Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7

Pictures of my Clark set-up...

I went out for an over-nighter along the St Croix River in Wisconsin...just a walk-in campsite but I was alone so it was lovely...temps got down below freezing. There was a little drizzle just as I went to bed and a little snow just as I got up...frost on the tarp. I, unfortunately, went to bed dehydrated and woke up at 2am with frozen feet. I used a full length Exped Downmat 7, GoLite Fur quilt..maybe rated at 32F...I don't remember....I slept in silk longjohns and Montbell down pants and vest with extra clothing stuffed in the pockets...I sleep cold, only weigh 110, have pneumonia all the time due to past health issues so try to not get cold...didn't work but it wasn't the fault of the Clark...

I love that hammock! I disconnected the tarp from the hammock and added lines to the foot end of the tarp. I had 3 lines running to the tree...one for the tarp, one for the netting and one for the hammock body...this gave me what I wanted...the tarp was well above the netting, the netting (I used the supplied bungee cords...added separate lines to each to attach them to their respective tree) well above the body and the body a comfortable sitting distance from the ground.

I tied one side of the tarp closer to the ground to block the wind and used sticks to create a nice porch on the other side like I always do...no problems finding sticks on the ground in the Great Northwoods. I tied the foot ends of the tarp out using reflective lines so it was easy to find in the dark.

I closed up the Weathershield around 3am and that really worked well against the cold...it was 10 degrees warmer in the hammock than it was outside according to my thermometer...I left it open a tad to vent...

I added a mesh pocket on elastic lines to an inside ridgeline...this worked very nicely to hold my glasses and gave me something to attach my ever-present water bottle (I have no saliva glands so much always have water with me)..

This was my first night in the Clark so I expect to fine tune things as I go but I must say the Clark more than met my expectations...

Pictures are on Webshots:
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561328750gZWcWO

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    nice pictures. i always have thought the clark was a nice looking, very complete set up.
    the clark w/ it's weather shield, no doubt, was a large part of the inspiration for the silnylon storage end covers i use & also for the way i plan to combine those end covers w/ a travel pod in the middle, ending up w/ something that looks a lot like the clark weather shield.

sounds like you had a pleasant night except for the feet. i would have been tempted to reach over to my stove & boil a pot of water to put into an extra water bottle. then after putting it into a sock, put it in the sleeping bag against my feet.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Do you leave the bug net zipped up with the weather shield?

I tried just leaving it loose in the foot end of the hammock but it got tangled up in my feet - then I tried stuffing it into a mesh sack and pulling the draw cord tight enough to cause it to hang, but that pulled down on the foot end cover because of the concentrated weight. My next thought was to have some cloth ties sewn into the cover of the foot end so i could roll it up and tie it out of the way - that would at least split the weight problem between both sides of the foot end cover.

BTW - for those of you who are unfamilar with the clark - it has sleeves on the outside of the cover on the foot end into which you can stuff the weather shield or the weather shield + the bug net when not using them, but the way it is designed, you cannot stuff the bug net into the sleeves and still use the weather shield.
    Last edited by nogods; 11-07-2007 at 09:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice hang!

Is that tarp half as complicated as it looks? These Clarks are starting to grow on me a little, but that tarp looks like a lot of work to set-up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Nice hang!

Is that tarp half as complicated as it looks? These Clarks are starting to grow on me a little, but that tarp looks like a lot of work to set-up.
    Nope - you can set it up as quickly as any tarp, you just have a few more options if you want to use them. But the same could be said of any tarp with more than 4 corner tie outs available.

If, however, you decide to attach the tarp to the hammock the way it was designed, then you need to be careful about the tension between the foot end and the hammock - lots of broken clips result from that - after breaking my first clip i solved the problem by replacing the attachment supplied attachment cord with a 1/8 bungie cord looped twice and tied with a taut line hitch - that way I can adjust the tension if needed after I'm in the hammock.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    nogods...I didn't even try to zip up the weathershield without the netting...I zipped both up...I might later consider something to trap the netting at the foot end of the hammock but, for now, when it's really cold it will help keep condensation from dripping on me...the zippers operate so smoothly that I didn't find it a problem to unzip both to exit the hammock...

By the way, I did heat up some drinking water at 2am to warm myself up...I had handwarmers I could have used but, I was lazy...I had plenty of insulation on my feet and they should never have got cold...it was obviously poor circulation caused by dehydration...I had Smartwool socks and Nunatak down booties on them...that combo has kept me warm in winter so drinking warm water seemed like a good idea...and, that way I got to see a beautiful, still night...

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Nice Pictures and your love for the Clark shows

I am interested in the Clark also. It seems it is better suited for using it without the bug net. How is the Clark for cold weather? Is the bottom able to hold insulation? How would it do at say 25 F?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    The temperatures around here have not dipped below 40 on any nights that I was testing the clark so I haven't had a chance to give it a good cold weather test.

The Storage pockets will hold a lot of clothing or anything else you might want to stuff in there for insulation. I took some poly insulation i bought at walmart and filled up ziplock bags then stuffed them into the pockets. Although the temps that night got down only into the 40's, they were providing a lot of insulation. But I couldn't find a way to keep them compressed for packing. I'm now thinking that a 2 baffle chamber made of 1.1 breathable sylnylon or ripstop and filled with down might work better because all six of them should stuff into a small compresion sack. You would still need a pad because of the space between the pockets, so a full-blown underquilt might make sense.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I did 19-F last night in a 0-F bag with out anything eles. I had on a lite weight polo pro top and bottom on and smart wool socks and a fleece stocking cap. was toasty most of the time I found that on the left and right of my hip's that they were cool not enough to warrant coming inside or getting something to fix the problem. I used the bug sheild and the outer weather sheild and useing a fluke thermometer I took temp's of 19 degree's at tree and 42 degree in side hammock sealed up and inside the bag was 81 degree's at first check then at first pea break i checked it again before I opened it and it was down 72 inside. If I can find a couple of batteries I am going to take more messurements tonight although it's not suppose to be as cold. I am going to use a space blanket right under sleeping bag tonight.

UPDATE: Well I used space blanket last night layed directly under my sleeping bag and that was not a smart move as it puddled up with what im going to guess was condensation from under my body. sleeping bag was damp in place's and very wet in others. I stayed warm throughout the night and this morning but I found bag getting wet would worrie me if It really got cold out side but at 24-F it did not cause in problems.

Tonight I am going to try a wool blanket under the bag and see where that will take me it does not have any compression at all so I wonder how it will work.

But to answer some questions about the Clark hammock They are and can be used as a four season hammock. There are several people that are useing them in that way.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Thanks for the information. Sounds like the Clark and the HH are really very much alike when it comes to cold weather. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast