Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hangouts in AZ

Hangouts in AZ

Are there any tree hangers out there from the Az area, and if so do you guys and gals get together for any hangouts in this area?.Im new to the site and new to hammocks altogether but would love to attend a hangout, but have not seen any mentioned in the Az area.. All you Az hangers chime in, and lets try to get a hangout in AZ.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=arizona

His last activity was almost 3 months ago though.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=arizona

His last activity was almost 3 months ago though.
    .Thanks for the link.
    There are some excelent areas to hike and hang here in Az. I live around the Phoenix area, and its all scrub brush and desert around my area, but the good thing, "and only thing that keeps me sain" is i am 45min from the Tonto National Forest, and only 3hr from flagstaff/sedona area so its not too bad...I am new to hammocks, and have not been able to get out with mine (besides the back yard) but im planing to go out Monday and Tue night outside of Superior in the Tonto at Oak Flat camp grounds. Its a car camp area, and pretty rocky, but i know a nice spot there that is just a short hike that has plenty of nice trees to hang from..
    Im not a big fan of camping at the Oak flat camp grounds anymore , becuse it has turned into a party hangout and gets quit loud durring the weekends so i only go now durring the week...The last two times i have been there, "car camping with a tent", i had to run off this pice of chit that was trying to steal some of my gear one night, "its funny when someone hears the distinct sound of a 12ga being racked that thay tend to get the hell away from you, "No more problems that night" The other time there was some young punks that wanted to fight me becuse i went over to them at two in the morning and politly asked them to hold down the noise alittle..Two started towards me ,(one had a club in hand) and i whiped open my ASP baton and pulled back my jacket to reviel my springfield 45, and that took the fight right out of them "they apoligised and packed up and left"...

This me and my niece at Oak Flat acouple of weeks ago (it was her first camping trip ever)

My niece standing in a wild hog nest

A better veiw of the area.. (They filmed most of the Movie Eight Legged Freaks here) Its hard to see but we where standing by a Indian rock wall ruin
    Last edited by spaceweaseal; 11-10-2007 at 21:28.

Images
    I have never yet hammocked in AZ. But there would be many great places in the Aspens and Ponderosa pines of the Moggollon Rim, San Francisco Peaks, White Mountains, Etc. I used to live in Phoenix and Flagstaff, and while I loved the camping, I did not know about hammocks then.

Maybe you can PM WarEagleNR88 , as FanaticFringer said . He lives in Litchfield park and has been hammocking in the White Mountains. Good luck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Hanging in AZ

Hi Spaceweaseal. I live in the Phx area, and do a lot of hanging around here. Just last weekend I backpacked out to Reavis Ranch in the Superstition Wilderness and spent sat night in my HH Hyperlite. It got a bit chilly (for here), somewhere in the mid 30's or so. It put my JRB quilts to the test. I have also hung in the Mount Baldy Wilderness and Chiricahua Wilderness areas. Desert areas are a challenge for sure, but there are also plenty of trees around here. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Heading to Tucson on tuesday, anyone know good places around there? Thanks
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelanddime View Post
    Heading to Tucson on tuesday, anyone know good places around there? Thanks
    I have been meaning to check out Mt Wrightson, just south of Tucson. It is one of the "sky island" mountain ranges in the southern part of the state. You will need to do a little climbing to get up to the trees, but the views will be rewarding. Water sources should be abundant this time of year. You should get an update on trail conditions though - we just had another winter storm pass through the state and snow could be an issue. Good luck with your hang!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    both Dirt4Dinner and I are in Phoenix area. We have found very interesting ways to hang a hammock. I have been hanging for only 6 mo. or so but intend on year round hanging once I get my system finalized. Right now is a great time as temps in the lower Sonoran are reaching the 50's for lows. In the next few weeks as the valley floor heats up you can find great places amongst the Upper Sonoran and Transition zones with trees like sycamore, cottonwood, scrub oak, velvet ash, walnut, and pinyon. Head to areas like Four Peaks wilderness for Ponderosa pine. Mazatzal is also going to present excellent hanging this spring. (pronounced ma-zaht-ZAHL, like Mazatlan)
    you can also hit the transition zone areas like Sycamore canyon up by Sedona and some other places like Mogollon rim, which has the largest single stand of Ponderosa in the world. Id wait on the "rim" for a couple months tho.
    a group hang sounds like its' in the works!?

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Wow, I didn't expect that many possibilities...

I'll run these by my buddy when I get out there tomorrow and see what he says... He's trying to get out of a day or two of work so we can actually camp and not just day hike... I'm pumped
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    By the way, I forgot to mention that I went backpacking/Hammocking at Aravaipa Canyon about 3 weeks ago. That is another place where you will find abundant trees all along the stream. It is located fairly close to Tuscon. You do need to get advance reservations on the BLM website, however.

Hey mikeinfhaz! Let me know if you get a group hang going, I'll try to make it. It'll be a welcome change to not be the only hanger in the crowd.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast