Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There's a link at jdbasecamp.com that talks about waterproofing a non-waterproof material. He just painted it with thinned out silicone.

So while it's possible to do that, I'd make a two-layer hammock from the 1.1 oz and just get the sil from somewhere else.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    yes you can. we were talking about this a few weeks ago here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...e+your+own+sil

go for it.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Ok - I'll go for it. In the other thread somebody talked about using a vaccume? Could somebody explain that a little further? Stick it in the vacuum cleaner?

Just Jeff - already have one double bottom, but don't have a mac cat tarp. Thought about using it for a double bottom bridge, but that project is further down the to-do list.

ps - my wife is getting suspecious about all this fabric I'm bringing home. Have to quickly convert it into something....

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Ok - I'll go for it. In the other thread somebody talked about using a vaccume? Could somebody explain that a little further? Stick it in the vacuum cleaner?

Just Jeff - already have one double bottom, but don't have a mac cat tarp. Thought about using it for a double bottom bridge, but that project is further down the to-do list.

ps - my wife is getting suspecious about all this fabric I'm bringing home. Have to quickly convert it into something....
    Can relate to the suspicious part... I have taken to sneaking fabric in already. The cool part is with my two sons I have done wood working, metal work and mechanical work in my shop. My daugter took sewing lessons when she was young and now I find myself discussing the ins and out's of sewing with her as we work on projects together. Ties that bind .... gotta luv it!!!
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    i think they were talking about a real vacume (void with no air in it) and was just saying it would be scientifically possible, but i don't think it would be very practical for the average diy'er.

just play around with some different mix ratios and then test under the shower head. you might also want to try the "several soakings of thinner mix" idea that was brought up too. a dig scale from office max or wherever might be helpful to know how much sil you've added. sil nylon generally weighs 1.3-1.5 oz/square yard. i found a mix that seemed waterproof at 1.3.

good luck and reply to that post when you are done with results/pics if you don't mind, several there were talking about doing it, but nobody has gotten around to it yet i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    This is one of the projects that is high on my list of really wanting to do but is very low on the list of being practical for me to do. I really really wish I had a garage or a workshop where I wouldn't have to worry about making a fuming silicone mess and not have to listen to my wife about how her carpet is now waterproof and how bad the house stinks and "that smell is giving me a headache! NAG, NAG, NAG, NAG, NAG!".

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Will do when I finish with my quilt. And, at the rate I'm going with the quilt, it may be a while! Plus the holidays are coming up, and we've got non stop company coming for a couple of weeks, i.e. I have to hide all my toys for a while. But, I will do it.

If a 10x10 tarp weighs ~ 14.4oz @ 1.3oz/yd and 12.2 oz @ 1.1oz/yd, then I'll only need 2+ ounces of silicon? Wow, that's going to be a thin mix...

Looks like I'm going to have to spend a few bucks on a fine scale.... I thought DIY was supposed to be cheap! I shoulda just bought a store bought system...

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Research and development is never cheap....only if you get it right the first time round.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    i bet you can get a dig scale for 20$

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i bet you can get a dig scale for 20$
    You might find a few here for that or less.
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ale&category0=
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast