Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Great Podcast Interview with Clark Outdoors Founder

There's a great new podcast entry from Practical Backpacking site, (http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/). It's all about the design and use of the Clark Outdoor hammocks. You can listen to it here: http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/...le-Hammock.mp3.

Enjoy!

Bruce

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7

Thumbs up

I picked it up yesterday and listened to it today...found it really interesting...especially how the company began...now, it's the week-end and I finally will have time to play with my new Clark NA...whoopee!

Images
    well...it was interesting but a little long and strained. And, he said Clark offers "tree straps" - I bought two Clark North American hammocks in October, about 2 weeks apart - over the phone, and no one mentioned any tree straps. And there doesn't appear to be any mention of tree staps at the clark site.

I learned about using straps instead of ropes from this forum.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Thanks allot for the link im listin to it now

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Interesting podcast, I have to disagree with one thing in the podcast when he stated that the average person would not need a pad until about 20 degrees. I know that all the experienced hangers would test and know what works but sending a new hanger out thinking ziploc bags are going to keep them warm and not need a pad till in the 20's could make for some miserable cold weather hangs.

Clark makes a great product and I used mine for several years with no problems but the pockets need to have real insulation of some kind to keep you warm
    Last edited by hangnout; 11-03-2007 at 09:00.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Interesting podcast, I have to disagree with one thing in the podcast when he stated that the average person would not need a pad until about 20 degrees. I know that all the experienced hangers would test and know what works but sending a new hanger out thinking ziploc bags is going to keep them warm and not need a pad till in the 20's could make for some miserable cold weather hangs.

Clark makes a great product and I used mine for several years with no problems but the pockets have to have real insulation of some kind to keep you warm
    I tried the infalted ziplock bags just once - in 40 degree temps, and they didn't seem to work. The podcast also stated Clark offers tree straps to prevent damage to trees but that is not true. After listening to the podcast I'm considering returning my second Clark. Misleading statements like that reflect on the entire product.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    they will have there straps on there web site within two weeks
    and pictures of them in use

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    they will have there straps on there web site within two weeks
    and pictures of them in use
    My pont is two fold: (1) Clark talked about the tree huggers as if they were already available, simply put that was a lie. (2) in any event, tree straps should not be an "option" - I personally saw the damage the Clark ropes caused to the bark on the evergreen trees in the Adirondacks. Clark needs to incorporate tree saving straps on every one of its hammocks. geezz...for $300 dollors a hammock can't they exercise some responsible conduct?

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    good point
    I can only say that I will be watching there website to see what they bring out kinda hard to see it in my mind but pictures will do wonders.

I do agree with you nogods that they should be part of the system and maybe they will be with the new one's they put out. But I don't think other's are doing it yet and maybe they should. I cant say that if that was one of the reasons I would have bought it with or without them I am one to think that at least around here in the place's I hang I see more damage from the big deer here and the ATV's that are going to fast for a turn that hit them or tying off to them to pull another one out or tree stand are every where so I will do my part although im not a tree hugger and never will be I will continue to use straps and maybe the next conversation I have with spencer I will bring it up to him that they should be part of the system.

have a good hang this weekend if you are going out im going to do some cold weather testing at night this weekend and I think tuesday it is suppose to be down to 22 degress so I will get some good testing the next couple of day's

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    But I don't think other's are doing it yet and maybe they should.
    Every camping hammock I can think of uses some sort of strap on the trees. Hennessy has been using tree huggers for as long as I've been hammocking. Same with Ed Speer's straps. Same with the new JRB hammock and the Claytor jungle hammock and the ENO hammocks. I'm sure there are a couple out there I'm not thinking of right now, but all the major ones do.

And to my mind, "Well, those ATV guys are worse than us" is no excuse for irresonsible behavior.

JMHO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast