Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

My 1st attempt at homemade hammock - need advice

I had 22 feet of the $1/yd walmart sylnylon (I think) material - it is waterproof and breathable but is not ripstop. Feels more like nylon than polyster.

I cut it in half then followed the just jeff directions for folding and whipping the ends:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

I didn't have the edges hemmed yet as I just wanted to try it. I'll take it apart and have them hemmed later this week.

Here is a pic of the whipping:

Here is a pic of the hammock hanging from the supporting beam in my basement with a 26" insult mat in it - note the excessive flaps on both sides - how do i get rid of them?

The hammock material is 60" wide. It is much more comfortable when I'm on my side than either my claytor or clark. If i lay on my side on the diagonal, my head rest comfortably against the side of the hammock eliminating the need for a pillow, and my knees are straight enough that i don't need a pillow between them to be comfortable.

Because i don't sew, making a bug net might be as expensive as just buying one. does anyone have a bliss cocoon bugnet?
    http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/19/cat19.htm?771

does it just fit over the entire hammock?

I'm also thinking of having a zipper sewn to each side and then having a zipper sewn to each side of the material i have left and attaching it as a weather sheild with its own ridgline - I'm thinking that would raise the sides of the hammock and eliminate the overhanging flaps.

BTW it took longer to write this description than it took to make the hammock.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Might try to pull out less of the long sides during whipping. What model is your Insulmat 26" pad?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Might try to pull out less of the long sides during whipping. What model is your Insulmat 26" pad?
    Thanks for the advice - I'll try that.

I don't know the model of the mat - I have two of them I bought about 6 or 7 years ago. They just say "insul-mat" with a tent like insignia between "insul" and "mat" (imagine a X leaning to the left with a dot in the middle of the lower section). They are self inflating and feel like there have some sort of insulation inside.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Thanks for the advice - I'll try that.

I don't know the model of the mat - I have two of them I bought about 6 or 7 years ago. They just say "insul-mat" with a tent like insignia between "insul" and "mat" (imagine a X leaning to the left with a dot in the middle of the lower section). They are self inflating and feel like there have some sort of insulation inside.
    Just curious. Looking at my options for the 26" wide pocket sleeve in the JRB bridge hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Here is a pic of the hammock hanging from the supporting beam in my basement with a 26" insult mat in it - note the excessive flaps on both sides - how do i get rid of them?

The hammocks that I make I use the full 60" of width as well. The pic looks like the folds come from the middle which is what I like, but does leave the edges higher on a 60" width.

What FF said is spot on... I pull the edges back about 2 to 3 inches before whipping and the sides lay down a lot better. The addition of side pullouts makes a huge difference to reduce edge height, as will the folds that are required to hem the edges.

Another thing that I am going to try doing over the next while is to sew a one inch strap the full length of the side I get into my top loading hammock, as that is the weight bearing side when getting in and out. The dual purpose of doing that is when the zipper gets sewed on for opening and closing the bug net, it hopefully will provide a strong edge to attach too. I don't like sewing it directly to the hammock edge as it rubs my legs getting in and out. If it is sewed onto a bit of a flap it lays down when sitting and is not an irritation.

I sew the strap on the edge so that 1/2 inch gets sewed , and 1/2 sticks past the outer edge.
    Last edited by GREEN THERAPY; 11-03-2007 at 16:58. Reason: one more thought
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    It is much more comfortable when I'm on my side than either my claytor or clark.
    Warning! You are starting on a path with no return. Your Clark and Claytor will start spending more time collecting dust while you use the DIY hammocks and one is never enough. I think I could do this ....or that ....on the next one.

Because i don't sew, making a bug net might be as expensive as just buying one. does anyone have a bliss cocoon bugnet?
    I do not have this one but have the ENO. I think you are right that it would be better to buy this. On the ENO it can be lighten easily just by cutting off the HD stuff sack.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Congrats on the hammock! Looks good.

One detail - silnylon is waterproof and non-breathable. If you can breathe through the material you have, it's not silnylon. And if you bought it at Walmart, it's probably not waterproof...possibly water resistant, so it's probably DWR. Which is just what you want for making a hammock.

Unless you can see an extra treatment on one side...I've found two wp/b fabrics at Walmart. Both were heavier than 1.9 and both had a visible treatment applied to one side.

But as long as your stuff is comfortable and strong enough, it doesn't really matter what it's made of!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    note the excessive flaps on both sides - how do i get rid of them?

The more you pull the outside edges out before whipping the less flop you will have on the sides. Experiment till you get what you like. I use wire ties until I get it right then use the whipping.
    Last edited by hangnout; 11-03-2007 at 19:56.

Images
    Jeff - I don't know what it is but it holds water like a plastic bucket - both sides. In fact, water beads on it like mecury, and if you try to "crush" the beads they just form smaller beads - it doesn't seem to get wet from water falling on it, it just shakes off. We had a thread about it a while ago - someone else bought some and had similar experience.

I say it is breathable only because i can fog a mirror holding it up to my mouth.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    if you have a scrap ..... make a depression in it and pour some water in it..... then twist it shut and the water will ooze out.....if its the same stuff as I have when you give the fabric a shake and a quick wipe all mositure is gone. Looking at the edges of your hammock the fibers showing in the pic look the same as the fabric I have. My best quess is that it is polyester micro fiber. Is there much stretch when you get in the hammock as there would be with nylon?
    Last edited by GREEN THERAPY; 11-03-2007 at 21:40. Reason: more.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast