Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Insul~Bright Fabric.

Insul~Bright Homepage.

I found out about this material from a discussion on White Blaze. It was a thread on freezer bag cooking where Sabar, author of Freezer Bag Cooking the book, said that she makes her cozy pouches from a material called Insul-Bright (IB) and fleece. I was able to pick up some IB at my local Jo Anns fabric store. It's also the same stuff that's in pot holders that keeps your hand from getting burned. I bought one yard to make a FBC cozy. A 46"x38" piece of fabric weighs 6.3oz on my scale.

IB is basically mylar (space blanket) and polyester. The IB website says this about the fabric:

Insul~Bright consists of hollow, polyester fibers needlepunched through a nonwoven substrate and through a reflective mylar. The needled material is breathable and won’t break down with washing. The hollow fibers resist conduction while the reflective mylar resists radiant energy. The energy, hot or cold, is reflected back to its source.
    Here's some more facts:
    * Needlepunched Insulated Lining
    * Reflects Heat or Cold Back to the Source
    * No Pre-wash Necessary
    * Machine Wash and Dry
    * Made in the U.S.A.

When I first saw this material I knew that it had definite potential for use in DIY hammock gear. The first thing that came to mind was incorporating it into an under quilt. Several people have voiced interest in using space blankets as bottom insulation in a hammock. While a Mylar space blankets does have potential because of it's light weight and heat reflective properties, it is also a very noisy material and lacks breathability, possibly causing it to actually hold water like a bath tub. Not good.

The Mylar in the IB fabric is perforated, giving it much need breathability, and also GREATLY reduces the noisiness of the fabric. The fabric still makes a slight "crinkle" sound, but I seriously doubt it would even be that noticeable. I also think that the fuzzy polyester portion of the fabric would help to wick moisture away. I really think the IB, coupled with a DWR layer of rip stop, would make a great under quilt. It was thinking about making an under quilt using the KAQ instructions, but substituting the IB for the insulation normally used

Here's some pics:

You can see the perforations in the Mylar in this picture:
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-10-2008 at 11:51.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    whats the cost of that stuff? I would love to hear a report on its performance.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think it was $5.99 per yard. 2 - 2.5 yard would make an under quilt, IMHO. I bought mine to make cozies but I may go bak later and get more to test with.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I think it was $5.99 per yard. 2 - 2.5 yard would make an under quilt, IMHO. I bought mine to make cozies but I may go bak later and get more to test with.
    I for one will be following this thread as your testing goes on.... an underquilt is my next project, will be a lot easier to do the R+D without having to run to corner of the field to hang a hammock. Hope the hammock stand will go up the stairs..... or ..... oppppppps.....
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Interesting, I wonder how they keep the mylar from decaying(aluminum oxidizing off the plastic)... I decided to use some clorox spray to clean off my cozy without thinking about it and took the aluminum right off yeilding clear plastic

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Sarbar has a post on bplite.com where she mentioned that she is experimenting using this fabric as a floor liner for her tent. As far as I have read she is still in the process of making that but has promised all there to post her results. Sarbar mentioned she is mainly designing it to keep warm for winter. Results are definately on my top ten list of things I would like to know!

a breathable radiant barrier would be most efficient as a bagliner, or similar arangement with quilts. should also work very well as the "inside" shell on an UQ

Images
    I have a chunk of this fabric I've been experimenting with as well.

I thought summer weight underquilt as well...
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just ordered some as well. Fabric.com. Used their $2.95 first order shipping and got 4 yards for $20.00. Looks interesting.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

dumb question from a nubee, just wondering how those light weight emergency reflective blankets would do hemmed up with some sort of backing to it like a dwr nylon as an outer quilt? should reflect your body heat back to you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast