Grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    UQ-poncho liner
    Suspension
    biners and straps

New guy - needs tarp advise

Well, I spent my first overnight in a hammock this past friday and I've got to say it was very comfortable. My question is about tarps. Currently I have a cheap camo poly tarp from one of the home improvement stores.

Long story short, I would like to buy a proper tarp to cover my Skeeter Beeter Pro, but not sure what size would be the best. My cheap tarp is 10x12 and seems too large. I read somewhere that the pro is a little longer than some other hammocks out there.

I'm looking at a 10x10, so anyone else use a ten by ten for the skeeter beeter pro?

You should also consider getting some tree huggers to protect the trees. Using just cord can damage the bark on the trees, and that gives all hammockers a bad name.

An alternative to tree huggers is to use an all webbing suspension.

When you use a tarp that big, you can rig it square (not on the diagonal) and you'll get much better rain coverage. 10x12 is a pretty big tarp on the diagonal.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Depends on how much money you want to spend. Kelty Noah's tarp comes in 9X9 or 12 X 12 for under $100. I just recently got a MacCat deluxe in Slnylon for $115 and absolutely love it. It's 11.5 X 8.5 and gives me great coverage for my TrekLight double hammock.
    KJ

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    10x10 is still pretty big for a tarp if you're wanting to cut the size down. If you still want a large tarp, but want to lose some weight and bulk, then getting away from the big home improvement tarps and into some silnylon, spinn, cuben, etc is a really good way to accomplish your goal.

I like both my Speer Winter Tarp and MacCat Deluxe very much. I got the Deluxe after the SWT because I still wanted a good amount of coverage, but I needed less tieouts when it wasn't necessary for doors.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    Grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    UQ-poncho liner
    Suspension
    biners and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by vgnbkr View Post
    You should also consider getting some tree huggers to protect the trees. Using just cord can damage the bark on the trees, and that gives all hammockers a bad name.

An alternative to tree huggers is to use an all webbing suspension.

When you use a tarp that big, you can rig it square (not on the diagonal) and you'll get much better rain coverage. 10x12 is a pretty big tarp on the diagonal.
    Thanks, I am looking at puchasing some poly webbing from strapworks, that will come fairly soon, don't want to damage trees.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    If I may also suggest, setting up the tarp you have different ways, porch mode, windy blowing rain scenario, etc. by doing this over and over you will soon decide what size you are really wanting. You might just be happy with what you have..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images

Kelty Noah's Tarp

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Depends on how much money you want to spend. Kelty Noah's tarp comes in 9X9 or 12 X 12 for under $100. I just recently got a MacCat deluxe in Slnylon for $115 and absolutely love it. It's 11.5 X 8.5 and gives me great coverage for my TrekLight double hammock.
    KJ
    Was looking at buying a Kelty Noah. Is it a good tarp? I can't find anything about them.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Was looking at buying a Kelty Noah. Is it a good tarp? I can't find anything about them.
    Great tarps... just heavy compared to the silnylon types. I use the Noah's Tarp 9 with my ENO DoubleNest. If my new underquilt arrives in time, I'll be camping under it all next week on a bowhunting trip.

Happy napping,
    desmobob

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I like the look of the Kelty. Would like to make my own of silnylon. May just wait on the kelty, and DIY. Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    If you are looking for feedback on any camping/backpacking items, I usually go to REI to look at reviews REI Kelty Noah's tarps or I go to Trailspace site for the same thing Trailspace Kelty tarps.

The Noah is heavier than equivilent Silnylon or Spinn products, but are said to be bulletproof. I have a borrowed one right now I am experimenting with, and I have ordered one. The cheapest one I found was here $56.95 with free ground shipping (mine shipped last night). They are versatile and can be hung in many different configurations. I may mod mine to handle some specific needs I have.

There is also a discussion here on a similar product which is much cheaper, but backordered:
    Sportsman's Guide Guide Gear 12x12' Tarp.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast