Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Priority list

Times are tight, most everyone here would agree. I am new to hammocking, and I need to work on a priority list for getting myself equipped. I camp at least once a month, but will be backpacking only in early December and mid January (in the immediate future), where I expect temps to be to be down to mid 30s and mid 20s respectively.

I have a hammock and bug net (GT Skeeter Beeter Pro, $65 with shipping).
    I have good suspension (DIY straps and whoopies with toggles, $12)

I have a borrowed Noah 12 tarp, but I need to get this back to the owner soon.

I have a good 20° down mummy bag (2 lbs) with foot box, which I could temporarily rig as either UQ or TQ. I also have access to several elcheapo 45/50° bags (more than 2 lbs each).

I have pads, both foam and inflatable which I could use, but that adds significant weight for the short term.

OK, I need some help with a priority list of what to get. I realize that everyone will have different opinions here, so please offer a rationale for your list.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Tarp first, obviously.

After that, it's just what you're willing to carry. Everything you already have could be used effectively to stay warm, but quilts will be more comfortable, pack smaller, and be lighter. If it were me, I'd aim for an underquilt first thing after the tarp. Sleeping bags don't make bad top quilts in a pinch. Once you've got the UQ of your dreams in place, you can start saving pennies for the top quilt.

After that comes the 'collecting' phase. Something best avoided if you plan to ever retire.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Agree with Cannibal. Your tarp is your shelter, it's the most important piece of gear you carry.

After that, insulation in whatever order you choose. The CCF pads you already have will work. They are normally not heavy, just bulky.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Keep in mind, that I could always handle my insulation like this, as I have the exact same bag:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22456
    It may not be the best setup, but would work in a pinch if needed, and adding a reflective/space blanket would be a cheap way to increase the rating as well.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have a question then a suggestion:
    Do you have the ability to sew?
    If you do, then might I suggest looking into a DIY UQ kit that that Paul is selling at Arrowhead Equipment. I can 't get tp the link right now but they are in the KAQ UQ section of the AHE store. I have two of his synthetic UQ and have been to the temps that you are suggesting with them in use. They are a little more bulky than a down UQ but it will allow you to have some insulation a little cheaper.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Without spending much money you can design a excellent top quilt from your bag. By removing any excess material, zippers and the hood, you can eliminate a lot of bulk and weight. Use the insulation from your deconstruct to over stuff your "new" topquilt. Or add draft tubes to the long sides of your new quilt.
    If you take a close look at any topquilt produced, their not far off from a regular bag. They've just removed any extra material.

It takes a leap of commitment to deconstruct a piece of good equipment, so be sure your not looking to use the bags in the future as they stand now. Modifying them into something different does not mean they will be totally useless as a ground set up. It will take some fiddling to get a good ground set up going.

One of your other bags can be cut down to make a workable underquilt. Which in turn will lower the weight and bulk issues. A 40 x 50 or 50 x 60 panel of your bag will do nicely. Depending on your size and insulation needs.
    Again, you'll have to realize that once you pull out the scissors and start, its a one way road, and theres no turning back.

Your present list of equipment will work fine, do some test runs near the house. A backyard test gone wrong is an easy fix, just head in the house if it didn't work. Pads work. And your sleeping works. They just won't be as convienent as specific use items like a tq or uq.

And yes you need a tarp first. But that can be a simple item. Harbor frieght and wally's sells a decent tarp everyday. An 8 x 10 strung diagonally will provide plenty of coverage. While not the best choice, the poly tarp's will get you out and that's the main point.

Work with what you have and can afford. No one here will say a thing. We all started somewhere. And we all are always changing gear.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I agree with everyone here. My DIY priority list is shaping up like this:
    1. Hammock - this is the base I will build everything off of. Obviously, this is not complete until I also have the suspension needed to hang it, so I combine suspension in with the Hammock completion
    2. Tarp - if I want to go out sooner than later, this must come first. I can use safety pins, shock cord, and/or pads if I need to MacGuyver some insulation together
    3. Under Quilt - for me, this comes before my top quilt because I can use my mummy bag in a pinch, if need
    4. Top Quilt
    5. Underneath wind/rain protection in the form of light-weight silicone impregnated ripstop that goes below my Under Quilt

If I already had an outdoor Hammock, my top priority would be tarp. Too, if you don't have one, I think a stove would probably insert between tarp and Under Quilt.
    What's the priority list if you get into an emergency? 1. Water. 2. Shelter. 3. Food. 4. Warmth.

Errmm.... something like that.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Terriffic responses! Actually this is really where my list was to start with. I am not sure if that is because great minds think alike, or because after only month lurking around here I have been brainwashed into your way of thinking.

My next question, is do I buy a cheap tarp to get my by or do I go for the gold and get that custom silnylon job I want that is so perfect for me? It really becomes an issue of weight, which is more my own decision than anyone elses. (but feel free to give my any thoughts you may have on that too....)

I am also looking at the thread on making a DIY UQ from a kid's bag. My family still uses the other three 50° for various activities throughout the warmer part of the year. Also, in reality, I do not sew, and if I did, getting up to speed would take longer and more money and would therefore put off getting the other hammock accessories I need (yes, need!). But I will address my UQ questions separately and in the correct place.

Thanks for great suggestions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I just made pretty darn nice (if I do say so myself) Sil tarp for about $45 total. It was pretty easy even with cat cuts and finished in about 5 hours last Saturday. Might want to give that a whirl. I used the grey seconds from here and it had one little blemish close to the edge on one side.
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/coate...20OZ%20RIPSTOP
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    My next question, is do I buy a cheap tarp to get my by or do I go for the gold and get that custom silnylon job I want that is so perfect for me? It really becomes an issue of weight, which is more my own decision than anyone elses. (but feel free to give my any thoughts you may have on that too....)
    There's really no wrong choice. Just let your budget and weight-conscious concerns help you decide. DIY is a good option.

Spend some time practicing the pitch options on whichever you do choose.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast