What is that on the edge of the Stormcrow underquilt?

I was looking around at some of the underquilts from Stormcrow...etc and noticed a black edging on the edge of the UQ.
    What is that material? Grosgrain? Double fold bias tape?
    I am trying to plan out some of my own diy gear andlooking for ideas.
    Here is the link:
    http://hammockgear.com/cart/index.ph...&products_id=7

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is the channel for the suspension.......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Not sure if his is grosgrain, but that's what I used for my channel. Worked great after you iron it in half.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If he doesn't see this thread, send stormcrow a PM. I'm sure he would be happy to help you out. That's the kind of guy he is.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

I was thinking it was grosgrain.
    So you can iron the stuff in half prior to sewing it onto a finished/hemmed seam?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

What IS that stuff....

Hi everyone. That stuff on the edges is in fact grosgrain. I am currently using 1.5" grosgrain for the channels to allow for easy movement of the quilt along the shock cord. Of course it is doubled over and becomes a 3/4" width edge. I might get away with using a smaller grosgrain but I have worked with the 1.5" for a while and really like it. It might add a fraction of an oz to the quilt but, oh well. FYI the corners of the quilts use 1" grosgrain.

I AM looking to get away from the grosgrain altogether but I am still tweaking the new design. It may lighten things up a little. The new, lighter, 20 Denier fabric I will be offering very soon might help a little as well... sshhh

As far as working with the grosgrain. I am still doing it old school. I just bury the needle in the work, hold the grosgrain about 12" or so away from the needle, and feed it in. No ironing or pinning. Takes too long. Back when i started, I could not fathom how anyone could stitch the top and it not be all over the place on the part of the ribbon that was folded underneath. Now, it just works right every time.

I plan to get some attachments for my Juki that can handle the Grosgrain ribbon soon. This will speed things up a little. I have tried a couple but they not made well and were not really up to the job. I have to send some materials to a place where they will actually build the attachment.

Sorry if my rambling got too far away from the OP question....I am a little loopy right now from lack of sleep There are some hangs coming up in the next month or so that I really want to get to (read" NEED TO ESCAPE).

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well Adam ... I know one hang that would be happy to see you able to make it!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Adam, I think you are right to use 1.5" grosgrain.

If you make the tunnels too small you risk binding as they compress. REI sells some handy net stuffsacks, but they make the tunnels too tight and it is sometimes near impossible to cinch things up.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hi everyone. That stuff on the edges is in fact grosgrain. I am currently using 1.5" grosgrain for the channels to allow for easy movement of the quilt along the shock cord. Of course it is doubled over and becomes a 3/4" width edge. I might get away with using a smaller grosgrain but I have worked with the 1.5" for a while and really like it. It might add a fraction of an oz to the quilt but, oh well. FYI the corners of the quilts use 1" grosgrain.

I AM looking to get away from the grosgrain altogether but I am still tweaking the new design. It may lighten things up a little. The new, lighter, 20 Denier fabric I will be offering very soon might help a little as well... sshhh

As far as working with the grosgrain. I am still doing it old school. I just bury the needle in the work, hold the grosgrain about 12" or so away from the needle, and feed it in. No ironing or pinning. Takes too long. Back when i started, I could not fathom how anyone could stitch the top and it not be all over the place on the part of the ribbon that was folded underneath. Now, it just works right every time.

I plan to get some attachments for my Juki that can handle the Grosgrain ribbon soon. This will speed things up a little. I have tried a couple but they not made well and were not really up to the job. I have to send some materials to a place where they will actually build the attachment.

Sorry if my rambling got too far away from the OP question....I am a little loopy right now from lack of sleep There are some hangs coming up in the next month or so that I really want to get to (read" NEED TO ESCAPE).

~Stormcrow
    i do the same thing adam...just fold and feed
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts