AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

1st' Annual Idaho Hang - Part 2

Old Gringo and I decided to hang a bit longer then the other were able to stay for following the hike. We both were able to keep our schedules flexible and decided a few more nights in the mountains would be a good thing.

Once the other guys had packed up and hit the road I was ready for a bacon cheese burger so we set out to get one at the small restaurant down the hwy that we had visited before the hike. From there we went back to camp so I could get my hammock re-strung in the campground and enjoy some quiet. As evening approached we took a small drive over the hill to another lake to try the fishing. The road was better suited to a monster truck rather than my little Nissan Versa, but I was able to get us within a quarter mile of the lake. We strolled along the path till we found the lake. I tried my hand at fishing despite the shallow edges that extended out farther than my cast was able to reach. I decided to move on and turned around to find OG had faded back amongst the trees. With nothing more than a faint hint of cigar smoke in the air he had disappeared from sight. A short ways down the trail I found him again. I fished a little more but the wind had picked up on the lake and nothing was paying attention to my fly's. I decided it was best to head back with the sun fading towards the ridge and I did not want to try to drive the rough road in the dark. We stopped for a moment to try the outlet stream. I headed out onto a log to see if I could reach what looked like it might be a small hole at the bottom of a little rapid. I had no luck there and hoped from the log though a grassy patch and back onto the trail. I again was not able to spot OG and began to wonder if he had headed up the trial towards the car. Though he denies it there are rumors that he is part Indian.

We headed back to camp for a dinner of venison and potatoes. In the morning we broke camp and again headed for the small restaurant for one final meal, the breakfast we had been denied days before by the power outage. We drove the few miles up to Stanley for some supplies and worms to fish the Salmon River with. We stopped and tried one spot with no luck.

Several miles further down the road we found a great spot along the river, lined with bolder on the bank and a deep hole below some swifter rapids. In short order we both pulled out some small but still fun to catch Rainbows.

We continued to fish along the river for a number of hours, stopped to enjoy a nice day, OG hung up an eno for a bit of a lounge.

We decided to head back into the Sawtooth valley for our final night. I knew a spot that would be easy to get to and had trees for us to hang. OG cooked up a pan of ground venison sloppy joes and we sat around a small fire till the pull of a comfortable hammock pulled us away. OG was up before the sun to watch the stars fade and the sky grow light over the ridge of the White Cloud Mountains.

We packed up the last of the gear and and hit the road as the sun crested the ridge.

This was one of the best trips I have ever been able to do. The memory's of the time I got to spend in camp, along the river, and on the trail with the 4 guys that made the trip to Idaho will be with me for a very long time. I can not say thank you enough to Dave, Joe, Scott and Keith for coming, for sharing your time and lots of laughs together. Thank You all

Can't wait till next year!
    Last edited by pgibson; 09-16-2010 at 13:09.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Once again nice report and great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Terry

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Excellent pics and report.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Thank you very much Paul, and all of the other "Idaho Boys".

I am so glad that you all got the opportunity to meet in such a beautiful place, and share in each other's company. Time spent by yourself or with others in Nature is special if you take the time to see and truly listen. I have been waiting so hard these past few days for a trip report from any of the "Idaho Boys", that I was as anxious as a long-tail cat in a room full of rockin' chairs. As most fly fisherman know, it isn't always the big fish that you catch...rather it is personally enjoying the evironment of where you caught him.

Yeah, on the surface OldGringo may appear to be just another cowboy, but when you get a chance to listen and speak with him, you find out that there is a whole nuther side to him, and it will take years for us to mine any of the gold hidden inside. Dave may say he has no Indian blood in him, and that may be so, but you don't have to have Indian blood running through your veins sometimes to see the wisdom behind Indian ways, and to act like one.

Time spent on the river, fishing with a friend is always "Time Well Wasted".

Happy trails,
    Barefoot Child
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 09-16-2010 at 14:41.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    Thank you very much Paul, and all of the other "Idaho Boys".

I am so glad that you all got the opportunity to meet in such a beautiful place, and share in each other's company. Time spent by yourself or with others in Nature is special if you take the time to see and truly listen. I have been waiting so hard these past few days for a trip report from any of the "Idaho Boys", that I was as anxious as a long-tail cat in a room full of rockin' chairs. As most fly fisherman know, it isn't always the big fish that you catch...rather it is personally enjoying the evironment of where you caught him.

Yeah, on the surface OldGringo may appear to be just another cowboy, but when you get a chance to listen and speak with him, you find out that there is a whole nuther side to him, and it will take years for us to mine any of the gold hidden inside. Dave may say he has no Indian blood in him, and that may be so, but you don't have to have Indian blood running through your veins sometimes to see the wisdom behind Indian ways, and to act like one.

Time spent on the river, fishing with a friend is always "Time Well Wasted".

Happy trails,
    Barefoot Child

Very kind words BC.

Thanks for the trip report pgibson. I'm glad you guys had a great time.

Wow it sounds like you guys ate alot.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    thanks for the trip report paul.love the landscape over there great pics of it to.no grilled trout?they are best cooked over a wood fires coals in my opinion.
    thanks
    bill

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various

Great trip report

Wish I could have stayed for the second half of this trip. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time!

• + New Posts