HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Bridge hammocks for Heavy Hangers

Sigh. Who said it is only an addiction if you are trying to quit?

I have a HH and a CJH. Now I am thinking about bridge hammocks........
    Spoke to Jacks R Better about the 250# weight limit on their model. The limit is due to the tension applied to the spreader bars.

I wa wondering if there are any other Heavy Hangers (AKA "Big Guys") out there who have DIY'ed a bridge out of Industrial Strength Materials? Winter is coming, and I am looking for a sewing and an engineering project.

Jim

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Tension / Compression

Hi,

Sorry if this is too nitpicking but being careful with how you describe the problem helps identify the possible solutions.

I am assuming that the spreader bars are the first point of failure as stated in your email. Therefore, if the spreader bars are re-designed, the other components will be able to withstand the increased weight load. Of course, you may end up having to improve the design in other areas after the spreader bars are no longer the first point of failure.

The spreader bars are in compression and are held in place by notches in the spreader bars that mate with the rings.

Buckling of the spreader bars is the failure mode we are trying to prevent.

The spreader bars are hollow to reduce weight. The hollow bars make the spreaders less resistant to buckling.

This is why you should not hang items from the spreader bars NOR use the spreader bar to pull yourself up, the spreader bars can not withstand a lot of lateral force while in compression, they will buckle much more easily when there are lateral loads present.

The easiest ways to make the spreader bars more resistant to buckling is to:

- decrease the spreader bar length (means a smalller circumference bridge so probably not a realisitic choice)

- change the material (from alumimum to steel)

- increase the wall thickness (taken to its extreme, use a solid round bar of aluminum and machine the notches)

- I don't think you can get a more secure connection then the notch/ring set-up but I did want to note that the end connections play a part in low much compression load will cause buckling.

I would test the final set-up with at least ~ 1.5 times the expected load.

I hope this helps,
    TJM
    Last edited by tjm; 09-29-2010 at 13:21.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A lot depends on what you are willing to put up with. I used 3' lengths of 3/4" hardwood dowel. I put a 2.5" bolt through the dowel and each end and placed the dowel through a 1.5" welded steel ring. Not light weight, compact or easy to transport by any stretch. But it works quite nicely and my wife doesn't go far from the car anyway.

I used 3/4 polypro webbing for the edges. The thin rope cuts my legs and I don't like it. Again not a UL solution but then my wife don't go UL as it is.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Further reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

http://www.engineersedge.com/column_...lumn_ideal.htm

With a little care, you could use these equations to decide between an aluminum tube with 0.xxx" wall thickness and a solid wood dowel of x.xx" diameter.

Actually, someone with a little time and a good handle on STATICS (most mech eng grads), could figure out what the compression loads on the spreader bars will be based on your weight load and then figure out the what spreader bars designs can withstand those loads with an appropraote safety margin.

If I take a stab at it, I will post it for you here.

good luck,
    TJM
    Last edited by tjm; 09-29-2010 at 22:32.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Jsaults:
    I am glad you asked this question..............I have been meaning to send a PM to Grizz and ask him some of the same question that you have. I thought about the hardwood dowel but then I want to ask the question about a bamboo spreader bar. Was an Idea several months ago but it got lost in Life. I will be following this with interest.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'd stay away from wood and bamboo. Growth patterns, wood density, knots, moisture content....to many variables.

Personally, up the wall thickness of your alum. spreader bar and you should be good.
    Of course it will be heavier to pack.

I sat in a bridge for a while and I weigh 330. Easton alum spreader bars.
    To be honest it wasn't all that comfy. And the narrowness seemed confining, hard to lay sideways in.
    Getting in and out seemed more difficult also.
    I can get plenty flat in my gathered ends. And sleep on my side.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I'd stay away from wood and bamboo. Growth patterns, wood density, knots, moisture content....to many variables.

Personally, up the wall thickness of your alum. spreader bar and you should be good.
    Of course it will be heavier to pack.

I sat in a bridge for a while and I weigh 330. Easton alum spreader bars.
    To be honest it wasn't all that comfy. And the narrowness seemed confining, hard to lay sideways in.
    Getting in and out seemed more difficult also.
    I can get plenty flat in my gathered ends. And sleep on my side.
    I'm not an expert on bamboo and can only speak for the patches within driving distance of home. But I have found bamboo to be strong and light weight. The variation from patch to patch is mostly in the diameter of the bamboo, from approximately 1/2" up to approximately 5" to 6". By carefully selecting the bamboo "tree" to cut, I can get a piece that is very straight and with a small taper from end to end for the length I need.

The variation in strength across the patches I have access to is not noticeable if there really is any.

Myself - personally think you are ruling out a material that has great advantages over a lot of other materials without actually having tried it.

growth patterns in bamboo is mostly in the diameter and length of the segments.

Density - maybe from state to state or coast to coast, but within a state, I would venture to guess that the density of bamboo is pretty consistent.

knots - bamboo doesn't have any.

moisture content - let it air dry or heat treat with a heat gun or propane torch. In about 30 minutes of heat treatment you will have a beautiful length of bamboo with the natural oils protecting it.

Now for wood I would agree if you are talking about picking it up along the trail. But as far as going to Lowes or Home Depot and buying wood dowels, again, none of your arguments really apply.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Yep, the spreader bars

appear to be the weak point of this design.

I am not an engineer, but I like to think like one. While wooden dowels of sufficient size will adequately resist the tension loads, I wonder if it might make more sense to simply increase the diameter and wall thickness of an aluminum tube to obtain the strength needed? After all, the compression and tension forces experienced when a tube bends are borne primarily by the outer surfaces - and a solid rod wastes material weight for a small increase in strength. I seem to remember that the main wing chord of a 747 is a massive tube, and not a rod.

A number of kayak paddle manufacturers have made paddles using vaulting pole stock. Somewhare I have a link to a source of carbon fiber tube, and also a sourc of CF "sock" that can be used to make DIY CF/epoxy tubes. Now, those would be light and stiff.

Of course, I would hate to have one snap so close to my head!

Another question rattling around in my brain is the relative comfort for someone who is broad-shouldered. While I normally sleep on my side, I would like to occasionally lay on my back for a spell (reading and such). In some of Griz's videos it appears that the shoulder width is snug. If the fabric is widened for more shoulder comfort, the bar would have to be longer, requiring it to be stiffer, which would require larger diameter, etc, etc.

Wow. This is makinf my brain hurt.

Jim

which JRB poles?

Spoke to Jacks R Better about the 250# weight limit on their model. The limit is due to the tension applied to the spreader bars.
    Just to clarify; are you talking about the older aluminum spreaders that were 7.2 ounces, or the heavier anodized ones that weigh 8.6?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Hmmm. I don't know which ones.

I spoke to them only a couple of months ago, so whatever is current.

Jim

Edit: Ah-Hah! I see now that the weight limit has been increased to 275# by changing to beefier spreader bars. The plot thickens! Maybe after I slim down I should buy myself a present..........
    Last edited by Jsaults; 09-29-2010 at 14:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast