DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Attaching ridgeline

I've got my DIY camo hammo set up with whoopie slings and an Arowhead whoopie ridgeline. The ridgeline has loops spliced at both ends, so I just made a loop back on itself and slipped the whoopies suspension through this and let it tighten where the whoopie attaches to the hammock end. This is working just fine, except I have to loosen the ridgeline loops to adjust the ridgeline whoopie, no big deal. Only problem is the ridgeline is only a foot or so above my head when I am laying in the hammock. Would like to have it a little higher. Is there a better way to attach it? I think you can see how it is set up in these pictures.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'd suggest more sag...shortening your ridgeline will essentially raise your ridgeline height
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I know this is obvious, but more sag will raise the ridgeline.

My setup is similar to yours and my RL is about 15" above my face.

There are a couple "pigtail" solutions by splicing an eye or tail in the whoopie. I want to spend a little time thinking about it before I post it. On the surface, I'm not comfortable with 8 strand 7//64" line and side loading it nor splitting the braid.

Normally, ridge line failures do not cause any immediate danger, but once we start putting it in the suspension, it may cause a suspension failure.

A simple test would be to prussic your ridgeline to your whoopie sling with a prussic that will fail first. Maybe use a strong braided mason twine (180#) or Lash it/Zing it. The green braided mason twine at Walmart in the fishing section for trot lines is 180# test.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You could try shortening the ridgeline. You might get a more diagonal position that's flatter that way, too. Alternatively, you can attach the ridgeline to the hammock lines a little way above the hammock ends.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Try making the SRL 83% of the length of your hammock as a starting point and then adjust to your preference. It looks like you are inline with the hamock. As others have said, more sag may be needed.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks all. If I move the RL up the whoopies will it slip? Hammock is just a little short, so this might be as good as it gets. It's working just fine, but would rather have some more room under it for reading with my arms extended. I've started keeping this in the car, last weekend spent a couple hours waiting for my sons at a state park day use area. Set the hammock up and spent a relaxing couple of hours lounging in it. Takes about 30 seconds to set up and take down. My new best friend!

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    man, you wear some bright shirts. thats awesome.

the way mine is setup i have my suspension whoopies running to descender rings that are connected together by the ridgeline. i then have continuous loops from those descender rings to the gathered ends of my hammock.

This setup allows me almost two feet of space above me to the ridgeline (arm fully extended to reach while laying). I dont know if you would want to go this route or not but it works great for me, esp in bugnet season.
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like the idea of using the rings, but how are you going from the hammock to the ring? Guess a short piece of Amsteel with a loop on each end would do it??

That shirt is a Brooks Nightlife, I often run late at night and want to be visible. On the trail, I want folks to find my carcass before it starts smelling too bad
    ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    I like the idea of using the rings, but how are you going from the hammock to the ring? Guess a short piece of Amsteel with a loop on each end would do it??

That shirt is a Brooks Nightlife, I often run late at night and want to be visible. On the trail, I want folks to find my carcass before it starts smelling too bad
    ;-)
    Yes a loop or a short eye to eye sling. The 83% for a gathered end will not ring true if you go from ring to ring. You would essentially be mimicking the single line suspension idea but not using a single line. Perhaps the SLS is something that may tickle your fancy. I believe there is a sticky up top about it.

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBBB,Skeeter Beater
    Tarp
    MacCat Std in sil
    Insulation
    New & Lost River
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Hello Big Jim Mac, I had the same trouble when I installed a ridgeline on my Grand Trunk. The ridgeline was just too close to the hammock for my comfort. Problem solved!

I believe i got this method from Hawk-eye.
    A pair of chain links from AHE (continous loops of amsteel) larks-headed to the hammock to a Dutch Biner.
    Ridgeline connects to the Dutch Biner - this raises the ridgeline height nicely.
    Whoopie slings from Biner to tree straps.

I couldn't be happier with this setup, I suspect I doubled my hammocks comfort!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast