Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    yeah which park? In South Mountain State Park, I was told no hammacks period!
    Was that specified for any particular camping areas?
    I've never used their "Family Camping" (car camping) areas, but I've hung my hammocks in the "Backpacking Camping" areas a number of times w/ no problems. Of course, I didn't ask, but I don't think they would have issues w/ hammocks in the hike in camp sites. Might depend on who you ask though.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    " ok to screw eyebolts into the trees as long as I remove them before I left. He said it wouldn't hurt the tree it would heal in no time. "
    I used to use two big screw-in eye bolts for one of thos big cotton macrame type hammocks with the wood spreader bars between two pine trees in my backyard.
    We went overseas in 2001 for 6 years, and I took the eyebolts out when we left.
    Here it is 2010 and there is still sap weeping out of the holes in the two trees at those spots!

DKPerdue

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It's pretty typical for state parks that allow camping to have verbiage in their rules to the effect "no tying anything to anything like trees or structures" which pretty much leaves out hammock camping. I think I can speak for NY and CT at least.

Here's CT's statement: "Nails, knives, or other foreign objects may not be driven into trees or park structures nor may wire or rope be fastened to trees for any purpose."

I emailed back and forth with CT's DEP, and although they will not sanction hammock camping in CT State Parks if hanging from trees or structures (even using tree huggers), they are fine with hammocks if using an independent stand in tent areas.

Luckily for me, less and less of my camping is "car camping", and the places I DO camp tend to have no such rules.

That said, I've spent rainy days at Fahnestock State Park in NY under tarps rigged from trees, and camped in my hammock at Thompson's Lake State Park with no issues. YMMV.

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    slowhike, when I got that answer I had told them upper creek (or falls, cant remember exact name) back country sites I was informed it was a new rule. Yet stone mt rangers told me no such rule exist!! This was in march of this year

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Just stealth camp 500' from a trail and you'll never be seen. Good reason to choose natural colors for your gear.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Sometimes the rangers like to make up their own rules.
    Last month at the Backpackers camp in Yosemite Valley a ranger came over and told me that I needed to carry cardboard to pad the tree when hammocking in Yosemite! I was using the broad tree straps that come with the Hennesssy but she was still insistent that I needed to carry cardboard.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Grandfather Mtn State Park (NC)

I plan on backpacking with a father and his son at Grandfather Mtn (NC) State Park, most likely the NE end along the Nuwati trail. I understand that they require camping in designated camping areas only. I’m also told that these areas now have “wooden platforms” to set up tents on. They will be in tents.

My question(s); has anyone hung in this park since the state took over and did you have any problem with ranger(s) allowing hammock camping?

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

I plan on backpacking with a father and his son at Grandfather Mtn (NC) State Park, most likely the NE end along the Nuwati trail. I understand that they require camping in designated camping areas only. I’m also told that these areas now have “wooden platforms” to set up tents on. They will be in tents.

My question(s); has anyone hung in this park since the state took over and did you have any problem with ranger(s) allowing hammock camping?

BUMP question
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12