Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Tri-Glide suspension mod - is it safe?

I just got my JRB order, part of which was a set of tri-glide buckles. I was planning to DIY a suspension similar to Just Jeff's. But the buckles seem so light that I'm now doubting that they're sturdy enough for the job. After all, JRB intended them to be used quite differently.

Can anybody tell me if the tri-glides are cut out to carry the weight of a loaded hammock?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I just got my JRB order, part of which was a set of tri-glide buckles. I was planning to DIY a suspension similar to Just Jeff's. But the buckles seem so light that I'm now doubting that they're sturdy enough for the job. After all, JRB intended them to be used quite differently.

Can anybody tell me if the tri-glides are cut out to carry the weight of a loaded hammock?
    The intended use is entirely in line with JJ's picture.....a buckle on the suspension between hammock and tree that keeps the webbing from slipping.

no worries
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JRB Triglides have been in wide use for well over two years with never a failure....although unrated they are quite capable for hammock suspension use.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Hut:
    I have used the JRB tri-glides in the past and can tell you they are going to hold you. I am right at the 300 lb mark and they worked well. I never had them slip on me, once. Her is a pic taken last Feb. of them in action:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Grand Trunk & ENO doubles
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    I have had no complaints with the tri-glides, I am at the 350+ range, you will be fine.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Great, thanks for the heads up. I thought that the way Just Jeff uses the buckles puts more stress on them than the way it's suggested on the JRB website. I'm going ahead with my DIY project then.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    I use mine the reverse of the suggested way on the JRB website, i.e. the "tree" end has a dutch clip, and the hammock end is the one that has the strap threaded through the Tri-Glide and is used for adjusting the suspension length. I actually got the idea from a previous HF thread back when the Tri-Glides were first announced.

I didn't like the idea of having to thread the strap through the buckle each time I hooked up to a tree. This way has the same adjustability with quicker setup, and it's probably about as simple as you can get for a hammock suspension. Just one strap, a dutch clip, and a Tri-Glide. No knots and relatively idiot-proof for a noob like myself to figure out

-Jay
    Last edited by jloden; 09-19-2010 at 17:16. Reason: typo

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    I use mine the reverse of the suggested way on the JRB website, i.e. the "tree" end has a dutch clip, and the hammock end is the one that has the strap threaded through the Tri-Glide and is used for adjusting the suspension length. I actually got the idea from a previous HF thread back when the Tri-Glides were first announced.

I didn't like the idea of having to thread the strap through the buckle each time I hooked up to a tree. This way has the same adjustability with quicker setup, and it's probably about as simple as you can get for a hammock suspension. Just one strap, a dutch clip, and a Tri-Glide. No knots and relatively idiot-proof for a noob like myself to figure out
    Do you have pictures of this set-up?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Don't have the hammock set up and it's getting dark out but I laid it out and took a quick snapshot, should give you the idea. The hammock (Nano 7) has sewn channels in it, so I took the non-looped end of the strap, fed it through the channel, and ran it through the tri-glide buckle.

The end of the strap with the sewn loop has the dutch clip in it, and just gets wrapped around the tree as you normally would use a dutch clip. What you see going out of the frame on the right hand side is the loose end of the strap after it exits the buckle, where you'd pull or loosen to adjust the suspension length.

Note: you may notice this is a *very* short "tree" end of the strap - this is set up for my hammock stand right now so it's choked up a lot shorter than normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Jay, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post

-Jay
    That's a superb idea, and I have the Tri_glides and the Dutch clips, so I'm gonna give it a whirl. Thanks, man.

P.S. My brother and sister-in-law work at Merck; I think that's in Whitehouse Station, Nj. Good deal. I sent him an ENO, we'll see if he gets the bug.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast