DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    thanks for the info on twisting the webbing, very useful.

as far as aluminum goes, the big box hardware stores usually carry something for a jacked up price(still under $10 though). I work for a machine shop so I get all the scrap I like, I'd suggest checking out a scrap yard for selection's sake if you can't find what you want at the stores(it's cheaper too)

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I tried Home Depot at lunch. They had some AL bar, but it was too narrow or not thick enough. I found what seems like a good place on-line last night: http://www.onlinemetals.com

I ordered several feet of 3/16" 6061 T6, which is supposed to be very strong, for about $18 delivered. Should get here next week sometime. I think I'm going to make a homemade cleat that has two slots for threading the strap through.

I'll play with the rings in the meantime, but I really like the idea of the cleat. It seems more secure to me and, even over-built for peace of mind, I think I can do it lighter

i've been using online metals for years. they aren't cheap but they are extremely convenient for small quantities.

i have other sources for 7075 blocks for milling (milling 7075 is like milling steal compared to butteryness of 6061)

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Ah, I'm glad they're a reputable place. My only concern is that they're in Seattle, so it'll probably take forever to get here. I'm not so good with the patience.

I thought it might be a bit expensive, but anything under $20 pretty much slips under the radar anyway.

Maybe I'll grab some 7075 to mess with next time. I was considering it, but everyone seemed to be using the 6061 and I thought it might be tougher to work with. My poor Dremel's already going to get quite a workout, I'm guessing.

Images
    6061 is more common and less expensive than 7075. As well as slightly less tough and strong.

Most high strength applications use 6061 since its easier to source and less expensive.
    So many projects, So little time....

wow. thats nice. I think a mooring hitch would work well, they cinch apun weight, and release easily.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    wow, after looking up the mooring hitch I think I might need to replace my normal quick release knot(expoding half hitch? see gallery) with it. I've never had my usual knot come undone but it's nice to see that the mooring hitch has twice the pinch points
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is crazy - I hadn't read this thread or the other one, but I have been thinking of ways to use cord with a quick-adjust, but w/o making a new gadget. The garda hitch looks like it'll work great.

Found another easy way this weekend using one ring and the Spectra...I'll post pics in another thread when I download them. Not sure it's any easier than this method, but it only uses one ring.

Question - does the type of cord matter with the garda hitch? I'm thinking high-friction stuff like braided sheaths vs slippery stuff like the BPL Air Core.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have been using the garda hitch for a while now. It does work better with a cord that has some grip. I have tried it with my bare spectra and I have to put the stopper knot in for sure. It works great with the stock HH line.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Found another easy way this weekend using one ring and the Spectra...I'll post pics in another thread when I download them. Not sure it's any easier than this method, but it only uses one ring.
    Looking forward to the pics. I have thought about using one ring on one end to cinch up too and leave the double rings on the other end for small adjustments.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast