Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5'-6"---150 lbs--newbie--lightweight

Hi,
    My name is Bob, I live in the Sacramento, Ca. area and I recently bought a used Clark Jungle Hammock (without doing any research before hand). I set it up in the back yard and it's very comfortable but I made the assumption that all hammocks were lightweight. It's not, so I'm probably going to resell it and get a lightweight model. I have done a bit of reading here and was looking at the warrbonnet traveler because it's my understanding that the traveler is the same as the blackbird but if it's not buggy you can leave the net off? Anyway what's making me hesitate on the sale is the size of the thing. Website says that it will handle a person up to 6'-8". That seems like a lot of unnecessary material/weight for someone my size. So I thought I ask for suggestions from the forum based on my size and target of a good compromise between weight and comfort? Maybe the extra material isn't a big deal and I'll just get the WB? Any thoughts about the "traveler" VS the "Blackbird" Other suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Bob

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    You will get a very flat lay with the WB. My wife, who is a little shorter than you, can lay perfectly flat in my WBBB. I would suggest looking at Whoopie slings if you are a gram counter. The stock webbing suspension is very heavy and bulky.

--louis

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by louisfb View Post
    You will get a very flat lay with the WB. My wife, who is a little shorter than you, can lay perfectly flat in my WBBB. I would suggest looking at Whoopie slings if you are a gram counter. The stock webbing suspension is very heavy and bulky.

--louis
    Contrare Moofrare (sic)

See my suspension write up for evidence.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Welcome Bob! I live in San Rafael, Ca. You can't go wrong with either blackbird or traveler. At your weight you could get by with lighter weight fabric like the traveler in single layer 1.1 ripstop. I have two of them in 1.7 and 1.1 single.

Length of the hammock might have more to do with comfort. If you move around a lot like I do, a longer/wider hammock would be good. fact is if you stick with this crazy recreation of ours you will more than likely try/own more than one hammock. Start off with the traveler and see if you like it then go from there. Good luck and have fun!

S
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 09-22-2012 at 17:32. Reason: sp

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    An important point: The traveller does not come with a bugnet...

Welcome to the addiction!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    A general rule of thumb for hammock length is your height plus 4' for comfort. Add another foot for dream boat comfort. That being said, many are happy with shorter hammocks because they are saving weight.

Personally, I subscribe to going with the extra foot in length and save weight by going only 4-1/2' wide. But all that seems to be a very personal thing.

Being as light as you are (you'll find a lot if envy here) you can really save a lot of weight by using a single layer of 1.1 oz/sy fabric. The same size hammock as your Clark would weigh less than half of the Clark.

Since you named Warbonnet, I should point out that the Blackbird and Traveler are two very different hammocks. It does sound like you are looking for something like the Traveler. It is a straightforward, no frills hammock with a great reputation. The Blackbird is an engineering marvel with extra footbox, fancy shelves, etc., but at a weight penalty.

Keep reading the forum and check the "outing & trip planning" section for a group event in your area. You can try out all sorts of hammocks!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Keep reading, timberhack. I did not study enough before starting to buy things.

That suspension article by mugs is a good example of valuable advice here, for instance. Great site, wonderful people here.

Mike

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Which model Clark did you buy?

The 8' now-discontinued UL weighs in at about 21oz, including its zippered bug net with entry /exit on both sides.

At your / our size and weight, a thinner but necessarily more stretchy nylon jungle hammock can save weight from the thinner fabric, lighter zippers, and absent exterior pockets and stuff sack and hoods for the ends. (Clark's hoods reduce the necessary length of the tarp, an indirect weight saving.)

But, directly, about 7 ounces can be saved unless you get quite thin in fabric 1.1 oz, which is surely strong enough, but not so durable, and an entirely different feel.

Hope you have gotten rid of the weight and bulk of the stock suspension. 5-6 extra ounces by weight and closer to a pint in volume.

I mentioned that UL because with fewer pockets, it does, for me, qualitatively cross over a perceptual threshold into being a light hammock. I know heavier from full-featured Clarks; and lighter from a bug-netless Nano 7.

I think It's the North American model. It seems to be a real Cadillac but unless I'm car camping I don't see using anything that heavy.

Thanks everyone...

I'm kind of leaning towards getting a Blackbird. I guess I'll have to think about that durability thing with the lighter 1.1 vs the 1.7

Any consensus on the suspension system?

Thanks,
    Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast