Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb New Double Nest Owner

Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole hammock thing and just got a double nest at an REI garagesale for $25 in perfect condition. What are some of the recommended upgrades for these things? I've done some reading on some of the forums, but I'm still a little confused about some of the terminology.

Also, any suggestions for bugnets and tarps?

I've been backpacking for several years, but just recently heard about the hammock camping, so when I saw the hammock at REI I snatched it up. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most out of it.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    mrhat:
    Different types suspension upgrades are going to be thrown at you for the ENO DN. Check out the videos from Shug or Grizz, Shug Emery or Professor Hammock on Youtube, whick are very informative and entertaining at the same time. Their videos are also in the video section of the forum. To find them go to the top of the page and click on the video tab then look for the suspension videos.

I have changed mine over to a Cinch Buckle/Strap/Dutch Clip suspension system. Very simple system to install and adjust. You can get the Cinch Buckles (CB) and straps from Arrowhead Equipment. And the Dutch Clips (DC) can be purchased from Jacks R Better.

Don't forget the Whoopie Sling Suspension system. All of the items for this suspension system can be purchased from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment as well.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Definitely ditch the stock suspension. Cut off the rope and toss out the biners.

I have done the same as bigbamaguy. I have a loop of amsteel with cinch buckles on them and the loop is girth hitched through the end channels of my DN. The webbing simply goes around the tree and secured with a Dutch clip and then adjusted through the cinch buckles.

I use whoopie slings and webbing on another hammock. They are a good choice if you are more concerned about weight and bulk for backpacking.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    If you're not worried about weight. For instance, if you recognize it's easier for you to lose 5 lbs than to cut 5 lbs out of your gear, then just leave it be.

Some folks here will talk about the horrors of the ENO Slap Straps and how much they stretch. They don't actually stretch. In fact, the engineering tests on the Slap Strap Pro version show a max stretch of 3% when the strap material is fully saturated with water. That said, whoopie slings are in fact a better and more adjustable route to go for suspension...

-SB

"The only true faith in God's sight is Islam." (Surah 3:19)

Thanks for the help guys. I usually try to keep my pack on the lighter side when I hike, though I'm not a super ultra-light guy, but usually my whole setup is easily under 20lbs without water. One reason I was hoping to go with a hammock was to maybe cut back on weight a little bit. So would whoopie slings be the way to go if I want to stay on the lighter end of things?

Also, what about tarps and bug nets?

Thanks again.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    Whoopie slings are the way to go for lightweight hiking. Sewing your own bug net is also the lightest option. Lots of tarps available in good designs from outfitters that frequent this site; it's the tarps size and definitely its material that affects weight there. I advise you to go big with your first tarp because of functional options and versatility, but ultra light means going smaller. There's always give and take with tarp design, you know? Bigger is better for inclement weather, but small and light are workable in good conditions, etc...

-SB

"The only true faith in God's sight is Islam." (Surah 3:19)

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    As far as the bugnets go, I have one of the ENO Guardians and a DIY net, that I made from two camp cot skeeter nets. The Guardian is extremely heavy compared to my DIY net, but he Guardian is no-see-um where my DIY is just mossie netting!!!!!!!!

Tarps I have a Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream, not being produced at this time, that I have let the signifigant other take over. She likes the coverage and the "door" closing ability. Other tarp is a OES Maccat DeLux in Spinn........really like this tarp. Great coverage and weight savings over the BWDD WD tarp.

good luck in your search.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    mrhat, are you inclined to take the DIY route to happiness yet, or are you lucky enough to be a "more money than time" kind of bloke?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    the first thing i did with my ENO DN is ditched the rope and clips, and added DIY 1/8" whoopie slings (overkill, but it helps me sleep!), 1" ratchet straps with dutch clips and a marlin spike hitch with a graphite arrow section for a toggle. definitely watch shug's video for hammock hanging. very well done, entertaining, and informative. you are good to go!
    welcome to hanging!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Cinch Buckle/Strap/Dutch Clip suspension system
    Did the same on my Doublenest and changed the stock rope ends for Amsteel.
    I think it added 4oz to the overalll weight but I can now hang the hammock in a matter of seconds. I also added a Bishop sack to store it in.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast