DIY
    Tarp
    Spears
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Woopie Toggle

Coat to Under quilt

Ok so I am a long time viewer of HF and this is my first post. I have been a DIY guy from the very start making my first gathered end hammock two years ago. I have never thought I was any good at it but love the challenge of making my own stuff.

I hike a Golite perspective pack and a Skeeter Beater hammock. On a recent trip out I screwed up and did not do a weather report and went out with my z-rest and a fleece throw. Man I like to have froze as temps got down to the low 50's (at one point started a fire in the middle of the night and slept next to it) so after returning home I was determined to do something about this. I wanted a under quilt. I have seen that almost everyone uses one and though I like to buck the system I think it is worth a try. When I really started digging into them I found that for a good one I was going to have to part with a little money (ok alot) so I started looking at DIY quilts. Then I was looking through my gear box and found that I had gotten a down long coat some time back at the salvation army that I think i bought just to get the down out of it. As I looked at it I thought with very few mods it might do as a under quilt at least for testing.

So I first tried to just hook on some elastic I had around and connect it to the bottom of the hammock. This was as is sleeves and all. I don't know if it was the way i was suspending it or just being a newbie but I could not get it to seal up against the hammock. So I took the sleeves off and sewed them together to make a doubling at the top and it seems to work. I made some channels and hooked it up and I think I like it. I am not sure how I will do suspension but I am hoping it will work as a starter quilt. It only weighs about 8.5oz and compressed down nicely.

So I want to post this to get people opinion as well as to as some suspension questions. I have seen people do the channels along the sides but when I tried that the middle sagged and when I do the corners the elastic seems to have to be very tight. I am going to try some shock cord but not sure what thickness to get. Any help would be great even the you must be crazy help. I will try to put pics on this post but have never done that so we will see.

Thanks
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Welcome to HF resomar

Sorry i cant help you with this, but a big for trying the coat/quilt out - it really made me smile.

/Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    While that coat probably isn't very high quality down, it sure looks as big or bigger then a typical 3/4 quilt! I think you can make it work!

Sorry I don't have any suggestions beyond that.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Looks like that'll work alright. Some others will likely chime in shortly on how to handle the suspension, but it looks like it'll work to me. Big props. Looks functional as is. But better is always a plus.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if it was me...i would sew a channel with grosgrain in the long end and add shock cord to it so you can cinch it down to fit the shape of the hammock better...and sew grosgrain tabs on all 4 corners..and hang it like a JRB quilt...

and if your not going to use it as a jacket...cut the arms off and sew them closed...save some weight...and you can make Down camp socks out of them
    just an idea
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This makes me want to make a sleeved UQ. Maybe a short sleeved vest like UQ with all the standard UQ features + the sleeves that close to seal drafts when in uq mode. HMMM...

-Tim

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    This makes me want to make a sleeved UQ. Maybe a short sleeved vest like UQ with all the standard UQ features + the sleeves that close to seal drafts when in uq mode. HMMM...

-Tim
    A sleeved UQ with a 2/3 UQ will make a full UQ with the ability to wear one part of it as a jacket. Multipurpose!
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am thinking 3/4 uq used as a vest by turning it 90* opposed to how it will hang under the hammock. The chest zipper will run along the head and foot drawcord tube. I can't let this idea slip away, must explore it more. You could close the drawcord that run on the sides as a uq to cinch it at the waist and to close the top (40+" is too long for a vest but will extend up over the head if size right) to close the top in forming a simple hood. Will look silly but thats half the fun

-Tim

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Turn your coat around so the widest part is near your head and the collar is at your feet.
    Add a channel along the edge to seal, put shockcord in the channel.
    Put four tie out points on the coat at the four corners and suspend the whole coat under your hammock.
    Done right your mods will be unnoticeable and you can wear the coat as normal.

Just pulling the sleeves inside the coat will add loft to the main body (under your tush).
    Your coat is longer, so you may need additional channels along the long edges. But turning it so the shoulders are at the head end may solve the fit problem.

Check this link, it may give you some ideas.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10303
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I will add....
    Most down coats and vests are differentially cut already, so keep the inside inside and the outside out. Pulling the sleeves in added key loft to the most critial areas.
    Using the adjustable plastic hooks make the fit absolute custom and easy to do while your IN the hammock. I remove the suspension and stash it in one of the pockets along with a small stuff sack. I wear the coat to cold football games or out hunting (I cover the black with my camo jacket or poncho), the mods have zero effect on the performance as a coat.

Now that I've played with it, I could remove the adj. hooks and go with a direct connection with shockcord and mini biners..but I change hammocks like I change underwear...once a week..

If sag is an issue with your coat add a pair of tie outs midway and suspend over your ridgeline on the hammock (refer to shugs uq video and he shows the mod). Basically some shockcord and a mitten hook.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast