Thread: Help please

Help please

OK so I just bought my first hammock. I went on the cheap and bought a grandtrunk ultralight... 20 bucks online. Does anyone have any suggestions on reconfiguring the hanging set up? I would imagine for the price it comes with a bare bones setup for connection to a tree. I am still trying to decipher the lingo on here. WOuld I be better off with tree straps? I am going to make a DIY tarp system. I am trying to dip my toe in the water with hammock camping and I didnt want to go nuts with a 300+ system...just yet
    thanks-Brett

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I am also new to hanging, but I just set up my custom suspension in few hours for under $12. Weighs in at a couple ounces. See some details here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22641

I spent several weeks lurking over suspension. What helped me most was watching GrizzlyAdams YouTube posts on suspension (4 vidoes totalling about 35 minutes). Just look up "Professor Hammock suspension" on YouTube and you will find it. That really gave me some direction.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Please use tree straps. It's important when hanging to use protection for the tree. A good source for straps that won't stretch are either the Harbor freight ones if you have basic sewing skills or http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/ The hammock will come with rope and hooks already attached. You don't "need" anything else.

If your looking to hike you probably want to shave weight. First thing to replace would be the s hooks. Either use a soft shackle, dutch clips, or a carabiner. I recently got my first pair of dutch clips and I'm a convert.

The next thing is the rope. I'm a huge fan of whoopie slings. For weight, adjustability, ease of use, small size to pack. At the link above to arrowhead you can get premade ones from amsteel or dynaglide. The amsteel is crazy strong, the dynaglide is crazy light. The best source for amsteel to make your own is probably Redden Marine.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers

Welcome!

welcome to HF, Brett!

I started out watching as many of the videos I could to get a real sense of how it all worked. I'm more of a visual learner, so that is how i approached it. Shug has some good videos to introduce you to hammocking, including suspension. If you are a DIYer, you can make your own gear really inexpensively. With a little time, and patience, you can have a full set up in no time.

I'm sure others will have a ton of advise, but I prefer tree huggers (webbing) because it is gentler on the trees and there is more surface area that rope, and thus more friction.

Good luck!!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    If its a gathered end hammock I would say you could go with 7/64 or 1/8 in Amsteel Whoopie Slings and the 1" tree straps in the above post and use a marline spike hitch and toggle for connecting the two. You can buy whoopies from a few forum members or make your own easily by following a simple tutorial. This systems seems to work well. An additional must have for me is a structural ridge line.

The structural ridge line will allow you to have consistent sag. That is one of the major factors in comfort.

The whoopies will allow easy adjustment with only one knot. It seems to be the fad at the moment and for me is the best compromise in convene and overall functionality.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    Please use tree straps. It's important when hanging to use protection for the tree. A good source for straps that won't stretch are either the Harbor freight ones if you have basic sewing skills or http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/ The hammock will come with rope and hooks already attached. You don't "need" anything else.
    Strapworks also is a very inexpensive and customizable(!) option
    KM (satisfied customer, not a company shill)

• + New Posts