ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps

What don't you like about the ENO DN?

with all the posts glowing about the ENO DN-which is great!
    what are some negatives about the DN? besides the obvious suspension, which is easily swapped out...gander mountain has the double for $59.99 might pick one up to test out, get some ides before i DIY...after my walmart "equip" debacle, hopefully this will be a little bit higher quality?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    It is my first and only hammock. I sleep in it in my yard a few days a week and used it all week at Scout camp this summer. I don't have anything bad to say, take into consideration that I have nothing to compare it too. I am just glad that it holds all 300 lbs of me.- George

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    It was my first, before making many DIYs. I still use it a lot. It is very comfortable due to its size. I don't know of any negatives that are not easily fixed.

I added ring buckles to mine to use strap suspension. I had to re-tie the black line at the end to allow the ring buckles. This is how the knot is tied. It looks confusing, but it's really just 2 loops and a slip knot on the end.

For "real" camping, I prefer to use a black bishop sack, but have not made one for it. If I do, I will cut the stock stuff sack off.

When it's very windy, it tends to flap a lot because it's large. It's pretty easy to put a hand or foot on the offending part of the hammock to stop it.

The ENO bugnet is heavy and does not setup quickly, especially if you have an UQ. All of your UQ adjustments have to be made through the zipper. I would pass on it if you are capable of making your own. The net is very well made.
    Last edited by nacra533; 09-18-2010 at 07:38. Reason: bugnet

New Member anthonysaudiojournal's Avatar
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Assym/ ENO Dbl
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/DIY SPE
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I've had mine for a few months now

I've had mine for a few months now and got the ENO Doublenest on sale at R.E.I. for$49.00. I swapped out the suspension for Whoopie Slings and attach them with Tree Huggars from AHE. I also bought a pair of Jacks R Better Dutch Clips. The whole setup works great.

I also have a Hennessy Exped Assym with a 2QZQ Zipper Mod that is my go to overnight camping hammock. The Eno is mainly my dayhike hammock because it's sooo tiny and there's just no excuse for not taking it. It's basically the size of a grapefruit. I got so tired of taking breaks sitting in the dirt.
    I don't know if I would do a real backwoods hang with it, although I guess you could. The lack of bugnet and tarp would be an issue. If you had a decent sized tarp it would probably be just fine.

One last thing, the hang angle is more critical. At first I had it strung too tight and it just didn't lay right. I hung it with more sag and it's great now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I put a USGI bug net ($10) over it. It was plenty big enough. I just put elastic around the end and bunched it up. Also used a GI Issue poncho before getting my tarp.

I'd say that ENO stuff is well-built at the expense of weight. I specifically bought an ENO set-up to start with because of that, but then I'm not an UL hiker/backpacker.

I can't say that I dislike anything about the DN; I like it for what it is: a huge! gathered-end. The only reason not to get one if you're going to get a good price is if you want features that it doesn't offer.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    i did it! i pulled the chute and got the ENO DN!
    first thing i will do is swap out the suspension for tree straps, marlin spike/toggle and whoppie slings, i have an el cheapo 8x10 poly tarp, and this time of year i wont need a bug net...just gotta figure out some insulation choices...

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Nothing wrong with an ENO Double. I'm sure you'll love it as is, and the new suspension will only help. It is my favorite hammock for the back yard, and the stuff sack holds a beer. For camping though, the Warbonnet Blackbird is in the pack.

For insulation, try a CCF pad. Lots of options from the simple blue ones or military versions in OD green. I like the Thermarest Ridgerest-the large is wider which helps in a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    ...For camping though, the Warbonnet Blackbird is in the pack.

For insulation, try a CCF pad. Lots of options from the simple blue ones or military versions in OD green. I like the Thermarest Ridgerest-the large is wider which helps in a hammock.
    Trooper, do you use the Thermarest Ridgerest in your WBBB?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nine16ths View Post
    Trooper, do you use the Thermarest Ridgerest in your WBBB?
    Only once. It worked fine, but I've got an underquilt now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast