WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    The tradegy in Indiana has me re-thinking my decision process when selecting trees to hang from.
    I just caught this story- that's a terrible accident, and a fairly large-diameter tree that fell. I give my chosen trees a thump with a stout stick (usually my walking stick) and a solid shake.

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    WHat happen in Indiana?????

Also, I look for trees that are at least 5 inches dia. and NEVER set up on a tree on a creek side......( tis is my rule of thumb ) Also, during the summer months I check for bee nests......

Jerry the Hiker

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    HERE is a link to the thread about the tragic death in Indiana related to hammocks.

The link to the related news story is HERE.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Ah ha! (raising right index finger) My hand length is about 6 inches (I have small hands for my height). So, what I'm gathering from y'all is that if the tree diam is as wide as my hand is long, I can move on to the next step of giving the tree a good shove and then knocking on it. I suppose just knocking on one spot isn't sufficient, but one should also give a couple solid knocks up and down the trunk, too, to make sure the entire tree is solid. If that goes well, I am to look up at the trees I've selected to hang from and the surrounding trees for widow makers. If all seems in order and I don't have any creepy vibes, I can go with it.

Any further input? And, thanks for the great info!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Its an absolutely horrific incident. My thoughts and prayers go to the families.

Don't forget, though, this seems to be a pretty isolated incident. I think looking for widow makers and leaves should be the no. 1 priority. Try not to let this tragedy rock you too much. I've been following outdoor forums for years and have never heard of anything like this.

I mean, come on we hang between trees in fabric with tiny cords. We have to assume some risks but we MANAGE those risks. Please dont let it keep you out of the woods!!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    Ah ha! (raising right index finger) My hand length is about 6 inches (I have small hands for my height). So, what I'm gathering from y'all is that if the tree diam is as wide as my hand is long, I can move on to the next step of giving the tree a good shove and then knocking on it. I suppose just knocking on one spot isn't sufficient, but one should also give a couple solid knocks up and down the trunk, too, to make sure the entire tree is solid. If that goes well, I am to look up at the trees I've selected to hang from and the surrounding trees for widow makers. If all seems in order and I don't have any creepy vibes, I can go with it.

Any further input? And, thanks for the great info!
    Maybe give them both a good shake too, if you can manage it. See if anything falls, or moves too much up there. See if there are a lot of dead leaves on the branches.

It's tricky in the winter to see whether a tree is just dormant or dead, since the leaves are usually gone.

my .02

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I also look at the species of tree. A six inch diameter white oak is going to be different than a 6 inch sasafrass for example. Additionally, assess the overall health of the canopy. Look for patterns of disease and deterioration as it relates to size and species of trees.

I have heated my house with wood for 40 years and dropped and cut a lot of trees during those years. An observant eye goes a long way. Stop, look and even listen and the trees will tell their stories of storms, pests, and lush growth all at once. It is so much fun to be there to share with them.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I also look at the species of tree. A six inch diameter white oak is going to be different than a 6 inch sasafrass for example. Additionally, assess the overall health of the canopy. Look for patterns of disease and deterioration as it relates to size and species of trees.
    Excellent input! Tree type is a great consideration to add, as is giving a good shake. Thanks to you both!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Definitely true. I hung my wife and son from Aspens a couple trips ago...that same diameter tree would have been find in another species, but since they were Aspens the hammocks ended up on the ground by morning. I really looked like superdad then...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    to tell if a tree is alive or dead in winter look for the presence of buds.most dead trees will not have buds on them.
    do not nock on or shake a tree untill you are certain there are no widowmakers above you.
    if you are expecting lots of snow do not set up under pines.their large needle covered branches hold a lot of snow.which may cause them to break.in the north this is especially true of white pine they have weak branches.i will not even walk under them if they are covered with heavy wet snow.
    safely hung
    bill

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast