ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps

joanns fabric for bugnet

what kind of material for bugnets are you guys using; that is available at joanns? i went to joanns and was a bit confused, Tulle looks like it would work and at 1.99/yd, how can you go wrong? but it didn't seem too strong...any ideas?

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Tulle isn't as strong as regular bugnet, but I've been using it for awhile and it works.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tulle comes in several different grid sizes so you'll want to make sure you get a small grid or you might as well have nothing. Them little nasties can get through some wicked small spaces. Tulle is used in the clothing industry to add stiffness and shape to otherwise "soft hand" fabrics. It is stiffened and used for bridal veils, bows and other frou-frou decorative items. If you decide to use it, wash it first and it will soften somewhat. Chiffon is another choice for bug net which works passably well. It has the opposite characteristic of Tulle and is very soft. It is used for skirts and trains which need to fall loosely and softly with a very elegant touch. It also comes in different grid sizes.

Chiffon can be difficult to use if you don't want a "saggy" look but it is generally a tighter weave than tulle. Tulle can be hard to use if don't want a "crisp" and "hard" look to the net. Neither one has the exact characteristic of bug net but each has it's own quirks. Both will work well if you are willing to deal with those quirks. Both are cheaper than specific bug net.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Tulle comes in several different grid sizes so you'll want to make sure you get a small grid or you might as well have nothing. Them little nasties can get through some wicked small spaces. Tulle is used in the clothing industry to add stiffness and shape to otherwise "soft hand" fabrics. It is stiffened and used for bridal veils, bows and other frou-frou decorative items. If you decide to use it, wash it first and it will soften somewhat. Chiffon is another choice for bug net which works passably well. It has the opposite characteristic of Tulle and is very soft. It is used for skirts and trains which need to fall loosely and softly with a very elegant touch. It also comes in different grid sizes.

Chiffon can be difficult to use if you don't want a "saggy" look but it is generally a tighter weave than tulle. Tulle can be hard to use if don't want a "crisp" and "hard" look to the net. Neither one has the exact characteristic of bug net but each has it's own quirks. Both will work well if you are willing to deal with those quirks. Both are cheaper than specific bug net.
    Chiffon! that was the other fabric choice i couldn't remember...thanks ramblinrev!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is a third choice which I have never used but might hold some promise. That would be "organza". I believe it is commonly called "stripper's net" in the costume trade. It is virtually invisible when left natural and very tightly woven. I don't know the precise characteristics of it but it is carried by many wedding fabric stores. From my experience, Joannes usually has a rather full selection of bridal fabrics. It comes in narrow widths (42/44") if I understand correctly. It might be worth checking out.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

I have used the Joanns organza with good success. It was stronger then the tulle bugnets I made and has held up alot better. I have used it as a tube and also as a permanently sewed on bugnet.

To someone who hadn't had much experience with nano-noseeum that organza almost looks identical. However if you compare them side by side, one can feel the differences as the organza has a softer hand.

The nano-noseeum I got from Quest is a lot more durable, the organza is easly snagged. During the sewing process I had to be really careful with it to make sure I didn't run it over a sharp table corner or something as it would quickly put a snag in the fabric. Needless to say it still works and is holding up alot better than the tulle bugnets that seem to rip without much effort.

Joanns had bolts of it in different widths and colors. The black looks really good. In the end though, you could order nano-noseeum for almost the same price as you are going to pay Joanns. Quest, was one of the cheapest I found at the time. Even with Joans 50% coupon you would be at $4 a yard.

BG

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We like Organza. Available locally at JoAnnes. Using a 50% off JoAnnes coupon, the Organza isn't any more expensive than noseeum or nanoseeum. We pay sales tax, but that can actually be less than S&H. The width we have gotten at the local JoAnnes is 60".

The weave is finer (the holes smaller) than noseeum. This allows less air circulation and it can be warmer inside than either noseeum or mosquito netting. Mosquito netting allows the best air circulation, so if noseeum isn't needed and you want a cooler covering, use mosquito netting.

Also, Organza is "softer" than noseeum which means it hangs with more sag.

And Organza MUST be hemmed or it will ravel and never stop. noseeum doesn't suffer this problem.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Correction....

Just for the record I gave some misinformation in one of my previous posts. Organza is not the same as strippers net. In checking with me professional costumer wife I found strippers net is a knit while organza is woven. So spare yourself the "two heads" stare and don't ask for strippers net. Organza is what you want if you are going that direction.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've used organza. Since it's white, I had some black spray dye from the automotive store (used to dye carpet). It worked pretty well...

My local Joanne's also has white mosquito netting that is 72 in wide. For my son, it made a great one-piece bug sock...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    I just made a bug sock from some tulle I got from Joanna's. It came 10' wide, and I bought 3 yards. With the 50% discount, it cost me around $3 and about an hour of time. Even if it only lasts me though the MAHHA, I can refine it over the winter. Can't beat the price!

• + New Posts