Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

First Time Impressions

Everything expected and more. Andrew's and my first group hang, great meeting everyone and seeing all the great gear. Special thanks to those who waiting while this old coot made his way slowly to the parking lot. And who can forget the coyotes Saturday night. WOW.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That MacEntyre always stands out in a crowd doesn't he Happy Camper

Ahhh. very nice place! Lots of interesting things to see & people to meet. Wish I could have been there.
    Can you believe I've never been to Dolly Sods?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    After leaving home at 1:15 AM, thursday, and getting lost in the ghetto of Dayton, I arrived at HamMike's pad at around 6. We left shortly thereafter and made it to Dolly Sods around 2:30. The rain, which lasted from my leaving the house until Friday morning, kept us from exploring Bear Rocks for more than 15 minutes. A lull in the rain allowed us to setup camp. We got a chance to really talk with WV and met his hiking buddy. Boney made everyone feel safe from bears! The weather tested our hammock setups and everyone faired well. Friday, a groups of Boy Scouts, around 40, met and traversed the trails for three days. About 1 o'clock, HamMike and I day-hiked 3+ miles on the northside of the wilderness and WV enjoyed camp. The hike was extremely enjoyable - can you say beautiful! We got to meet most everyone and enjoyed chatting up a storm when we returned. A nice little fire ended the entertainment. The weather was a little chilly, but nothing like the night before. On saturday, we basically broke up into two groups. One group went on blackbird trail and the other took a longer hike. The later group car pooled and made their way under a bright sun, past a prairie, by a light valley bog, through a beaver dam, down a hill, and under some trees - quite a diversity of scenery. After we set up camp, the later group, mostly spent their time relaxing. The camp was split almost in half by the creek and I really never saw the other group for the remainder of the hang. Everyone on our side of the creek seemed to most of their camp chores about the same time. Wood was hard to find, but it got done and most stayed up until 10:30. I really enjoyed the camaraderie and working together all day.
    After falling asleep, I was dreaming of the Boy Scouts howling by our hammocks and then I woke up! The howling was quite amazing, as it was so close, loud, and lasted so long. Sunday, those on my side of the creek were up and out by 8:27 and got to the trailhead at 10:30. I was sad I didn't really see anyone, but WV in the morning from the other group and wanted to say goodbye. Everyone was friendly and had a positive attitude about everything. I'll look forward to seeing everyone again and spending more time with those who I didn't get to hike or camp with on Saturday.

To those who are interested in backpacking something different, Dolly Sods definitely offers some beautiful scenery; plenty of variety of hiking, and if you go at the right times - lots of huckleberries, blueberries, and other edibles. The trails while rocky, are mostly wide, easily marked with trail numbers, and provide many options with enough hiking for up to five days. Water didn't seem to hard to come by, but was scarce in some parts.

I'd like to thank Tracy for making it all happen! I will definitely visit Dolly Sods again for at least two nights - let's do it again, next week. lol For those who brought food or water; gagets to take a gander over and discuss; did fire duty of some sort; and showed up, my thanks to you all. And to Mike, I'll road trip with you anywhere.

If anyone wants to do a video or video slide show, I have plenty of photos I can send.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Looks like it was a fine weekend all around!

Shamefully, I have not hiked the Sods for at least ten years. Bad Jim. Sure wish I could have attended. Next year?

Jim

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Sure, if there is enough interest! The Blackbird Knob Trail was an easy in to the middle of Dolly Sods North and I'm hoping it was an interesting introduction to the area. Hoping people will come back and continue to explore DS.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Sure, if there is enough interest! The Blackbird Knob Trail was an easy in to the middle of Dolly Sods North and I'm hoping it was an interesting introduction to the area. Hoping people will come back and continue to explore DS.
    I will for sure!! Gotta see the rest!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Definitely a place to explore some more

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Got home Mon. night around 1900hrs.Hung at Senaca Creek area Sun. night.Got to get my brain to typing again for a proper report.Had a groovy yime with everyone!
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast