Thread: Memory foam

Memory foam

Has anybody tried the memory foam/egg crate pads from Wally World for a pad. Seems it would be softer but not sure how it would work insualtion wise. Seems like it would breath better?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It would probably be war enough if you got one thick enough to support your weight. We have a MF matress that if I pull the blanket up when I leave bed in the morning it will still be warm for quite a while. The down side it that is is very heavy and once out of the plastic bag it decompresses into a very large size. Our mattress came packed down to 3 inches tall maybe and lofted to 12, and weighs over 100 pounds, same story on the MF pillows I have tried, they tend to be heavy. Not sure how big the pads would be but suspect they will be more bulk and weight than would be easy to pack.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It will compress if you have it under you. And that means less r-value
    CCF does not compress much due to its stiff design.

Memory foam can be sculpted/darted and made to fit the exterior of the hammock, and suspended from the outside. Take into consideration memory foam may absorb water.
    And may be subject to tearing/ripping if snagged.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Actual memory foam would be way too heavy - it's somewhere around 5 lbs/cubic foot as I recall.
    Mike

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    Actual memory foam would be way too heavy - it's somewhere around 5 lbs/cubic foot as I recall.
    I believe you are correct on that density for memory foam. If you could get some open cell polyurethane foam similar to the Hennessy Supershelter underpad, it should work as long as you had an appropriate covering for it.

Cheers

Brian

I am not worried about weight. The $20 1.5 inch memory foam pad at Wally World weighs probably 6lbs. My question is more allong the lines of insualtion. Would it provide insualtion needed?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    This thread is old, but one of the concerns was that the foam got hard when it was cold... there has been some discussion in the past (if you search on "memory foam" you'll find them) and it seems for one reason or another it was not the best solution overall. BUT ymmv.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Cabela's sells something like that. It's a thin closed cell foam pad, 1/4" or so, glued to a 2.5" open cell foam pad. The whole thing is then enclosed in a water resistant bag/case (or they have a version without the case). The side with the ccf goes down, and provides insulation, and the open cell/egg crate style foam provides cushioning, and the cover helps protect it from getting wet. It's big, and heavy, but really comfy for tent or car camping. Not sure about long term use and how it holds up, but I slept on one that a buddy had, on a wooden tent platform, and I didn't feel the hard ground.

If you're not worried about weight or size, you could always get one of the ones at WM you're talking about, and use some foam adhesive to stick it to a thin layer of CCF or Volara foam - or even get the Volara foam that has the adhesive layer made for sticking it down to pojer tables or the like. But at that point, you're in the ballpark price wise of getting one of the premade basic ones from Cabela's. *shrug* YMMV

As far as using it in a hammock, it seems like it would be a lot of weight and bulk, for very little benefit. And if you add the layer of CCF like above, then it starts to get redundant.

• + New Posts