Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    The advantage of DIY is that you get custom gear most often better suited to your needs and wants that arent made by the manufacturers. In silnylon most often this is the camo color that no body can find but every body wants. You'ld think that one of the companys that manufactures this stuff would recognize that there is a demand and create a product to supply it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Has anybody tried a waterproofing product with good success?

Could I just mix up a big batch of silicon and white gas and shove the fabric in? Would that make it sil? or a bomb?
    Just me, but I'd save the ripstop for some other projects and order the sil from Ed. Too much of a hassle and if you mess it up, then it's all wasted; money down the drain. JMO.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    PUNT.

Cut off a 12" strip from a 54" (or so) "bolt". Bought tube of 100% clear silicon, and quart of mineral spirits. Poured spirits into a small bucket, added a little silicon, and stirred, and stirred, and.... stirred. Finally..... all the silicon globs disappeared. Put the fabric in and stirred a while. Pulled it out and let it dry. Poured mix back into the bottle with a cap. Nope, could still blow through it easily.

Added more silicon, and stirred, and stirred, and stirred, and .... Finally, put the fabric in. Stirred a while longer. Pullled it out, poured mix back into the bottle, and let the fabric dry. Nope, could still blow.

Added A LOT of sil to the bottle, and let it set. Came back later after about and hour, and shook the bottle until my arms got tired. Poured it into the bucket, and stirred, and stirred, and stirred... Finally ... put the fabric back in ... Nope.

I just hope that sil isn't poisonous through the skin. After the 1st try using tools and fumbling along, I just grabbed it with my hands. Much easier and enough soap and hot water eventually got all the slime and stink out.

And to think I was going to do this with 10+ feet ?!?!? x 2 ?!?!?!

Not worth it. Maybe I did not let the fabric sit in the mix long enough or maybe the mix was too diluted? Maybe you just squirt the pure silion on the fabric and spread it out? Either way 10+ feet x 54" x 2 pieces = too much trouble!

Anybody want some Forest Green 1.1 oz ripstop cheap?

tight-wad

ps - I did make a mix for seam sealing my first rectangular tarp, but I remember that being really, really thick, and needing baby powder to take the tackiness off.

pps - if it is 100% "pure" silicon how come you can buy it in clear or white? Seems if it is "100%" pure, then it is what it is, either clear or white, but not both?

Images
    i found even the thin mixtures repelled most water, and i couldn't blow through any of them. your mix might have been off like you said, but i think you did not give them time to dry, silicone should take hours to dry. i even wiped them down after the soaking to get all excess off before i hung them to dry. i thought it worked well, and added no more silicone than is used on 1.3 oz silnylon.

how can you tell your breath is going through, short of sticking your mouth on the fabric to make a seal?

Images
    what shade of green is that? like a pine tree/hunter green, or more of a jrb green/bright green leaf?

i'm sure someone will buy it from you before i get back home to read your reply, no matter what the shade.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

how can you tell your breath is going through, short of sticking your mouth on the fabric to make a seal?
    form a ring with your thumb and forefinger and place on the back side. kiss the fabric and blow from the front side. If its DWR, then its hard to blow through, if its waterproof then you can't blow, if its neither then easy as breathing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123