Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,243
    Images
    207
    The coldest I remember was 15F in the George Washington National Forest in Virginia. I was miserable. I also had a 20F down bag, so I was probably pushing it anyway. There was a slight breeze and I even had a Nalgene with hot water in with me. Soon my head was hurting from the cold and I knew I was in bad shape. Luckily I was car camping with the scouts (all snug in their tents) and I ran to my car and ran the engine to get warmed up. Probably my most miserable night in a hammock ever.

    From what I know now, I could probably make a closed-cell foam pad work at that temperature, but I think there would need to be some serious reward money involved.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Festus Hagen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Malta, NY
    Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    528
    Dejoha, you did all right. To me it seems like sleeping bag ratings are more "you won't die at this temp" than "comfort ratings". I have a 15 bag I like a lot but I really don't care to sleep in it much below 32F. I tested it at 20F sleeping on a cot with a thick foam pad... slept ok for 4 hours and woke up cold. I definitely wouldn't last too long at 15F with that bag and just a CCF pad...


    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    The coldest I remember was 15F in the George Washington National Forest in Virginia. I was miserable. I also had a 20F down bag, so I was probably pushing it anyway. There was a slight breeze and I even had a Nalgene with hot water in with me. Soon my head was hurting from the cold and I knew I was in bad shape. Luckily I was car camping with the scouts (all snug in their tents) and I ran to my car and ran the engine to get warmed up. Probably my most miserable night in a hammock ever.

    From what I know now, I could probably make a closed-cell foam pad work at that temperature, but I think there would need to be some serious reward money involved.

  3. #23
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,243
    Images
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    Dejoha, you did all right. To me it seems like sleeping bag ratings are more "you won't die at this temp" than "comfort ratings". I have a 15 bag I like a lot but I really don't care to sleep in it much below 32F. I tested it at 20F sleeping on a cot with a thick foam pad... slept ok for 4 hours and woke up cold. I definitely wouldn't last too long at 15F with that bag and just a CCF pad...
    Thanks Festus!

    I think you're right -- the bag wasn't much help. In fact, I think it was a synthetic bag, not down. Man, my memory is fading! Yes, it was a 20F Coleman Klickitat x20. That was early on in my backpacking days and I've learned a hard lesson that inexpensive, synthetic bags are best used for living room sleepovers. I think that 20F bag should have been rated at 60F.

    My 20F down bag is cozy at 15F.

  4. #24
    Seor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,241
    Images
    11
    It's sort of amazing how soon lessons learner drop off the radar once a product has been discontinued. Ed Speer sold his Segmented Pad Extenders (SPE) up until the merger this Spring. If you use one of those, you can stack pads and have wings on the side good down to as low as you dare. I used my DIY SPE many times in the teens with no issues. I stacker a Big Agnes insulated air core on top of a blue foam pad using blue foam wings and slept pretty darned toasty at 15 with a 15 synthetic bag. It tends to stay put even in a single layer hammock, but the volume will raise you higher in the hammock.

    There are many ways to overcome low temperatures and a small budget. I prefer my UQ's, but I'll take a pad set up with me every now and then just for a change. Pads also withstand wet conditions more than UQ's.

  5. #25
    Senior Member rigidpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Posts
    1,147
    Images
    57
    I made it down to 23* with a military poncho/liner UQ and Walmart blue pad.
    Last edited by rigidpsycho; 10-16-2010 at 10:01.
    Chris

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    59
    My lowest is -2 degrees at the Colorado WInter Hang last Febuary, up at 9,500 ft. I used a Warbonnet Blackbird with a Walmart pad with wings and space blanket, Big Agnes pad, and an old down bag of unknown rating (it's a good one!). I was toasty warm.

    ....A Nalgene bottle of hot water tucked in there against the femoral artery, and having my feet tucked in the liners of my Sorrel boots helped out, too.

    Here's the thread for how to make the DIY pad - space blanket combo:

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14196
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

  7. #27
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,908
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    It's sort of amazing how soon lessons learner drop off the radar once a product has been discontinued. Ed Speer sold his Segmented Pad Extenders (SPE) up until the merger this Spring. If you use one of those, you can stack pads and have wings on the side good down to as low as you dare. I used my DIY SPE many times in the teens with no issues. I stacker a Big Agnes insulated air core on top of a blue foam pad using blue foam wings and slept pretty darned toasty at 15 with a 15 synthetic bag. It tends to stay put even in a single layer hammock, but the volume will raise you higher in the hammock.

    There are many ways to overcome low temperatures and a small budget. I prefer my UQ's, but I'll take a pad set up with me every now and then just for a change. Pads also withstand wet conditions more than UQ's.
    What Wisenber said exactly! Been there and done that, my 1st ever "toasty" hammock night below 20. Good old Speer SPE and a couple of stacked pads.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sebastian, Florida
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    The answer to that question is already in the thread, either add wings or criss-cross with a cut-down pad.

    You can also buy larger (and better) foam and shape it to your needs... check out options at http://www.foambymail.com/closedcell.html (I'd get the minicell) but of course we're talking more $$ now.
    I just went to the site. I am wondering which thickness is sufficient for 30 deg and above. I have a 30 deg colman sleeping bag as it was the widest I could find.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Festus Hagen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Malta, NY
    Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    528
    I can't say what will work for everyone, but I've used 3/8" wally-world pads below 30F, although I was using a backpacking 15F-rated mummy bag which I zip into.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny's_Trike View Post
    I just went to the site. I am wondering which thickness is sufficient for 30 deg and above. I have a 30 deg colman sleeping bag as it was the widest I could find.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sebastian, Florida
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I can't say what will work for everyone, but I've used 3/8" wally-world pads below 30F, although I was using a backpacking 15F-rated mummy bag which I zip into.
    Thanks for the input. I just checked and a piece 48"x72" is $42 with shipping. It will roll to approximately 10" in diameter. My plan was leaning towards cutting it in a mummy configuration, but wide enough to keep me on it at all times. But I think I can spend that much or a little more and get something not so bulky. I just have to make sure it is wide enough as I have that old age arthritis and getting cold would kick my butt.

    Any suggestions, please dont hesitate

Similar Threads

  1. Walmart blue CCF pad - making it work
    By Bhuij in forum Pads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 18:42
  2. Is this the blue walmart pad?
    By rakhan in forum Pads
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 12:49
  3. Difference between walmart blue pads?
    By jjthedog in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 20:38
  4. The famous Walmart blue PAD??
    By ALD in forum Pads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 14:12
  5. Blue Gum Forest Blue Mountains Australia
    By pazza in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 20:57

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •