I've spent a few hours today working on a copy of Mac's IX UQ pattern for my wife's hammock. I don't have any IX on hand, so I'm using InsulBright instead, which is both thicker and heavier. but has similar insulating properties.
After creating a pattern from Mac's original; measuring and cutting the material; sewing the pleats; making a DWR bottom cover for it and sewing all the pieces together, I'm now fluent in swearing as well as English.
It's not that the work is extremely difficult. It's a combination of my lack of skill with my thread injector, stumbling through the project without a solid pattern and needing to improvise along the way. As noted in the thread about home-made Dutch Clips, it's probably cheaper to purchase the items than to make them. I have more time than money in hand right now, so the DIY route was the way to go.
Once I have finished making the breathable top cover, with pleats, and have installed it with a slot to allow adding additional insulation layers I'll take pics since I know it didn't happen without them. Once the project is done I'll have a usable pattern to use with the IX UQ that I bought from Mac.
I know that people have said that the IX doesn't need to be covered since it doesn't absorb water, but it's nice to have some coverage to prevent splashback from rain. The sleeve I'm making will hopefully allow the breathability I need without preventing evaporation like my pad does. Weight gain isn't that noticeable, and I'm not a gram weenie since I'm mainly a car camper. Hopefully the sleeve will see some action next month at Tallulah Gorge.