Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Not everyone can afford an UQ let alone multiple UQs for different seasons.
    I wish someone had told me that three quilts ago!!

IMHO It would be loads easier to use a 3 season quilt in spring/summer/fall than a winter quilt in those seasons, hence my original post! Most do have different quilts that they use in different seasons! It was asked if the incubator would be too warm to use in the 40's and yes it would be that is why it's a 0* quilt, could it be done, yes you could use the winter incubator in the 40's, but remember that it is a full length UQ and will be "WAY" overkill (IMO), but like everyone say's, HYOH!
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 09-30-2010 at 13:06.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Cranky - I'm fortunate to have multiple UQs but I've used the 0-10F rated JRB Winter Nest in all kinds of temps w/o issue. The analogy isn't quite accurate but we sleep on the same mattress year round. Just use different sheets and blankets.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Cranky - I'm fortunate to have multiple UQs but I've used the 0-10F rated JRB Winter Nest in all kinds of temps w/o issue. The analogy isn't quite accurate but we sleep on the same mattress year round. Just use different sheets and blankets.
    True, but we also change the thermostat as well!
    I'm not discrediting what you are saying, you have a lot more experience than I with hammocking, but, like I said, "IMO" because "I" could never sleep like that as it would drive me nut's(well I'm really there now, but that is a different story)!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    IMHO It would be loads easier to use a 3 season quilt in spring/summer/fall than a winter quilt in those seasons, hence my original post! Most do have different quilts that they use in different seasons! It was asked if the incubator would be too warm to use in the 40's and yes it would be that is why it's a 0* quilt, could it be done, yes you could use the winter incubator in the 40's, but remember that it is a full length UQ and will be "WAY" overkill (IMO), but like everyone say's, HYOH!

Another aspect of this is where you hike. I can be out sleeping at 50F one night, hike fifteen miles, be 4-5000 feet higher in elevation, and have night low temps of 20-30F. We had snow the first week of August, one trip. It's not unheard of to have hail and snow in July.... Not going to take two underquilts on one trip, for sure.

Sometimes I envy the folks who can sleep all week with nothing but a poncho under them. My temps are a whole lot more variable than that.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

If I should end up with only 1 uq, it seems best to get as low a degree uq as you expect to go, since you can't adjust it "down" (no pun intended) but to so low of a degree rating , but you apparently can adjust "up".

Is it (Incubator) adjustable while your still lying in the hammock (assuming you have top access), or would you need to get out of the hammock to do minor adjustments, like creating more air gap or less air gap?

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

If I should end up with only 1 uq, it seems best to get as low a degree uq as you expect to go, since you can't adjust it "down" (no pun intended) but to so low of a degree rating , but you apparently can adjust "up".

Is it (Incubator) adjustable while your still lying in the hammock (assuming you have top access), or would you need to get out of the hammock to do minor adjustments, like creating more air gap or less air gap?

I've got an Incubator and, like other owners, LOVE IT! Best UQ I've owned yet as I hated dealing with a pad. I've taken mine easily into the 55-deg range without over-heating (mine's even overstuffed). Having a full UQ is a little different than a 2/3 or 3/4 in that you wouldn't reach around and slide it into a different position to cool yourself down. The Incubator is fairly big so it's going to cover top of head to toe (I'm 6ft). Just as you said though, open up the end channels before you get inside and it'll release a fair amount of heat. If you're still warm, just pull your top quilt down to your mid-section.

I can't tell you how happy I am with the purchase. If you're like me and want just one go-to UQ, this is it.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I have both a winter and 3 season Incubators. In the 3 season, in 45 - 50 degree weather, I am sleeping with the TQ barely on top of me. On the other hand, in the same temps with the Winter Incubator, my wife is wrapped up like a cocoon with her Sierra Sniveller TQ, and thinks she's in heaven.

As others have said, I think you can adjust to the conditions. I always run with the rule, "better to have it and not need it, that need it and not have it." Of course there is always a weight penalty for that philosophy.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Thanks to all for the replies. They have definately answered questions I had!
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    just when i think i have it all figured out i go and read a review like hobiecat's... now i'm all messed up b/t the winter crowsnest and a 3 season incubator. i'll only have 1 UQ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast