Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Therma rest sit pad as insulation

Ok so I was reading a thread that kayakkarl started about UQ and noticed that both shug and some one else mentioned they use a therma rest inflatable sit pad in winter to suplement their partial UQ. The therma rest inflatable pad I have is open cell foam and I was under the impression that only ccf works as insulation. I was wondering if any one had any experience before I tried this. My sit pad packs much smaller then any ccf I have. I know that ocf absorbes water and ccf does not but how does it work as insulation.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I currently use a full thermarest pad for insulation (until my crowsnest arrives). Other than shifting off in the middle of the night every now and then, it works great for me.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I have a Thermarest Prolite and it's warm. I just got a sit pad yesterday, so your post is timely. I think it'd be a tad warm, maybe use under any cold spot that comes up in middle night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Ok so I was reading a thread that kayakkarl started about UQ and noticed that both shug and some one else mentioned they use a therma rest inflatable sit pad in winter to suplement their partial UQ. The therma rest inflatable pad I have is open cell foam and I was under the impression that only ccf works as insulation. I was wondering if any one had any experience before I tried this. My sit pad packs much smaller then any ccf I have. I know that ocf absorbes water and ccf does not but how does it work as insulation.
    OCF by itself won't work worth a hoot as insulation, unless you can hang it under the hammock in a manner where it will not be compressed, such as with the HH Super Shelter OCF pad. Plus, it would be to water as a sponge is.

But OCF used inside a sealed up Thermarest coated nylon shell ( or whatever) can not compress, unless you start letting air out in varying degrees. Plus, the shells are at least somewhat waterproof. So OCF used this way insulates quite well indeed.

Does your TR sit pad have some type of shell which contains the OCF and whatever air is trapped in there when you close the valve? If so, it should work very well indeed, as an insulator.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

But OCF used inside a sealed up Thermarest coated nylon shell ( or whatever) can not compress, unless you start letting air out in varying degrees. Plus, the shells are at least somewhat waterproof. So OCF used this way insulates quite well indeed.

Does your TR sit pad have some type of shell which contains the OCF and whatever air is trapped in there when you close the valve? If so, it should work very well indeed, as an insulator.
    Yes that's exactly what it is an inflatable sit pad in a nylon shell. It has the twist valvue that inflates the pad and you can close it to keep it inflated. Shug shows one on his most recent video glad to hear it works well though packs much smaller then ccf.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    But if you use it under your feet, wouldn't it need to be inflated as much as possible (making it hard) to keep your heels from locally compressing the open cell foam insulation)? I imagine a down-filled inflatable pad would have the same problem. Anybody have some real-world experience to share?

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    I throw my Thermarest sit pad in the foot box of my sleeping bag, and I don't find that it needs to be fully inflated. Me feet are lighter than me butt. This is good for me with my 3 season yeti into the high 20s (I'm a cold sleeper), at which point I can zip up my bag to my thighs when they start to get cold.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    That's what I use as a footpad after I saw shugs video. It works great.

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    I take a therm a rest x-lite small with me in addition to my UQ on long trips. I have used for my feet, legs and or butt when a storm blew through and temps dropped suddenly at night. I just inflate 1/2 and it is easier to manage and keps me warm and cozy.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I use an REI sit pad under my knees for calf ridge relief. Works great as a dual purpose item.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast