Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie deciding on which hammock

Hi everyone, I'm really new to both these forums and hammocking. I was hoping to get some help on which hammock to get.

http://forums.backpacker.com/eve/for...9/m/1501049263

There's where I started but I'll summarize my ideas here. I started looking at the Clark but then everyone kinda seemed to recommend HH so I checked them out. I liked that they were lighter and cheaper and especially liked the A-sym b/c people have told me (just hearsay so please set me straight if need be) that sleeping in a hammock for extended periods of time can do a number on your back and everything. Anyway, I live in Boulder, CO so the majority of my hiking is going to be in the Rockies so I needed some sort of cold weather system. I added up prices and weights for how I think I'd actually have a Hennessy set up and got this:
    w/ undercover and underpad: 3.625 lbs and $370
    w/ underquilt: 3.5625 lbs and $465

Not bad when I compared them to other sleep options, especially for the comfort. I was just about ready to buy one though and someone directed me here. I read around and started looking at the Clark again because people seemed to have more faith in their insulation then I did. If I can truly get away with just the hammock and a closed cell pad then the Clark comes in at 3.5625 lbs and $303. Only thing is that if it ever was warm enough for the Hennessy without all that insulation stuff I'd be just over 2 lbs when I don't have that option with the Clark.

So anyway, I feel like I'm back to the drawing board and could use some help. I don't know anyone with a hammock to try it out first so I was thinking that I could get the Hennessy from REI and return it if I needed to but I'd have to buy the insulation separately and then I don't have REI's return policy to fall back on. Plus, I read somewhere here that Clark has a similar return policy and I could try it "risk-free."

Well that was a long summary but thanks in advance!

*Edit* I forgot to say I'm a side sleeper and that really drew me to HH too!

Quote Originally Posted by Cessna View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm really new to both these forums and hammocking. I was hoping to get some help on which hammock to get.
    I'm pretty new too, so I won't make any recommendations but be sure this one is on your list to consider:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF Cessna. good move on getting started in your backpacking w/ a hammock.
    there's one very active HF member that's in your state who happens to sell a new version of hammock that's been well liked.
    he goes by warbonnetguy.
    here is a review by one of the members (cannibal) on one of the warbonnet hammocks.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1446
    Last edited by slowhike; 11-06-2007 at 23:22.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

http://forums.backpacker.com/eve/for...9/m/1501049263

There's where I started but I'll summarize my ideas here. I started looking at the Clark but then everyone kinda seemed to recommend HH so I checked them out. I liked that they were lighter and cheaper and especially liked the A-sym b/c people have told me (just hearsay so please set me straight if need be) that sleeping in a hammock for extended periods of time can do a number on your back and everything. Anyway, I live in Boulder, CO so the majority of my hiking is going to be in the Rockies so I needed some sort of cold weather system. I added up prices and weights for how I think I'd actually have a Hennessy set up and got this:
    w/ undercover and underpad: 3.625 lbs and $370
    w/ underquilt: 3.5625 lbs and $465

Not bad when I compared them to other sleep options, especially for the comfort. I was just about ready to buy one though and someone directed me here. I read around and started looking at the Clark again because people seemed to have more faith in their insulation then I did. If I can truly get away with just the hammock and a closed cell pad then the Clark comes in at 3.5625 lbs and $303. Only thing is that if it ever was warm enough for the Hennessy without all that insulation stuff I'd be just over 2 lbs when I don't have that option with the Clark.

So anyway, I feel like I'm back to the drawing board and could use some help. I don't know anyone with a hammock to try it out first so I was thinking that I could get the Hennessy from REI and return it if I needed to but I'd have to buy the insulation separately and then I don't have REI's return policy to fall back on. Plus, I read somewhere here that Clark has a similar return policy and I could try it "risk-free."

Well that was a long summary but thanks in advance!

*Edit* I forgot to say I'm a side sleeper and that really drew me to HH too!
    Welcome to the forum. In my experience, there is no best hammock out there. There are several hammocks out there that would meet your needs. With that being said, I will give you some personal opinions. I started out with a Hennessy Expedition cause of the popularity and features. It was a quality hammock that I liked. I upgraded to the Hyperlight to save weight. I also have a Treklight double hammock. This is wider than the average hammock and really let's you stretch out. It does not come with a bug net but that is no big deal this time of year. You can always get one later. You'd have to get a tarp seperate also. Several nice options to choose from around here. The cat cut tarps are very popular. The MacCat deluxe is really nice www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
    The Sportsmans Guide 9x9 tarp is also pretty popular for it's price and coverage www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247
    Keep in mind the Hennessy stock tarp is small and offers little room for error in bad weather.
    Treklight hammocks is located in Boulder so you could buy it locally www.treklightonline.com They are also members of this forum.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=treklight
    I have recently sold my Hyperlight and have pre-ordered the new JRB Bear Mountain Bridge hammock because I am a side and stomach sleeper and have found that I'm not as comfy as I would like to be in traditional hammocks.
    www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
    Concerning the Clark vs. the Hennessy, I dont know much about the Clark other than what I've read. A pad or pads would work equally well with both of them. If you use pads you should really consider one of these www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    There are a few fans of the undercover and underpad here but there are better options such as a pad or underquilt IMO.
    Do check this site out that is run by Just Jeff who is a moderator here. Great hammock camping info www.tothewoods.net
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-06-2007 at 23:31.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cessna- Welcome! Shouldn't you be from Wichita with a username like that?

Love me my Warbonnet! I'm also the proud owner of a Hennessy, which I like almost as much. The Clark is a little out of reach right now, but it is on my list of toys that I want. What I can't believe is that neo hasn't chimed in about his Claytor!!!! It would seem to be a good match for what you're looking for, except maybe a little heavy. neo raves about the use of pads in his Claytor and claims to have been able to go pretty low temp wise. Of course, he has antifreeze in his blood I think. He's a Hennessy convert if I remember correctly.

I'm biased, but I'd take a ride up to Ft. Collins and see about trying out one of the Warbonnets. I don't know if they are as pad friendly as the others, but I've used an SPE in it without problems.

Side sleeper; sounds like the perfect candidate for the newest subculture here on the forums: The JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. I think you get a secret decoder ring with purchase or build.

I'm pretty new to hanging too, but will give you my experience, since you mentioned back problems.

I have had back problems off and on for many years. In my bed at home, I can rarely stand to stay lying down for more than 8 hours, 9 if I push it. I end up with shoulder aches. Sleeping on the ground, I have a similar limit - makes for an uncomfortable morning when winter camping, with the Looong nights.

I own a Speer hammock and love it. Since I have started hanging it with pronounced slack, and lying just slightly on the diagonal, I have slept VERY comfortably for up to 11 hours in the hammock. This is not the norm for me, but I could never stay lying down that long in a tent. Besides, I normally toss and turn every couple of hours in bed or on ground - in the hammock I spent most of the night on my back, occasionally repositioning my legs and was comfortable. Could also lie on my side comfortably.

As others told me when I first got my hammock, there is a learning curve. Be willing to listen to advice, experiment and don't give up too soon. You will find what works for you and be very happy.

Just an unashamed plug - I LOVE my Speer with the Cat Tarp - have stayed completely dry and comfortable through some prolonged, heavy rains. Also, many people discuss how they have modified their attachment systems here in the forums, but for the life of me, I cannot imagine how anything could be easier than the method Ed Speer recommends. Simply wrap the strap around a tree a few times and tuck in the free end, not even any knots involved. Has worked very well for me so far.

My $0.02 worth.
    Last edited by lyleb; 11-07-2007 at 09:36.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Totally missed the part about the back. That is what got me into hammocks! I slept in one at home for a week and liked it so much I took my bed down and haven't looked back; that was 7 months ago. My chiropractor is pissed because I don't come visit him twice a month anymore. My knees actually work when I first wake-up (first time in 16 years) and my back never hurts anymore. Myth busted.

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

I would say that the recurring theme around here is...

how back pain disappears when using a hammock. I don't camp in mine yet, but my knotted hammocks never mess with my back. I always feel better after sleeping in a hammock.
    Wade

Wow, thanks guys, I've got a lot more reading to do but ya'll are definitely not making it easier! lol

I don't really have back problems exactly but they do run in my family and I think the only reason I don't have them yet is because I'm young and in shape. My spine does look a little interesting on an X-ray! So it's just something I want to keep in mind.

My main concern is temperature and weight. I need some sort of system that will bring me down into mid 20s to call it a 3-season up here. Hiking season's pretty much over here (for 3-season stuff anyway) and my next trip will probably be a winter trip in AZ so part of me is even thinking about putting off the hammock til spring since there won't be trees anyway but there is a chance of some small trips while visiting my parents in Louisiana. ugh...too much to think about.

Anyway, is there someplace online that I can look at the Warbonnets? Their sold in Ft. Collins? I might be able to catch a ride up there sometime.

Keep the advice coming! Thanks again!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Anyway, is there someplace online that I can look at the Warbonnets? Their sold in Ft. Collins?
    Not yet; he is still fighting patent fights. Shoot warbonnetguy a PM, he'll respond and can probably get you some pics.

I'll be in Denver the last week of December visiting family and doing some cold weather tests. I'll bring my HH along if you want to get a feel for it and the Warbonnet. Let me know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast