HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3 Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

About my HH tarp.

Ok so i ordered my HH hammock with the regular rainfly in the beggining of the summer. I got the explorer deluxe. In a couple storms i got wet so to make a long story short i am looking looking for a tarp that can give me good protection and that works good in winter conditions. I am new to hammocking so please dont do any hammock slang.

The tarp im looking at is the 70D hex fly from HH. Is that learge enough? i would get doors sewn onto it.
    Last edited by Youngmoose; 09-19-2010 at 21:54.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngmoose View Post
    Ok so i ordered my HH hammock with the regular rainfly in the beggining of the summer. I got the explorer deluxe. In a couple storms i got wet so to make a long story short i am looking looking for a tarp that can give me good protection and that works good in winter conditions. I am new to hammocking so please dont do any hammock slang.

The tarp im looking at is the 70D hex fly from HH. Is that learge enough? i would get doors sewn onto it.
    Hammock slang? Who us?

Just curious, was the tarp attached to the trees or to the hammock when you got wet?

That 70D hex should be plenty big enough. But unless they have changed the product, it should be noted that there used to be a spec error on the web site. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#cat

It shows that both the 30D Hex and the 70D hex have a 144" length. I had both, and they don't: the sil-nyl 30D hex is not only 6 oz lighter, it is longer. I think the 70D is actually 11 feet long? Not sure, but the 70D I had was smaller than the 12 foot 30D.

Still, either should provide a lot more coverage and wind stability than the stock tarp. But if I had the money, I would go with the 30D.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I got the 70D as the option when I bought mine. That thing is huge. Should have no problems staying dry. Take a look at Shug's you tube videos for the beginning hammocker. You will learn oodles about tarps and what-not from him. And he's rather entertaining as well!
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

HH Tarp

I got both the stock and hex tarp with my explorer deluxe and I can vouch for the ample coverage that the hex provides. Doors may be nice in winter but you won't need them otherwise. I've been in some serious weather with the hex and nothing has ever gotten wet. Can't beat the price either...Bush

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3 Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hammock slang? Who us?

Just curious, was the tarp attached to the trees or to the hammock when you got wet?

That 70D hex should be plenty big enough. But unless they have changed the product, it should be noted that there used to be a spec error on the web site. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#cat

It shows that both the 30D Hex and the 70D hex have a 144" length. I had both, and they don't: the sil-nyl 30D hex is not only 6 oz lighter, it is longer. I think the 70D is actually 11 feet long? Not sure, but the 70D I had was smaller than the 12 foot 30D.

Still, either should provide a lot more coverage and wind stability than the stock tarp. But if I had the money, I would go with the 30D.
    i had my tarp attached to the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngmoose View Post
    i had my tarp attached to the hammock.
    OK then, there you go, not enough coverage. I have found the best coverage is attached to the hammock ( as you were ). When I tie to trees, then when the hammock sags I usually feel pretty exposed, even when I attach the hammock higher on the trees than the tarp.

When I use that tarp, tied to the hammock, with the HH Super Shelter, it seems pretty bomb proof. If I have the tarp pitched low at all, it is actually in contact with the sil-nylon UC in some spots. That makes for some pretty good coverage.

• + New Posts