Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS

Pad for just in case??

I was blessed to get a great deal on a used 4 season set of JRB quilts. I have one of the GG 1/4 inch wide pads. I'm about to buy a frameless pack, and would like to change to the Nitelite 3/4 or torso because they work much better (versus not at all) in the sleeve to provide support for the pack.

If positioned correctly can a regular width pad eliminate the cold spots I might incur on a cold night where I only brought the 3 season set up? If so, can I get away with the torso length, or do I need the 3/4?

Any additional input would be appreciated (as always)!

you can always "make due" with whatever is available. personally as long as my torso is warm and i have good socks on my feet do not get cold so i like the 3/4 length pads.

Have you considered a Speer SPE? Will take your 3/4 length pad and the wings on the sides will give you the added width for the hammock. I use it and have been happy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lyleb View Post
    Have you considered a Speer SPE? Will take your 3/4 length pad and the wings on the sides will give you the added width for the hammock. I use it and have been happy so far.
    i've never needed more width. however i am looking into making a quilt to use alone or in combination for colder temps.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sure it would help. When I use an underquilt, I don't think I've ever had a cold spot on my shoulders or the sides of my hips...there's always good contact there with the underquilt. Cold spots from the underquilt always come under my butt from compressing the insulation when the quilt is too tight, or under my legs when the quilt isn't hung right or isn't tight enough. In either case, a pad would help.

I've been carrying a torso pad recently - works as a sit pad during the day, and I use it for leg insulation at night b/c my insulation hammock only covers down to my legs. Multi-use on the pad plus saved weight on the insulated portion. Win-win. Plus I can go to ground if I'm about to die (and probably under no other circumstances ), it helps with pack support, I can strap it outside of my pack if I have extra food, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts