Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RE Tree Huggers

RE Tree Huggers

I noticed this year thru hiking with a Hennessy Hammock that the tree huggers lasted about 45 nights before wearing thru. I milked one a little too long, and luckily it broke before I was completely in it. I then went to not using them and found this to be better in the end as it saved me some unneeded weight. Anyone out there take any bad spills when the tree huggers give up the ghost?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    congratulations on your thru EL MONSTRO! was it the AT or another?

i've herd others talking about some of the HH tree huggers wearing out way sooner than they should. there's another thread here somewhere talking about it.

but i wouldn't be in the habit of using rope instead of some type of webbing on the trees. it may not hurt some trees & it may not have any long term affect on most others, but i know it can do a number on some tree barks.

if we don't encourage hammockers to use webbing on the trees, i believe it will work against us in the long run.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

use webbing despite the weight. its important for the future of hammock hanging imo.

if the webbing is wearing through at the attachment of the rope then maybe we should be requesting that they have D-rings in the ends or other changes to the suspension layout to minimize wear on them

Images
    I like a permanent rope attachment to the webbing, then I can make the adjustments at the hammock end using something more interesting... whether it be knots, or rings, or hooks...
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    congratulations on the thru. I don't have tree huggers and have only ever glanced at my buddy's set a couple times and I had read a little of another thread talking about them wearing out, what I was wondering (if the failure was at the loop)is do you have the rope tied off to the loop or going through the loop? I've always had mine tied off with a quick release knot at the loop in my original webbing set and it's got about 100 hangs on it now with no sign of wear just looks like it needs ironed flat again... a pic of the webbing set I just made to fix this is in my gallery and I believe on a thread about taughtline hitch vs. nietize
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

What is with these Tree Huggers. The ones I bought 3 years ago are just as strong as the first time I used them. Are they making them out of some cheaper material now?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    What is with these Tree Huggers. The ones I bought 3 years ago are just as strong as the first time I used them. Are they making them out of some cheaper material now?
    made over seas... they probably get there stuff (& there labor) from different places at different times.
    some are probably fine, some probably are not<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    i suspect it's a combo of a covered line (line with poly sheath, which causes alot more friction than uncovered spectra or vectran)) and a knot that slips a little when weighted before tightening down all the way. a high friction line sliding through the loops a bit when weighted (even if only an inch or less) has a lot of cutting power.

Reality

I have experienced excellent customer service from Hennessy Hammocks and will even go stealth camping tomorrow night enjoying a comfy sleep within one of their (hopefully American or Canadian manufactured ) hammocks. It does appear, lately, that their hammocks and tree huggers might be made in China. Maybe this is why the quality is somewhat deteriorating.

Hennessy has a factory set up in a small rural town here in the South Island of New Zealand. He spends the northern Winter here.
    Last edited by Nudgeworth; 11-10-2007 at 22:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast