HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies

winter is coming!!

So all i have a couple questions .. my brother just got his 1.7 bb and has a winter crowsnest on order .. has been hounding me to hit more winter hiking this winter.. heres the question and i know depending on temps . i have a 1.1 dbl BB and a 3 season crowsnest . also a 30 deg down bag .. i was think that maybe i could use my sleep pad also with my UQ . how well would this work .
    as i havent ever tried this .ill also be useing a moded GG tarp for winter to keep the wind off me..
    maybe adam (crowsnest) could pipe in here?
    thanks all

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    So all i have a couple questions .. my brother just got his 1.7 bb and has a winter crowsnest on order .. has been hounding me to hit more winter hiking this winter.. heres the question and i know depending on temps . i have a 1.1 dbl BB and a 3 season crowsnest . also a 30 deg down bag .. i was think that maybe i could use my sleep pad also with my UQ . how well would this work .
    as i havent ever tried this .ill also be useing a moded GG tarp for winter to keep the wind off me..
    maybe adam (crowsnest) could pipe in here?
    thanks all
    1. What temperatures are you preparing for?
    2. What pad are you using to supplement your UQ? Some pads (e.g. Big Agnes Aircore or Thermarest NeoAir) don't insulate very well. Others (e.g. Downmat 7) insulate extremely well.
    3. Is your 30 degree sleeping bag the "best" you have for low temperatures? If so, then IMO you'll not be comfortable much below that.

FWIW, I've been happy with my Crow's Nest with no supplemental pad (other than for feet and legs) well into the 20s, but my sleeping bag is also comfortable at those temps.

Whatever you want to plan for, I encourage you to try your gear in your backyard or other close setting. A night or two of practice in the temperatures you expect will be worth its weight in gold!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    no beep thats not the lowest rated sleep bag i have but its def packs the smallest.ill be useing a closed cell pad.. thanks i think i got the point though

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    I would think alot depends on whether you are a Hot, Warm, Cold sleeper. I used my BB 1.7 dbl with a 3 Season Yetti w/ reflective liner, CCF pad for my feet, and SuperFly with doors at Mt Rogers last year. I slept warm with a 20* down bag and also placed a poncho liner over the top of my bug netting. The poncho liner trapped alot of warmth and is still breathable. I did not get a temp reading but it was a good bit warmer in the hammock than the stated mid teens recorded as the low.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i don' like the idea of using a pad and a UQ at the same time...the UQ can't snug up against your back...so it's a waste to even carry the UQ if you ask me

the 3 season crowsnest is rated at 25 degrees...and i know stormcrows work...i would say you can get down to 20...maybe 15 with it ...he packs in alot of down
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts