Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle

Hammock pros and cons

Hi there.

I am looking at getting my first hammock, and have got a few on the RADAR....

Looking at the
    -HH side zip Explorer deluxe asym with the hex tarp. Nice price with the included tarp.
    -WB BB. I like the shelf feature, and the double bottom. Not sure about which fabric weight yet. $180, plus ya gotta get a tarp. (tarp questions later...)
    -Bear Mountain Bridge. Neat design, not sure about the bars. $180 + tarp
    - Clark UL or NX 150. The ultra light is more affordable than the other Clarks, but the 150 has the weatherproof cover - a cool feature for Canada.

Y'all have the experience I need to make an informed decision. I also realize there is a lot of personal preference when buying any kit, but thought some of you'd have some points for or against some of these...

I hate buying something, and then twenty people say, "Oh, you should have asked me about that. I had one and it was really flimsy" or some such...

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry if this is an old rehash of previous posts.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Not sure you can go wrong with any of those set ups. I think experience will guide you progression as it has many here. I started with the Hennessy and I finally migrated to simple end-fed hammocks like ENO and Grand Trunk. Even do-it-yourself hammocks are great. There may even be some HF member close by who could let you test drive a hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Go with your gut .... one has got to be tuggin'!

All good solid choices though........
    When I finally bought one after making my own DIYs a while .... it was tough to choose.
    So the Warbonnet BlackBird called me. It is a first string hammock for me.
    A happy hammock ending.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you can; try to attend a group hang where you can see and try some different hammocks and tarp set ups. Also ask if there is anyone close by who has a hammock you can check out.

Like Shug; I recommend the Blackbird
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy The Jet View Post
    Looking at the
    -HH side zip Explorer deluxe asym with the hex tarp. Nice price with the included tarp.
    -WB BB. I like the shelf feature, and the double bottom. Not sure about which fabric weight yet. $180, plus ya gotta get a tarp. (tarp questions later...)
    Welcome Mountie, good to have another lawman here. Well, deja vu all over again for me. Look at the price of the WBBB Double Layer ($175 actual $186 to my house for the standard BB) and then the HH double with standard tarp ($300). If you buy the WB and a HH Hex Tarp you are in at under $250. Any hammock you buy (including the Clark 150) will need insulation at some temp, determined by your metabolism. The Clark NX 250 (what I was considering) put that price tag well over $600. That is a bunch of extra goodies for the WBBB. That was what I came to after my research...for what it's worth.

Your journey is your own and the set up you buy will be the right one for you. I don't really have a dog in this brand hunt. Enjoy your research...I sure am mine.

If you plan to spend that much money, do yourself a favor and don't ever make a hammock yourself. You'll end up feeling like a fool (or is that tool) for spending nearly 10 times what superior home made unit will cost.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Shug, I'm with ya so far on everything but potted meat.

I'm leaning toward the WBBB, and would love a winter tarp like yours, but I ain't got the patience to add tie-outs. I do like the way the BB looks on your videos.

Weedeater64, I know you're right, but since moving to the Northwest Territories, I look forward to getting things in the mail so much more... A little piece of the outside world in a box. We are on a road now, but it's still darn isolated. I will try my hand at making one or two down the road, but not just now.

I would love to get to a hang, but that's not in the cards, at least until spring. No way I'm waiting that long

Law Dawg, thanks for the welcome!! Glad to be here. I've been scouting the UQ and TQ pages, and have got most of that riddle sorted out. I have a couple nice and light sleeping bags from Mountain Equipment Co-op, and can use them together, or separately to adjust for temps, until my darling wife lets me order a TQ. The UQ will eventually be a either a Yeti or a full length from JRB. Or more likely, both.. :P
    Until I get an UQ, I'll be using CCF, and possibly my 25" x2" full length thermarest (think it was called a Camp Rest.
    Not too concerned with weight right now since most travel is done by boat, quad, or snowmobile up here. And if I do walk, I'll be hauling a pulk or toboggan.
    We are planning on moving to the East Coast next summer (hope, hope), and will need to shed extra weight then, 'cuz it'll be all backpacking there.

Thanks for all of the info. This is exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping to hear.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I love the BMBH, I think it's the limo of hammocks. Just can't beat the flat lay. I have issues with the triglides, and you have to put some more thought into pitching your tarp for the spreader bars not to rub up against it, but...

I just bought a cheap gathered end hammock (ENO SN) to play with, but I haven't spent the night in it yet. If my back doesn't crumble from being U-shaped all night, it might be my lightweight option later on.

But like I said, I vote BMBH.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

A lot depends on what you looking for

Every model has its proponents and I think the best approach to this decision is to determine what type of hiker you are.

I am a "relative" pack mule compared to most here. I bring tons of items that many on this board would consider luxury items.

Accordingly, I choose a bridge design because I knew the weight penalty of the bridge design over the gathered end designs was a low prioirty. AND I was convinced that the bridge design would be more comfortable for me.

I really love my JRB BMB.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    <<If my back doesn't crumble from being U-shaped all night, it might be my lightweight option later on.>>

Joz: From what I've seen and read, the Clarks are more banana-like, but in just about any other hammock you should be able to lie on the diagonal until you find the sweet spot. You should not be sleeping in a U-shape.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast