He had to go to ground for a long weekend.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Found this review online... I bet there's more like him and you out there.

Are you gonna contact Grand trunk?

Grand Trunk UltraLight Travel Hammock Review
    Feb 16, 2007
    Backpacking code guru
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Reviewed at:
    www.Hammocks.com

explosive failure
    ★☆☆☆☆1.0
    Pros

Comfortable
    Good size/fit
    Lightweight
    Cons

High quality
    Not durable
    Best Uses

Backpacking

"I loved it the first night...I slept like a baby compared to sleeping on the ground/sleeping pad in a tent. But it didn't last through my entire 4-day backpacking trip. The hammock ripped completely down the middle on the second day of use. A tiny 1/8-inch hole, apparently created by a zipper or sharp object in my pack, caused a huge sudden tear in the hammock while a friend was carefully getting on it to 'test it' during the day. He is not that heavy (180 lbs)...certainly under the rated strength stated by the manufacturer (250 lbs). I had to sleep on the ground the next two nights. The nylon used is thin and vulnerable to small holes which can cause sudden and catastrophic failure!"

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    A tiny 1/8-inch hole, apparently created by a zipper or sharp object in my pack, caused a huge sudden tear in the hammock .... The nylon used is thin and vulnerable to small holes which can cause sudden and catastrophic failure!"

Seems to belie the name "ripSTOP" for the fabric. Or, is it ripstop at all?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

MM,
    Glad you weren't hurt and had the pad with you so you had some kind of barrier from the ground, suck's you had to go there though!
    This is now becoming worrying as there are several posts on Grand Trunk failure's, and I own the Nano 7 and love it! But I am now starting to get a little apprehensive on taking it out on my AT section hike coming up soon, I have about 5 night's out with it already and have had no problem's but my HH might be the ticket to calm my nerves whilst I go a venturing?!?!?!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    When I saw that cover shot, I said "That looks like Marta (5 Leaf Clover)". Sure enough

That tear is in about the same place as my wally world, 1.1oz, non-ripstop hammock, but a much cleaner tear.

More pictures in my gallery.

I was also puzzled by the fairly strait tear across the fabric, a few inches from the end.
    As best I could tell, there was no sign of damage that would have started the tear. The most logical explanation I could come up w/ was that the stress of swinging under weight was just to much for the light weight, bunched fabric.
    You can imagine on a larger scale that the fibers running long ways & side ways were (what's the word?) changing from a perfect X to closing up at the top/bottom, then the sides of the X.
    Finally, the weakest fiber gave up
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I never considered it before, but the risk of that kind of failure might be a good reason to use Lash-It instead of shock cord for your UQ suspension. Wouldn't you rather fall into your UQ, instead of onto the ground?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    OES spin deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Rings and straps
    Medicineman, the same thing is happening to my hammock. I'm thinking it was the whoopie sling around the ripstop fabric. I changed suspension back to rings til I get a better hammock to handle the whoopie sling. Good luck with your hammock!
    We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down. ~Robert Sweetgall

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast