Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    Thanks CB... I ended up trying it this afternoon, worked great. I just like the whipping to keep a little larger loop in the larkshead. Keeps it from bunching up on itself as much.

I couldn't get 550 sheath to fit over the dynaglide though (waaaay too narrow), ended up using some plastic tubing I had instead. Did you have any trouble getting the 550 sheathing on there?

Either way will work, just remember that if you do the whipping method it "might" shorten the hammock a smidge! It might not be very noticeable to some, but it is to me (might be how I lay in it to begin with?)! I had no problem with getting the 550 sheath over it! Depending on what type of para cord you are using might play/pose a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt87 View Post
    I have dynaglide woopies on mine as well. No sheaths or anything, just through the channel. I have a good number of hangs on it with no signs of wear. Once you are in the hammock it should be static load so if you aren't swinging around in it, you shouldn't get any "sawing"
    Yes you are correct, I only did it as a precautionary thing as the fabric is sooooooooo thin and it didn't add "THAT" much weight!! Also with it added the diameter increased slightly (I know not much, but!!)which helps a little!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    Awww... what's a hammock without swaying gently back and forth

It's probably not really needed, but it's thin cord and the sewn channel is designed for caribeeners to support and distribute the load. Color me paranoid but it makes me feel better
    A short piece of tubular nylon webbing should work nicely...be glad to send you some.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Plastic drinking straws as protectors in the channels? Super light. Tough. SMOOTH. Don't most people just pull the whoopie through without a protective sheath? Anyway I like the straws idea.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    A short piece of tubular nylon webbing should work nicely...be glad to send you some.
    Oldgringo, that's a great idea and very generous of you. I'll PM you my address - Thanks! Maybe I can repay the favor or send a donation to the forums in return

FWIW, regarding the straw... I used plastic tubing I had that in my electrical toolkit. No idea where it originally came from but it's somewhat similar to a drinking straw plastic. The downside with it being slippery is the whipping and the larkshead slide around some. Since it's not flexible, it ends up just getting crumpled and folded over on the ends when the larkshead tightens w/weight in the hammock. Didn't break yet, but a straw probably would split sooner or later.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I made a simple, elegant solution yesterday when installing Whoopies on my Nano7. I cut small strips of Tyvek from a mailing envelope from work and used electrical tape to secure it to the short portion of Whoopie that is inside the hammock sewn channel. Tyvek is smooth, slick stuff, and weighs nothing. Surgical tubing was a thought, but that stuff is heavy, and I got my Nano7 since I'm being a gram weenie and trying to keep my entire winter pack for a 4-day trip including food and 2 liters of water to 20 pounds. So I made a Tyvek covering. Nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12