Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your kind words. I had a great trip and really enjoyed bring it back to you in this log. Next time though, I should probably proof read it and do a spell check before hitting submit!!

Bcaron:
    I don't believe the canoe was red, but it was a solo canoe. It sure does sounds like him. How many 50 year old solo paddlers from Buffalo could there be?

As far as Shawnh's canoe; yes, I do believe it was a 17 ' Souris River. They did comment on how stable it was, and I can tell you, they always seemed to be passing Vgnbkr and myself on the water. Very nice lines, and if you're into lake traveling, then it's probably a solid bet. I really like the visible weave of the Kevlar and at 43 lbs it's sweet. Those clean lines make twisting down a creek a little more challenging, but that's the trade off you have to make. Incidentally, Lipstick comes in at 45 lbs, and twists and turns like a belly dancer barefoot in the snow.

Shug:
    Yeah my ugly DIY cousin of Shawh's Bushbuddy worked like a charm. Hungry little blighter though, since the main burn chamber is maybe half an inch narrower the BB, it doesn't hold as much wood. I can see that it takes some getting used to. I experimented using some bigger pieces of wood cut into small thumb sized pieces, maybe 3/4" by 2" - 3". Not bad. Got a good base of coals, but pencil-sized twigs still seemed to keep the flame nice and bright. I feel I need an alternate heat source when I want a quick "breakie". I brought my MSR Whisperlight as backup, but maybe one of the half dozen pressurized pop can alcohol stoves I've made would do the trick. I just like the roar of the Whisperlight and the comfort knowing that I could boil up a full bath of water in the time it take an alcohol stove to heat up a cup of coffee (you know, give or take a reasonable margin of error).

As far as my rig goes, thankee much. Having made everything except the Hennessy, although I did do a DIM mod 4 zipper on it, I'm quite happy with it. You might remember we emailed back and forth a bit on tarps last winter. Well that's the result. It's a little big, but I've got a versatile system that'll keep me high and dry. I've also got a pair of DIY Griz-Beaks made out of some old pumpkin orange ripstop I had kicking about. They're so bright they hurt my feelings, but they make my BlackCat look like it'd be at home at a Cincinnati Bengals' tailgate party. I like the black though, and have enough Silnylon left over from the tarp to do a proper job on a pair of black beaks. I'm going to get some of the super reflective ribbon that Vgnbkr had on his PDF. Holy-moly!! When hit by a flashlight, it literally glowed like it was battery-powered. Dangle a strip or two as removable dripstrings so I can find my rig in the dark and then take them off if I need to. But, with all those guy lines sticking out, it's probably a good idea to let my fellow campers know where I am. Hammockers seem to know how to step carefully.

Oh yeah and keep those videos coming. They're great fun to watch and I usually even learn a thing or two. One thing I definitely remembered was NOT to power up with a can of smoked oysters BEFORE trying the Devil's Staircase!!!! Yup. That would'a been bad!!

sk8rs_dad:
    Yeah, even though I know we all had a great time, it would've been nice to have more of the BonEchoer's up there. There's always next time!!! Just make sure you and sk8r get out soon, before the colours fade and the leaves come down.

Brian:
    Yeah. What can I say? Vgnbkr's pack was one third the weight of mine. One Third!!! I guess common sense doesn't weight much! It didn't help that I brought fishing gear. That always adds up. But hey, that's canoeing. All told, it wasn't too bad. And "No", I PM'd our missing Windsorite, but have received no answer as yet. Hope he's okay.
    Last edited by Chard; 09-30-2010 at 19:30.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    sk8rs_dad:
    Yeah, even though I know we all had a great time, it would've been nice to have more of the BonEchoer's up there. There's always next time!!! Just make sure you and sk8r get out soon, before the colours fade and the leaves come down.
    We were out with the Scouts the same time you were paddling, which is why we couldn't canoe, and we'll be out again for a couple of weekends in October/November on patrol camps. Early February we're winter camping. The plan is for a 3km snowshoe in to Legewade with klondike sleds, bivy & hammocks on the Friday, quintzes on Saturday night, assuming we've got enough snow on the ground. Then things get busy again in May and June with another 5 or 6 weekends of camping, canoe trips, and hikes. August we're likely doing another week at Haliburton Scout Reserve. So have no fear about us getting out.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    Looks like a great trip. I think I also met that solo guy from Buffalo last spring.
    Late 50ish...red Mad River solo boat? Should have tried a Chartreuse Cleo for the lakers.

It looks like Shawnh and Michael were paddling a Souris River....how did they like it? I've been looking at getting one of those next year.

Blair
    Yes, my canoe is the 17' Souris River Quetico... I like it a lot. It isn't nearly as fast as the Langford Nahanni (for example), but on the big lakes it's fantastic. I do the majority of my paddling in La Verendrye, which has a lot of big lakes and is often very windy. In equal conditions a Prospector will be getting blown around, waves washing in over the gunwales, etc. and in the Quetico we'll be tracking (relatively) straight and no bouncing around on the waves. A little bit tricky to paddle in close quarters but you can't have everything! btw, the capacity on the 17' is absolutely massive, it's very broad across the beam for a good amount of its length.

Shawn

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Thanks for the great writeup, chardpp! I didn't get too many pictures from the trip, but I uploaded a few here.

Shawn

Thanks for the virtual trip. I was planning a leisurely 10 day solo trip through the same area in late August but scheduling conflicts messed things up a the last minute. At least I got to see some of the route through your pics.

If you guys plan another Algonquin hang next year, I'll do my best to join. Though I'm one of those traditional trippers with a solo 14ft cedar canvas canoe and other old fashioned gear.
    My Paddle Making & Canoe Site: paddlemaking.blogspot.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

algonquin trip

great trip report. looks like the weather cooperated for you. Great pics of the fall colours and each of the hammocks setups.

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for taking us along on your trip. Made me homesick for the Quetico. Been going there for over 20 years, but missed this year due to an injury to my canoe partner. Hopefully, next year. Really enjoy fishing out of the Souris River Quetico 17'. Very stable and tracks well even in high winds.
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks guys.. As you can tell, I really enjoyed myself, both on the trip and in the positive response I've received from sharing the trip with HF.

I will definitely be doing a repeat trip to Algonquin next fall, and very likely at least a couple of other times during the spring and summer of 2011. I'll be sure to post an invitation/kick-off in the trip forums a couple of months beforehand.

Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12