Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    whoopie sling, DC

Amsteel through Dutch Clip?

I'm changing to the Dutch Biner for my suspension, but I REALLY like the Dutch Clip for convenience in hooking up to the tree and the ability to have my suspension all in one piece. With the shorter tree strap/amsteel loop set-up, with a bigger tree it would be the amsteel, not the webbing going through the Dutch Clip. Are there any safety issues with this? Do you reach some sort of critical mass with using BOTH the Dutch Biner and the Dutch Clip together?

Thanks, Dutch, for the redesign on the Dutch Clip. I've got a pair on order from the Jacks. What's next from your fertile brain?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You have some great options available. You can have an all in one that you can disconnect so so the huggers don't get the hammock wet or sappy when packed up. I prefer to use the DC so it connects webbing to webbing. I don't recommend using the clip with amsteel as it could slip out easier. You can put an amsteel loop on the hugger and if the tree is bigger you can use the biner and if it is smaller you can use the clip. If you really want a shorter hugger, like say 3 foot I prefer to fore-go the clip and just pass the biner through the one hugger loop and connect to the amsteel loop. That way the whoopie makes your hugger adjustable.

It's really great now that you can buy whoopiee, huggers, amsteel loops, Dutch Biners, and Dutch clips all at JRB now. Really one stop shopping.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    whoopie sling, DC
    Thanks, Dutch. That answers my question. It's great to be able to talk to the inventor himself! Love this forum!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Yep, can't beat Dutch Clips!!! Love mine

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've used my Dutch Clips on the amsteel of my whoopies when the tree was too big for the huggers. I did two things to make sure they wouldn't slip out, or load the clip in a weird way.

1.) Placed the huggers so the opening in the Dutch clip faces upward. That way, when you weight the amsteel, it is naturally pulled deeper into the clip, in the direction of the thickest metal and away from the little hooks where it could get snagged in weird ways.

2.) Rotated the huggers around the tree so that the Dutch Clip / amsteel connection is off to one side of the tree. This forms a sort of V in the amsteel, wrapped around the Dutch clip. The pressure pushes the clip into the tree, helping hold everything in place so it doesn't shift around.

I would also only do this if your clips are sewn into the webbing loop of your hugger, to keep them from moving around, and with the knowledge that this is not an "accepted use of the clips, and if you fall on your butt it's no one's fault but your own

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I've used my Dutch Clips on the amsteel of my whoopies when the tree was too big for the huggers. I did two things to make sure they wouldn't slip out, or load the clip in a weird way.

1.) Placed the huggers so the opening in the Dutch clip faces upward. That way, when you weight the amsteel, it is naturally pulled deeper into the clip, in the direction of the thickest metal and away from the little hooks where it could get snagged in weird ways.

2.) Rotated the huggers around the tree so that the Dutch Clip / amsteel connection is off to one side of the tree. This forms a sort of V in the amsteel, wrapped around the Dutch clip. The pressure pushes the clip into the tree, helping hold everything in place so it doesn't shift around.

I would also only do this if your clips are sewn into the webbing loop of your hugger, to keep them from moving around, and with the knowledge that this is not an "accepted use of the clips, and if you fall on your butt it's no one's fault but your own
    Good ideas, MM. I'm going to incorporate your suggestions (cc. to my lawyer ).

As an aside, I appreciate your correct use of punctuation (gold star from the Apostrophe Protection Society" - a real organization; Google it), marred only by failing to close your quotation and omitting a final period in favor of an emoticon.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Considering the fact that I haven't written an academic paper in over a year, I'm shocked my writing style hasn't devolved into barely-coherent ramblings. Or maybe that more accurately describes my scientific papers. I always forget which one it is.

• + New Posts