Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Yep. I'm DIY'ing my first tarp, too. But, there are also some cheap to buy options out there if you just want something to tide ya over that doesn't weigh as much as a tarp from Wally's. Here's a link to the Kelty Noah that another forum member highlighted a few days back (but I can't find the post, darn it): http://www.rei.com/product/627834

That's the 9' x 9', but there's also a 12' x 12 for just a little more: http://www.rei.com/product/627835

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    agreed with all others saying the tarp must come next. i'd suggest you get something in the 10'x11' range, as this will cover you in all seasons, really. go with sil or if you can afford it,spinn, and buy right the 1st time. buy smart, buy once

you can get a $5 ccf pad from kmart or walmart for bottom insulation (it's actually very light) and as others said, use your sleeping bag unzipped as a top quilt...

from there you can upgrade your bottom insulation to an underquilt and your sleeping bag to a topquilt...

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Great suggestions all. I have decided to go with a Noah 12 for the time being. I found it here for 56.95 with free 2 day UPS ground: http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain...&Detail=081991. I wanted it by next weekend, so that should work for me.

I am also looking for a cheap (but stylish) kid's sleeping bag to rig as an UQ. With my 25° bag as a TQ, my fleece liner, a reflective pad, foam pad, and if necessary a hot water bottle, this should suffice for near sub freezing conditions, which is usually the worst I experience.

This will put my winter hammock sleeping base weight at a little over 10 lbs , but that is just under a pound less than where I was with my tent. My goal, with once I have what I want, is to bring this down to under 6 lbs, which is attainable for me. I have taken steps to lighten my load in other ways, as well, so I am still happy. It will just take until next winter to get it where I want it to be.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i'm not 100% sure, but i'd think b/t the 25 degree bag, the reflective pad, and the foam pad, you'll be fine down to 30. i don't think you'll need to carry the kid's sleepign bag or the fleece liner. but that's just me...

make sure you test stuff out with a bail out available

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Hello! Remember: FLORIDIAN! We can freeze to death at room temperature. I sleep cold, so I will be extra prepared.

And I will definately try this all out first! I will have 3 hangs under my belt before I try my first backpack (all weather dependent). We are planning a new trip with my older brother (AT thru hike veteran '76) and my son in the Smokies in November. My son will have my old tent, and in a pinch, he and I should be able to share it if my setup bails. I will of course be trying out stuff before that; my plan is to succeed, but I will have a backup.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Priority list? Yeah, I had a priority list... once. Went much the same as yours (hammock, tarp, underquilt, top quilt, etc). I planned to take it slow and spread the purchases out. Then I wound up buying everything at once.

My priority list should have been:
    1. Self-control
    2. Fiscal restraint
    3. Patience

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig2112 View Post
    Priority list? Yeah, I had a priority list... once. Went much the same as yours (hammock, tarp, underquilt, top quilt, etc). I planned to take it slow and spread the purchases out. Then I wound up buying everything at once.

My priority list should have been:
    1. Self-control
    2. Fiscal restraint
    3. Patience
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Love it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12