Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images

Another Hammock battle!

Here we go! In the blue corner we have the gathered end hammock and in the red corner we have the bridge hammock

Tell your opinion on your favorite style, pros and cons of both, personal experience with either one. This will be a tool I think for the great in flux of new members on their decision making. I held a hammock battle in the past and alot of people weighed in on their favorite and least favorite hammock and why. So lets get it on!

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    And photos taken from inside the hammock would be nice. Does a bridge block your view?
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Can't we all get along?

Photos of Views ??

When I am sitting in my hammock, the views are fantastic. When I am lying down in my hammock, I am sleeping.

Con:

Need a bigger tarp compared to most gathered end hammocks. (not a concern for me YMMV)

Weight penalty compared to most gathered end hammocks. (not a concern for me YMMV)

Need to use a pad to achieve "good" shape (this one might just be me YMMV)

I can't do that neat trick Shug does in a few of his winter videos, where he reaches over the side of the hammock in the morning to get his coffee mug off of his stove while remaining all bundled up.

Pro:

I can easily move around into various sleeping positions throughout the night.

I have slept comfortably on my stomach in my bridge; is that even possible in a GE hammock?

Summer tarp is the same as the winter tarp. (a Pro for me YMMV)

UQ are easy to make and set-up.

Sleeping pads and sleeping bags are easy to use.

Conclusion

My JRB BMB is the perfect hammock for me.

I hope you find the perfect hammock for you.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    [QUOTE=tjm;328840]Photos of Views ??

It's an honest question. I've never tried a bridge. They seem coffin like to me What I'm trying to find out is, can you see anywhere but up in a bridge?

Hammock
    Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Actually, it is possible, and comfortable, to sleep on your stomach in a gathered-end hammock. I sleep on my stomach regularly in my bed hammock, and it's just as easy in my camping hammock.

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    optimator,

What I'm trying to find out is, can you see anywhere but up in a bridge?

Yes, when I am in my bridge I have the same field of view as in a gathered end hammock. I think what you might be getting at is that I have to change position slightly when it is bed time.

Aduro,

Kewl, I must have had more slack in my GE hammock than you have in yours cause there was no way I was able roll over at night without waking up and no way I could sleep on my stomach.

Thanks,
    TJM
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=optimator;328848]
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Photos of Views ??

It's an honest question. I've never tried a bridge. They seem coffin like to me What I'm trying to find out is, can you see anywhere but up in a bridge?
    Actually the view from my TeeDee Bridge is superior to the view from any gathered end hammock I have tried. A lot less fabric to block the view. And this is laying down in both kinds.

I can see out over my feet, above my head and out to either side.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    [QUOTE=TiredFeet;329334]
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post

Actually the view from my TeeDee Bridge is superior to the view from any gathered end hammock I have tried. A lot less fabric to block the view. And this is laying down in both kinds.

I can see out over my feet, above my head and out to either side.
    Thank you TiredFeet. That's the kind of info I was after

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My comments in blue

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Photos of Views ??

When I am sitting in my hammock, the views are fantastic. When I am lying down in my hammock, I am sleeping. The views from my Bridge are superior to any gatehred end hammock I have ever used, sitting or laying down

Con:

Need a bigger tarp compared to most gathered end hammocks. (not a concern for me YMMV) TRUE

Weight penalty compared to most gathered end hammocks. (not a concern for me YMMV) FALSE - a properly designed Bridge will be lighter than almost any end hammock which can accommodate the same person

Need to use a pad to achieve "good" shape (this one might just be me YMMV) Don't know - never used a pad inside a Bridge. When a pad is desired, I've always just uesd TeeDee's pad holder under the Bridge.

I can't do that neat trick Shug does in a few of his winter videos, where he reaches over the side of the hammock in the morning to get his coffee mug off of his stove while remaining all bundled up. Funny - I do this all the time. I don't reach for the coffee, but for the sit pad on the ground beside the hammock (used to drape over the arc for exit)

Pro:

I can easily move around into various sleeping positions throughout the night. True - but then I always found moving around even in gathered end hammocks easy

I have slept comfortably on my stomach in my bridge; is that even possible in a GE hammock? Don't know since I cannot sleep on my stomach in any hammock or bed

Summer tarp is the same as the winter tarp. (a Pro for me YMMV)

UQ are easy to make and set-up. True - a properly designed under quilt for the bridge is a no brainer to make and easier to setup.

Sleeping pads and sleeping bags are easy to use. Don't know - used only quilts (top and bottom) and never used a pad inside any hammock

Conclusion

My JRB BMB is the perfect hammock for me.

I hope you find the perfect hammock for you.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Actually I guess I should say that TeeDee and I are heavily biased towards Bridge Hammocks because they suit our needs better than any other hammock we have tried. A lot of that is because TeeDee (and myself to small degree) have been able to research the Bridge design and then design the Bridge Hammock that fits what we like, want and need.

I guess if I had to choose a gathered end, it would be the Hennessy - the bottom entry has advantages and the built-in bug net means no zippers or Velcro to fuss with. Just get in and you're good to sleep and protected. Some people don't like the bottom entry, but I like it since it closes automatically and I don't have to be bothered with closing the bug net and if you have the tarp down low and tight for bad weather, the bottom entry is the best means of getting into the hammock.

As far as comfort for a gathered end hammock, I would have to vote for the Hennessy Safari. It is just the most comfortable gathered end hammock on the planet. Wouldn't use it for backpacking unless someone else was carrying the pack.

All hammock designs have things that more or less make them unique from all the other designs. Some of the unique design points will work for some and not for others. You have to decide what design elements are important to you and your style of camping and sleeping and then find the design that fits your priorities or create the design that fits your needs, wants and desires.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast