WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing

Copy of Mac's IX UQ

I've spent a few hours today working on a copy of Mac's IX UQ pattern for my wife's hammock. I don't have any IX on hand, so I'm using InsulBright instead, which is both thicker and heavier. but has similar insulating properties.

After creating a pattern from Mac's original; measuring and cutting the material; sewing the pleats; making a DWR bottom cover for it and sewing all the pieces together, I'm now fluent in swearing as well as English.

It's not that the work is extremely difficult. It's a combination of my lack of skill with my thread injector, stumbling through the project without a solid pattern and needing to improvise along the way. As noted in the thread about home-made Dutch Clips, it's probably cheaper to purchase the items than to make them. I have more time than money in hand right now, so the DIY route was the way to go.

Once I have finished making the breathable top cover, with pleats, and have installed it with a slot to allow adding additional insulation layers I'll take pics since I know it didn't happen without them. Once the project is done I'll have a usable pattern to use with the IX UQ that I bought from Mac.

I know that people have said that the IX doesn't need to be covered since it doesn't absorb water, but it's nice to have some coverage to prevent splashback from rain. The sleeve I'm making will hopefully allow the breathability I need without preventing evaporation like my pad does. Weight gain isn't that noticeable, and I'm not a gram weenie since I'm mainly a car camper. Hopefully the sleeve will see some action next month at Tallulah Gorge.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've used insul-brite myself some time ago, and it works reasonably well.

For a cheap alternative to IX, they sell thin foam on a roll for floor underlayment. A friend of mine has a partial roll left over from a pergo installation. It's much thicker than IX, but lightweight and cheap. (no it doesn't breathe) My daughter's new Casio Keyboard came wrapped in similar stuff (.5mm thick) it's just big enough for a kid's 3/4 UQ, so that's my next project (as soon as I can find some really cheap and thin nylon...)

The only downside to InsulBrite is the static electricity... on a dry night, any little movement turns your hammock into a static generator... ZAP!

Pics?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Last week I started making a two layer material from PE foam. Basically, the 1/32" PE foam is cut into two inch strips, basket-woven into a piece about 50"x60". This woven PE foam will be breathable, two layers thick, with inherent loft.

I'll post more about it later!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Mac,

That is so smart. Weaving will give a non-breathable material some pretty good breathability and the 2 layers will slow airflow to maintain insulating value. Very clever. I have been following the PE UQ thread but must have missed your construction method. How labor intensive is the weaving? Will it negate for you the cost savings of the PE over Insultex? Very clever!

-Tim

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I love threads like this; so many great ideas bouncing around!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Very cool! or should I say-- Warm!

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Last week I started making a two layer material from PE foam. Basically, the 1/32" PE foam is cut into two inch strips, basket-woven into a piece about 50"x60". This woven PE foam will be breathable, two layers thick, with inherent loft.

I'll post more about it later!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I reposted about weaving in the PE Foam thread.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Strapped-4-cache...

[...but it's ok since you copied the Molly Mac Gear UQ design, right? ]
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    No offense taken, Mac.

I missed the PE foam thread, but I'm getting caught up. And I'm intrigued.

After reading John's comment about the static problem I'm interested in finding an inexpensive insulating material that *doesn't* have that unfortunate side-effect.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    in which case you might want to avoid nylon material..kind of tough in this venue..but as with so many things, different materials have different generating factors...KM

• + New Posts