Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I got the Winter INc on order from Stormcrow based on reviews like Hobie's, and impressions of it's versatility like Knotty's. Plus I have a Paul Gibson 2/3 Lost River for marginal temps (50-70F). But I had no issues popping for the Winter Inc as opposed to the 3 season Inc, which is only marginally less expensive for quite a bit less down/loft, imho. but if someone is a gram weenie for thier UL backpack, I suppose it makes sense (although more clothes or fleece may be needed with a 3 season in very cold, negating the weight savings).

Awaiting my WInc, nonurgent, Storm.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Anyone have a photo of the full length (winter) Incubator in a stuff sack? (I'm wondering about the size it might be when bagged.)

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

One quilt, at least initially

You can talk to Adam (Stormcrow) at Hammockgear and go over what temp range you need to cover,whether you are a warm vs. cold sleeper, etc. He can then have a framework for crafting a quilt that will cover your needs.

I have three quilts from Adam; a 3-season Incubator, slightly overstuffed with 800 fill-power down, as well as a winter Burrow and Incubator set VERY overstuffed with 900 fill-power down. (I live in Maine and like to hang in the winter as much as possible.)

The three-season incubator works well for me (I am a warm sleeper, i.e.; I tolerate a LOT of cold) down to about 20 degrees or so and the overstuffed winter quilts should get me comfortably down to around -20 or possibly lower.

That said, Knotty is correct that the main consideration is going to be weight. But having a quilt that will get you through most seasons may well be worth a few ounces.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilmoigan View Post
    You can talk to Adam (Stormcrow) at Hammockgear and go over what temp range you need to cover,whether you are a warm vs. cold sleeper, etc. He can then have a framework for crafting a quilt that will cover your needs.

I have three quilts from Adam; a 3-season Incubator, slightly overstuffed with 800 fill-power down, as well as a winter Burrow and Incubator set VERY overstuffed with 900 fill-power down. (I live in Maine and like to hang in the winter as much as possible.)

The three-season incubator works well for me (I am a warm sleeper, i.e.; I tolerate a LOT of cold) down to about 20 degrees or so and the overstuffed winter quilts should get me comfortably down to around -20 or possibly lower.

That said, Knotty is correct that the main consideration is going to be weight. But having a quilt that will get you through most seasons may well be worth a few ounces.
    Now *that* sounds like a fine setup! And my kind of camping!

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

Anyone have a photo of the full length (winter) Incubator in a stuff sack? (I'm wondering about the size it might be when bagged.)

(bump question)
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    mtncamper: I ordered mine 10/2, so when it comes, if no one has posted photos, I'll post. Plus I have Kelty cinch/stuff sacks that will make it pretty small, I'm guessing. I own a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree rated down bag and I can get that down (just for hiking, not at all for storing) to a very small size, like a 12 inch softball (do you have 12 inch, no regulation softball in your parts? The kind where one need not wear baseball gloves). Anyhoo, I should be getting it sometime soon and will snap pics for you (if no one does first)

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    mtncamper: I ordered mine 10/2, so when it comes, if no one has posted photos, I'll post. Plus I have Kelty cinch/stuff sacks that will make it pretty small, I'm guessing. I own a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree rated down bag and I can get that down (just for hiking, not at all for storing) to a very small size, like a 12 inch softball (do you have 12 inch, no regulation softball in your parts? The kind where one need not wear baseball gloves). Anyhoo, I should be getting it sometime soon and will snap pics for you (if no one does first)

Thanks CK1

I've been playing softball (modified pitch and slow pitch) since I was 20 (now 56), but I haven't seen or heard of that style of SB around here. By the way, you are talking a 12 inch "circumference" ball (standard size mens SB), not 12 inch "diameter" ball, right? That's mighty small size to be able to stuff a 15° bag to.

Looking forward to seeing the Incubator stuffed in bag!

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

my bad. 16 inch.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2102392_play-inch-softball.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne39TtacqoA

Sorry, mtncamper, 16 inch softball. No glove, short center fielder. Chicago style. Links above. I get my Big Agnes in Kelty sack to 16 inch softball size. I'll see what comes of the Winc.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    FWIW, while I consider down to be remarkably durable insulation, the less I have to compress it serves to better insure its longevity. I stuff it in the biggest stuff sack that suits my packload...and keep it stuffed no longer than necessary. Home storage is in BIG bags (think oversized laundry bags). No matter how you handle it, it's still far more durable than synthetics. The newer synthetics are better these days, but you can still lose 1-2% of their loft with each hard compression/stuffing.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123