Which equipment should I use

Hi Folks, I'm a complete novice when it comes to hammock camping, but I have been doing some research into some ideas on carabiners, rappel rings and hammocks that I am interested in and wondering if I am on the right track, wasting my time or other alternatives that you have used that has been trialled and tested which works like a charm.

I went on to YouTube and found 'mssparron' demonstration on using carabiners and rappel rings that seem to be quick to set up and easy to use. I will list down the equipment I have found that I am interested in.

Carabiner
    - Mummut Moses wiregate carabiner @ 27 grams

Rappel rings
    - Omega Pacific - 1.2 inch diameter; strength 20kN, 4400 Lbs breaking strain @ 34 grams

- PMI SWC Aluminium descending ring, strength 14.5 kN, 3250 Lbs, breaking strain @ 11 grams

Hammock
    (I am 6 ft and around (cough, cough!) 100 kgs so I don't know whether to go for the 'right' size or the slightly larger one)

- Hennessy Hammock - either the Deep Jungle Asym Zip (max 6 ft length) or the Deep Jungle Asym Zip XL (max 7 ft length)
    (both hammocks come with the sleeping mat).

However, I have just purchased from Ray Mears his Nanok 'Golden Eagle' 4 season (-25 degree Celsius min comfortable temp) sleeping bag. I know it’s a bit over the top with temperature and it is a synthetic bag, so it will be heavier. Why I included that is whether the hammock I thought will be too much (i.e. i don’t need the one with the sleeping mat) or other ones that could do the job just fine in winter and was made sure not to get a cold bum from wind chill (we get winters as cold as -10 degrees Celsius)

Sorry that it was a lengthy message! Please let me know of your thoughts and any advice given would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Scott

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I suggest that you watch the series of videos by Grizzly Adams (look up and to the left for a link to videos) on hammock suspension. Rap rings will work just fine, but whoopie slings are much better, IMHO.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome!
    The insulating ability of your bag will be dramatically decreased when using it in a hammock because of the loss of loft. The sleeping bag will be compressed underneath you so that is why many here use either an underquilt or a sleeping pad for bottom insulation. You can still use your bag as a top quilt but you'll need bottom insulation if you are going to be in cooler weather.

The rings and carabiner are probably the best bet for a reliable hookup. Check out trekkingnut's video. Use the thickest rings. The Omega-Pacific will do fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    The only thing on your list I can personally vouch for are the Mammut Moses biners. They really are nice.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    If you're going with descender rings (either one you list should be fine) then I assume you plan on using the garda hitch? My recommendation is to only use the garda hitch with webbing straps and not with rope, especially any of the high tech lines like Amsteel (dyneema).

If amsteel (or equivalent) can be easily had in your area, then I'd follow pedro's advice and go with whoopie slings. Easy and fun to make and just as easy to use.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts