Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler with Eno Net
    Insulation
    Enlightened TQ/UQ

Newb Claytor Q's

Newb here in Indiana seeking some sage wisdom on Claytors
    I've been drooling over the Jungle Hammock which fits my budget and looks really cool. But, I have been thinking that for a bit more I could get the No Net (which is supposed to be the same hammock as the Jungle), a WarBonnet Net, and a yet to be named $50-60 Tarp.
    Now here's my justification:
    This is my first set and if its modular I can change out anything I don't like later without changing everything. Also, I'm clumsy. So when I break something (and I will) I have less to spend replacing it!
    I know I'm increasing my weight a bit and trading away some of the simplicity I'd have in an all in one set, but otherwise is there another reason I shouldn't do this?
    Any observations are greatly appreciated
    Mike

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by invizable View Post
    This is my first set...
    Pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Nothing wrong with that set-up, especially if you are already foreseeing yourself increasing the size of your collection.

Almost forgot, welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Welcome to the forum..................the Claytors are very well built and can stand up to a lot of abuse. Like Cannibal said, it would be a great investment for a starter kit and then build from there.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Welcome to HF! I have that same set up, among others. The No Net is not the same as a JH without net. It is different fabric. Good combo, though, and comfy hammock. If you ever decide to use a PeaPod for insulation, the Claytor No Net is maybe the best hammock to use with that, IMO. And if it is still warm enough for mossies when you go to bed, that WB net will fit over the PeaPod, or whatever quilts you might be using.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to HF Mike! Good to see people from the MW getting on board...

Claytor is a great starter hammock and was my first also. Most change out the suspension but that's te case with many hammocks.

Everett
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler with Eno Net
    Insulation
    Enlightened TQ/UQ
    Are the bug nets on all-in-one units available for replacement or are they sewn in permanently? Maybe I shouldn't be overly concerned about it, but that seems like the first thing I'll tear while fumbling thru my first few hangs.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Bugnet is permanent. It is repairable tho.

Welcome.
    The Claytor is a fine set up and will last you a while..or until you damage it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by invizable View Post
    Are the bug nets on all-in-one units available for replacement or are they sewn in permanently? Maybe I shouldn't be overly concerned about it, but that seems like the first thing I'll tear while fumbling thru my first few hangs.
    I have been in a Claytor JH for three years now, about 100+ nights a year and there is no damage to the nets. I like it, in fact, I am going to make a similar knockoff only wider this winter while I sit next to a warm fire in the wood stove. The bug net has been a non issue. In fact, it even holds some heat in when winter camping. Let me know if you are close to South Bend or northern Indiana, I work in South Bend and live in southern Michigan near Edwardsburg. I have a spare Claytor JH you could use for a weekend or something to get a feel for it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    All this Claytor talk caused me to pull my Claytor No Net ( CNN ) out and take a short nap. Would have been a longer nap, but it started getting too hot. But I was once again quickly reminded that the simple CNN remains one of my very favorite hammocks. For one thing, left calf pressure is minimal and sometimes zero. And when it comes to using a PeaPod for insulation, it is my favorite. Very good hammock overall!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Heres what I did..................I bought the claytor no net to use with my peapod. (as billy bob said, it works great!) I wasnt too keen on the suspension that came with the hammock, so I installed speer straps, tri glides and dutch clips. (there are probably lighter options, but for convenience, this set up works great----Im very happy with it!) Also, the jungle hammock uses waterproof fabric, while the no net uses breathable fabric----in my book thats a big advantage---no condensation. I origionally was going to use my no net just for winter camping, but I liked it so much I made a bug net for it. I sewed a strip of velcro along one side of the hammock (the side that doesnt open up to put your sleeping mat inside. Then I sewed velcro to one side of the bug net. and the other side hangs down. (its kind of a hybrid of a speer style bug net, and a hanging flap bug net. ) Also, since the claytor is so narrow, the bug net tends to hang in your face, so I ran a small diameter shock cord through the side----one side has a small hook, the inside has a micro cord lock. (like a rayway tarp) To use , you attach the hook to the side of your tarp, and you can adjust the tension from inside your hammock---just enough to pull the net from your face. Add a simple adjustable ridge line, and you have a very light weight, simple bug net. (and you can take it off in the winter time when you dont need it!) Im a pretty big guy (6'5", 210 lbs,) and the claytor no net has served me very well------Im really happy with it! Also, Ive found that if you use a ccf pad inbetween the hammock layers, it tends to spread the hammock out a bit, giving you a flatter lay-----if you have condensation problems with the pad, punch holes about 8 inches apart throughout the pad, holes about 3/8 inch wide----I use a pad for my pack suspension anyway, so its not adding any weight to my hammock rig. (and it gives me the ability to go to ground if needed) Anyway thats my 2 cents worth!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast