Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

speer hammock's new winter tarp

here's a write up by dave, the designer of the new winter tarp being offered by speer hammocks.

ed said the updated speer hammock web site should be live tonight.

The WinterTarp is the results of several generations of a class of tarps that I call hammock tarptents. It is an 11 foot long by 10 foot wide silnylon tarp with catenary curves along each of its ten edges and four catenary darts. The basic concept is to provide a taut tarp when pitched high for rain protection and a taut tarp when pitched low for better wind protection as a hammock tarptent. Of course there are other basic requirements as well such as simplicity and functionality. In cold weather, simplicity and functionality are paramount as even the simplest of chores can become difficult when you are tired or cold and your equipment needs to do what you expect it to do without a lot of adjustments or readjustments. One other feature is that it has a steep pitch when used as a hammock tarptent to encourage any snow to slide off the tarp rather than accumulate and cause problems with stretching and sagging.

When pitched high for rain protection in a traditional A-frame configuration the WinterTarp has a surprisingly taut pitch for such a large silnylon tarp due to the innovative use of catenary darts at strategic points on the tarp and the catenary curves along its edges. It has two ridgeline tie outs and four tie outs on each side for a total of ten tie outs. The center pair of tie outs on each side are for the main body of the tarp and the corner tie outs can be pitched a number of different ways. The corner tie outs can be pitched to extend the tarp as a normal flat tarp or they can be angled inward. The unique catenary darts allow for a taut pitch over a significant range of angles for the corner tie outs.

When pitched low and the end flaps closed off, or partially closed off, it becomes a tarptent for a hammock. Most of the time you will only want it partially closed off as that is the best compromise for most winter conditions when camping with a hammock. With the ends partially close off there is more inside volume, it is easier to exit and enter, and the wind can't hit you unless it blows through the tree you are tied off to. This is great improvement over tarps that don't offer this type of coverage in cool weather where exposure to wind can be a problem. The approach on the WinterTarp tent is to use overlapping flaps for doors to close or partially close off the ends and to not have the tarp all the way to the ground, but very near the ground. This blocks the wind from having a direct path to the hammock as long as you pitch your hammock up off the ground and up inside the tarp, and still provides adequate ventilation for when the wind isn't blowing. Remember that conditions often change during the course of the night where the wind sometimes is blowing and sometimes it isn't. When the wind is blowing ventilation isn't an issue but when it isn't blowing it is an issue and it can become a big issue real fast in winter conditions.

Of course each person is free to experiment and find their own favorite WinterTarp configuration for the conditions they encounter. I think people will appreciate the simplicity and functionality of the WinterTarp.

Dave Womble
    aka Youngblood 2000
    Designer of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender, the SnugFit Underquilt, and the WinterTarp
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-08-2007 at 20:47. Reason: formatted text
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    here's a little more info from Ed Speer.

Thanks for your interest in our new WinterTarp. It's so new, it's not even yet on the website-we're hoping to get an updated website up later this week. We are now making the WinterTarp & have a few in stock. The price is $119 for the tarp itself & $17 for the accessory kit that includes a silnylon stuff sack & 10 NoTangle GuideLines.

The WinterTarp is 10'x11', catenary cut, silnylon, w/ 8 tie outs plus the two ridgeline ties. Two 'door' panels on each end can be left open or closed as much as needed to block wind or rain. While it was only 37F last night, it was very windy & I was glad I had the WinterTarp.
    if you ask me, that's not a bad price for a tarp that large, well thought out & with the opportunity for so many variations in weather.
    i may just buy one instead of making another.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-08-2007 at 20:48. Reason: formatted text
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Now that sounds like something I might invest in - looking forward to the pics. but, ten sides and ten tieouts doesn't sound that "simple" to me, however it does sound like a well designed tarp for fighting winter wind chill.

In fact, i bet it would take longer to set up with all ten tie outs than it would to edit the speer web pages and add pics for the tarp
    Last edited by nogods; 11-07-2007 at 20:05.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    here's a little more info from Ed Speer.

Thanks for your interest in our new WinterTarp. It's
    so new, it's not even
    yet on the website-we're hoping to get an updated
    website up later this
    week. We are now making the WinterTarp & have a few
    in stock. The price is
    $119 for the tarp itself & $17 for the accessory kit
    that includes a
    silnylon stuff sack & 10 NoTangle GuideLines.

The WinterTarp is 10'x11', catenary cut, silnylon, w/
    8 tie outs plus the
    two ridgeline ties. Two 'door' panels on each end can
    be left open or
    closed as much as needed to block wind or rain. While
    it was only 37F last
    night, it was very windy & I was glad I had the
    WinterTarp.

if you ask me, that's not a bad price for a tarp that large, well thought out & with the opportunity for so many variations in weather.
    i may just buy one instead of making another.
    When you consider your time to make it I am sure it would cost a lot more than buying it. If you screw up you have to fix it. If Ed messes up he will stand behind his product.
    Last edited by Ewker; 11-07-2007 at 21:45.

Images
    just saw the new speer web page with the new winter tarp - looks great - i'm going to order one...but..why is it white? i would think that a darker color would be prefered in winter to absorb as much heat as possible..or am i wrong about that....is it white to reflect heat and reduce condensation? Or is it white to hide my camo hammock from the rescue crews looking for me after the blizzard strands me on the mountain side?
    Last edited by nogods; 11-07-2007 at 21:43.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Any opinions about the difference between this tarp and the new JRB cat tarp besides color options?
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...010%20Tarp.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Any opinions about the difference between this tarp and the new JRB cat tarp besides color options?
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...010%20Tarp.htm
    as to price - the speer might be $15 more, but if you were going to buy the book anyways, then it is less expensive, unless the jrb includes a stuff sack....

Aside from that it appears that the speer is available today and the JRB is going to be available. You can "pre-order" the JRB, but after the iphone pricing fiasco and my experiences pre-ordering madden 2007, I'm not excited anymore about sending my money to someone for somthing they are going to make and ship to me at an undetermined date in the future. Remember the kids standing in line for 3 days to get a playstaion 3? today i can order one from a local seller and have it delivered for free to my house.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    just saw the new speer web page with the new winter tarp - looks great - i'm going to order one...but..why is it white? i would think that a darker color would be prefered in winter to absorb as much heat as possible..or am i wrong about that....is it white to reflect heat and reduce condensation? Or is it white to hide my camo hammock from the rescue crews looking for me after the blizzard strands me on the mountain side?
    Surely it's gray or something and not white. The white would go over well in Canada though.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

its annoying the text like that, but anyway, sounds good.

Images
    FF. if you look at the drawings, you'll see the speer 8X10 cat cut and the jrb 10X11 are the same design just different dimensions.
    The winter tarp has quite a different shape to it to let you do all those cool configurations.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast