Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eno double for a newbi

I'm getting ready to buy a eno double for my first hammock/tent. Question is what else do I need to buy? Netting? Rain fly? This time of year if you use the rainfly would you even need the netting?

It was this or a HH. I liked it because the netting was with it but my local store carries the eno.

For basic starters I would get the slap strap pro's and I would also get the bug net. You may also want a tarp but do not get the eno tarp or fly. I myself got the Kelty Noah 12' tarp. This is a great set up for starters or those who do some car camping. If you are going to use it in the winter an under blanket and sleeping pad may be in order. Scroll back through some of the old posts. There is a wealth of information on this forum.

Hang Tite.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would avoid the ENO slap straps for your suspension. Many members have encountered a lot of stretching with them. Check out the suspension forum for suggestions but a popular one is polyester or polypro webbing and whoopie slings.
    The ENO tarps are OK and I have read that some members have not had any problems but they are on the small side. Search for tarp suggestions.
    You can probably not worry about the bugnet due to the time of year but if you do want one I would avoid the ENO bugnet because it is a little heavy. Warbonnet's bugnet is a better choice IMO. I'm not bad mouthing the ENO line but I think there are lighter and better designed choices. It also depends on how much you want to spend and where you are going to be using your gear.

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    ive heard alot of bad reviews for the slap straps in regards to stretch- though ive never tried them nor seen them.

I have on the other hand used $4 utility straps and cut the hooks off with wonderful results and no stretch at all. also many positive reviews on this
    ...in it for pics.

here in southeast louisiana, we *do* need the bug nets (until we don't, which varies). I have an ENO bug net that i got on sale at REI and I like it. also realize that there are ENO models that are treated with insect repellant which you may prefer to start with.

i slept through TS bonnie in the back yard in an ENO DN and ProFly just fine.

the ENO suspension systems look easy to use, but have their own quirks which lead many here who have a lot of experience to recommend against them. i've never used them (even before i changed the suspension on the DN), and now can say they're not that attractive to me compared to what i now use both home and out hanging.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Eno
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Whooooopie's
    Do not by the slap straps, IMHO. Get whoopies and tree huggers. Slap straps suck, at least in my opinion.

I would get the 70D HEX -SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAINFLY tarp. If you want an ENO tarp for your hammock please let me know and I will sell you mine cheap so I can buy one of the above. I have the ENO Dry Fly if you are interested.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    ...I would avoid the ENO bugnet because it is a little heavy. ... It also depends on how much you want to spend and where you are going to be using your gear.
    And to comment on this, the ENO bug net is heavy compared to others. I have (and prefer for camping) other hammocks with integrated bugnets, so I don't take this one with me that often. However, I do feel like the ENO bug net (at least the one i got, it could be an old version?) is built to be a bit tougher as well (not that you shouldn't be careful with whatever you get. it's just synthetic net material after all).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Slap Straps stretch. No two ways about it. They are best to be avoided, but I gather from your post that you aren't one of those patient types.

If it's just killing you to get out and hang, then the Slap Straps will work. Just be prepared to adjust several times during the evening and night. If you will take the time to go through some of the suspension threads, you'll find a wealth of better options that can be built by taking a trip to the hardware store.

Netting is nice, but optional. You can always put a head-net on when you go to sleep and rely on your clothing and covering to keep the bugs at bay. But, I agree about the Warbonnet bugnets being the best option. There are a handful of bugnets out there that can be had for less money, but if weight is an issue it's best to just go to Warbonnet first.

Insulation. Yes, you are going to need something. A blue pad from Walmart will work. If you are a heavy sweater (like me), the pad won't be ideal, but it will work. Underquilts are a better option IMO for the comfort factor alone. Downside is they aren't cheap and you're going to have to wait for one to be delivered since I have yet to see one in an outdoor shop. Sleeping bags can be made to work as underquilts/pods, but again it's going to take some DIY effort on your part.

Best bet is to treat the ENO tarps like their suspension systems; avoid. There are plenty of other tarps that are inexpensive if weight isn't an issue and they all provide better coverage than the ENO tarps. There are one or two folks that use them and like them, but the vast majority of opinion has been on the negative side.

Good luck and congrats on your decision to visit the dark side.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juddmyers View Post
    I'm getting ready to buy a eno double for my first hammock/tent. Question is what else do I need to buy? Netting? Rain fly? This time of year if you use the rainfly would you even need the netting?

It was this or a HH. I liked it because the netting was with it but my local store carries the eno.
    I just went through all of this (I already had my ENO DN for years) this June. Prior to finding this forum, I had bought an ENO DryFly and the bug net.

Quote Originally Posted by thekalimist View Post
    ive heard alot of bad reviews for the slap straps in regards to stretch- though ive never tried them nor seen them.
    After finding this forum, I quickly ditched my old Pro straps...everything they said about stretching held true to my experience of using them for relaxing in my hammock while car camping and picnicking. I bought some Whoopie All-in-One suspension straps and Dutch Clips. The ENO DN is pretty long, so I'm going to try out a Decsender Ring and Strap suspension next, to enable me to hang from trees that are closer together. I had a problem between the two trees I originally wanted to hang from while on my 1st trip. They were too close together for the Whoopie AiO's shortest setting (hammock +3ft on either end).

The ENO tarps are OK and I have read that some members have not had any problems but they are on the small side.
    I used my ENO DryFly and loved it. It was perfect weather with a 5-10MPH breeze. However, I'm getting myself a MacCat Deluxe for Winter/Rainy Weather. I just don't believe the ENO DryFly would be nearly as comfortable in those conditions...and from my reading, lots of other experienced hangers agree.

...You can probably not worry about the bug net due to the time of year but if you do want one I would avoid the ENO bug net because it is a little heavy. Warbonnet's bug net is a better choice IMO.
    I agree with this, but for different reasons. I found the bug net was great for its purpose, but the vertical zipper made it a bit hard to navigate (I was pretty drunk most of the night). It was an even bigger pain when I had to get up to relieve myself in the middle of the night, buried under a blanket. In the future, I'm going to get myself a WB bug net because it has the longitudinal (sp?) zipper which IMHO makes WAY more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cornlong View Post
    If you are going to use it in the winter an under blanket and sleeping pad may be in order.
    I'd get one even if you're going to be hanging in temps below 60*F. My first hang the temps dipped down into the 50's. I hung my under quilt (UQ) low and it was fine at first. By the end of the night, I had synched it up and then needed my +55 REI travel sack as a top quilt (TQ). I'm a warm sleeper too! I just bought another UQ/TQ which will give me down insulation on both top AND bottom of my hammock. If you've been a long-time ground pounder, you'll quickly realize it is MUCH cooler (figurative and literal) in the hammock. Plan accordingly.

I hope my input helped a little. Like the others said...there's a TON of info and great people to help you out here on HF. Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Kyle
    Last edited by Mickey.223; 09-16-2010 at 12:42. Reason: grammar...again...

Hammock
    Grand Trunk & ENO doubles
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juddmyers View Post

First welcome to the forums, you have defintely come to the right place for answers, these folks are awesome.

I have an Eno and a GT double I have been hanging in the backyard and have been using JRBs straps and triglides. I have not had an issue with them. I like them.
    Take care
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast