Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Insulation
    KAQ Flame Thrower
    Suspension
    In the works
    Jsaults,

How did you rig your tarp to hang on a separate ridgeline? Probably a newbie question indeed, but I'm new to hammocking and have been brainstorming how I could modify the hh tarp for better coverage. I've added an adjustable ridgeline with paracord under it, tieing off at the rings that you clip onto the hammock line, but it seemed to throw it off center, so I was wondering if it could just run on it's own line.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

For an adjustable tarp ridgeline, you may want to try a seperate tarp ridgeline (full length, tree to tree) and have the tarp connected to that line with prusik knots that allow plenty of adjustment along the length of the ridgeline.

Last edited by mtncmpr; 09-29-2010 at 21:51.
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've just bought one of the Hennessy hammocks used at the Scout Jamboree. I've taken it on two trips and hung it up and two different scouts have used it for those weekends. But no or very little rain. Well, I'm getting rain now at my house so I've got it hanging in the back yard. It's raining cats and dogs out there. I've not got it right yet so I've not stayed in it through the night. Just went out side to check it and found that during the night, rain splash had soaked the military poncho liner that I'd attached with shockcord to the bottom. It's now in the dryer!!
    I think the tarp that came with this hammock is the standard size, it's very small!! Just had one of the loops that attaches to the rope that goes to the tree break. I tied it back to the rope but will need to sew it back down when all this rain quits.
    Inside the hammock, I've put my summer down quilt. I wanted to see if it'd stay dry. So far it has.
    I've got one side of the tarp (the side I get in on) pulled way out and the other side is staked together with the shockcord pullout on that side. So far with rain just falling straight down and very little wind, no rain is blowing up under either side of the tarp. I'm thinking that will change as the weather around here gets worse.
    I have put a ridgeline under the tarp. I just couldn't get it up off the hammock without something to actually hold it up. Still testing that too.
    So far I'm surprised at how this tiny strange shaped tarp is working out. Still though, I'm not ready to trust it yet on a backpacking trip.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    TL, I've used that tiny tarp a few times in hard, blowing rain. As I think I said earlier, the key is to get the tarp properly centered over the hammock, stake the sides fairly close and add weights to the sides (this keeps the tarp from sagging and whipping in the wind).
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    TL, I've used that tiny tarp a few times in hard, blowing rain. As I think I said earlier, the key is to get the tarp properly centered over the hammock, stake the sides fairly close and add weights to the sides (this keeps the tarp from sagging and whipping in the wind).
    yep, I've been trying all that. I also had to raise the straps on my trees because of the rain hitting the ground and splashing back onto my under quilt(military poncho liner). It wouldn't have mattered so much if I'd had my regular under quilt as it's made with DWR nylon and the rain splash wouldn't have made a difference.

Now I sort of have to stand on my toes to get into the hammock. (HH zip entry). I do have the tarp attached to the shockcord that pulls out the sides of the hammock. I put a loop into the shockcord so I could hook the tarp to it and that's about at the half way point on the shockcord. This is keeping the tarp from sagging or whipping in the wind. We'll see in the morning how well it does with this tropical mess that's passing through. It's just plain nasty out there but I did think the tarp was doing a pretty good job after I got it and the hammock a bit higher off the ground.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I know what you mean. My confidence in the standard tarp isn't that great. I just got their much larger hex tarp that I'll test this weekend and probably take with me to a 3 night trip to the Pisgah Nat. Park next week.
    Last edited by CrankyOldGuy; 09-30-2010 at 16:44. Reason: Further attempt to write coherently.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12