Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Since I'm short on cash right now and am not planning any camping except car camping in the next few months, I decided to make a synthetic underquilt for my new HH to try out next weekend. Hopefully I won't freeze my @**%% off!

I'm going to use the KickAss instructions. I"m going to make it 'fatter' than usual by layering nylon/Insul-bright/polyester hi-loft batting/nylon.

I have a few yards of a silver fabric that I was thinking about putting on the side that goes up against the HH, but I cannot blow air through it, and I don't know anything about condensation issues or how that all works... so now I'm not sure what to do about that?????

Am I understanding people to say that your underquilt needs to be completely breathable?

If that is the case, how do you keep off side-blowing rain without a tarp that reaches the ground?

Help? I want to start this project today, hopefully, since my first overnight trip will be next weekend.
    Annie,

If your tarp is a good size, even if it does not go all the way to the ground it will give wide porches... so if any thing what you'll get is mist/blow in, if any thing....Again if the tarp is good size 8x10, 10x10, 11x10 etc this can be greatly minimized...This type of water will not penetrate modern tight nylon with DWR.... any surface moisture will be driven off by your body heat if the rain/mist ends an hour or more before daylight.

Alternatively there are Weather Shield, hammock socks etc

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I recently found some of this material at my local WM fabric center. I doubted that it was anything like IX, but figured it was worth a shot for making an inexpensive UQ.

From what I could read it seems that it’s best to have this material closest to the hammock, then the loftier type of batting on the outside, closer to the shell.

Has anyone used this stuff recently so they can give an idea of the effectiveness of it? I’d hate to take the time to create my first UQ out of it only to find it was a wasted effort.

Thanks,

- Mark (S-4-C)

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I recently found some of this material at my local WM fabric center. I doubted that it was anything like IX, but figured it was worth a shot for making an inexpensive UQ.

From what I could read it seems that it’s best to have this material closest to the hammock, then the loftier type of batting on the outside, closer to the shell.

Has anyone used this stuff recently so they can give an idea of the effectiveness of it? I’d hate to take the time to create my first UQ out of it only to find it was a wasted effort.

Thanks,

- Mark (S-4-C)
    Yes ,I have used it and plan to again, I made a sleeping bag pad, layered with a single layer of fleece on top , insul-bright in the middle and nylon camo material on the outer skin, I use it inside the bottom of my bag and was able to replace using an inflatable pad ,,, I made a post some where on here I will try to find it.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I can't find the post but here are some pics,,,, I have since added a green edging all the way around on it...It rolls up to a simalar size as the CCF pads.

"Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks, Randy.

Any opinions about a comparison to CCF pads? I’ve got an SPE and a self-inflating pad, but would prefer an UQ to the pads if possible. This material looked like it would provide some warmth, but I have no idea. From the information on the wrapping it sounds like it would make a decent vapor barrier.

I picked up two yards of the InsulBright and two yards of regular quilting batting yesterday, thinking that the two paired together might allow me to not worry about staying on the pad at night. I should probably get another couple of yards of batting to boost the effectiveness a bit. I don’t need sub-zero protection, but I’d like something for temps at or above freezing.

Two yards (48” x 72”) won’t make a huge UQ, but it should be enough to cover my backside in the hammock. Thankfully I car camp most of the time, so weight won’t be much of an issue.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I cannot believe this thread came up. I happened upon this stuff at WM and bought a yard for sh*ts and giggles to play with. I made a pair of elbow length fingerless/palmless gauntlets for winter hiking as well as booties for the hammock in winter time. Both have served me quite well. Almost too well. I had issues with cold hands and feet below freezing. Not any more
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    Thanks, Randy.

Any opinions about a comparison to CCF pads? I’ve got an SPE and a self-inflating pad, but would prefer an UQ to the pads if possible. This material looked like it would provide some warmth, but I have no idea. From the information on the wrapping it sounds like it would make a decent vapor barrier.

I picked up two yards of the InsulBright and two yards of regular quilting batting yesterday, thinking that the two paired together might allow me to not worry about staying on the pad at night. I should probably get another couple of yards of batting to boost the effectiveness a bit. I don’t need sub-zero protection, but I’d like something for temps at or above freezing.

Two yards (48” x 72”) won’t make a huge UQ, but it should be enough to cover my backside in the hammock. Thankfully I car camp most of the time, so weight won’t be much of an issue.
    Oooo Booties made of Insul-Bright. I'll have to add this to my list of item to make.

I would not call this a VB. The material is describes as needle punched mylar. Since there are holes in the mylar it would be concidered "breathable" instead.

I made an underpad out of Insul-Bright to work with my HH SS using in conjunction with the HH underpad and it worked very well.

Since I am a sweater, I can confirm that it is breathable... The condensation that my body created ended up in the HH undercover.

I have since moved to a UQ.

Since weight and bulk isn't an issue, using the IB (Insul-Bright) with batting should work. I would guess you should get to work down to the 30ies or lower. I reccommend that you use a shell material that is breathable with a DWR coating. This should reduce/ eliminate any condensation issues.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234